Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, pictures had to be taken from my cellphone, don't expect them to be very clear! :|
And also... there may be some English problems (the tech stuff)! :p

What you need:
- 12 sprocket key:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3931/dsc00590vu1.jpg
- ALOT of patience (you'll see why)

1- Open the lid on the arm rest:

2- Take out the "floor" piece:

3- Find the sprocket on the end of the cable that comes from the e-brake. You'll find that there are 1 cable "coming in" that splits in to 2 (for each whell):

4- To pull so that you get less travel, you should tighten the sprocket (rotate it clockwise). If you want to loosen it, rotate it the other way. Since this is a very tight area, you can only move a few millimeters in each rotation.

WARNING:
Do not tighten it to much, you may set it to be always braking.

When if that out the "flooring" piece, you can see 2 bolts. If you loosen them you can tune the center console alignment. There are a few reports that the arm rest touches the seat when you open it. This is how you should center it.

·
Premium Member
Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi Optimum Plus
142 Posts
Wow, well done for that information, there shoudn't be anymore comments about the hand brake again :)

·
Registered
Cee'd 1.6 EX CRDi
117 Posts
Thanks Freakzoide, i was going to do this DIY sooner or later, i had seen myself that cable under piece of mat so i thought i'll experiment on this in the future.It looks like prety straight forward job and ther's not much that can go wrong as long as you don't overtighten it. I'll post my results later.

·
Registered
cee'd 1.6 CRDi LS
633 Posts
Bloody great!

I've just been out and adjusted mine :)

It now locks on the 4th click. I used a one of these which make life a lot easier.

·
Registered
Cee'd 1.6 EX CRDi
117 Posts
Sorted!

Sorted my one aswell, now handbrake starts working at second click and have a good hold at 4-5 clicks. Have to get used to shorter travel of lever and a bit stronger pull but in general it's much beter then it was(why they wouldn't do this at the KIA factory or why local dealers wouldn't bother?).

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
I did second service recently, and I asked them to tighten my handbrake. However. they didn't do it from within the cabin, they removed my rear wheels and did some adjustments there. I don't know why they prefer not to do it from within cabin.

·
Registered
Cee'd SW LS Diesel Auto
48 Posts
Thks for the info FrEaKZoIdE, yr contribution makes this forum a worthwhile read. Done and dusted on mine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was surprised when I first realized that they have put a piece of upholstery in that box instead of a piece of plastic or something. Somebody could lose some small items stored inside, or even block a handbrake. :( Ceed seems well put together overall but there are a few details like this and poor quality plastics at the bottom part of the inside door panels.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was surprised when I first realized that they have put a piece of upholstery in that box instead of a piece of plastic or something. Somebody could lose some small items stored inside, or even block a handbrake. :( Ceed seems well put together overall but there are a few details like this and poor quality plastics at the bottom part of the inside door panels.
I'd say it does it's job fine. It's thick, so I don't see the need of a plastic thing there!

I did second service recently, and I asked them to tighten my handbrake. However. they didn't do it from within the cabin, they removed my rear wheels and did some adjustments there. I don't know why they prefer not to do it from within cabin.
That's the correct way to do it! This should be used for small adjustments.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd say it does it's job fine. It's thick, so I don't see the need of a plastic thing there!
Probably. But picking up that piece of fabric from the bottom of the box and removing it feels like you`ve purchased USSR car from 1956. I`ve never seen anything like that in modern cars.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
Hi Guys,

Quick query on this (I know I have revived a very old thread! but it will be helpful to me!)

1) Do you need to release the handbrake before tightening? or do you tighten with the handbrake partially applied?
2) Do you tighten only the centre nut, or do you tighten both the outside nuts, or only the outside nuts?

Appreciate the confirmations you may offer!

Thanks

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Tighten with the brake released. Either leave the car in gear or chock a wheel when you do this or you might go on an unplanned drive! Dont over tighten or you will have the park brake slightly on permanatly and that would be bad. :0)

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
I was going to ask the garage to do this at my second service but I will do it myself now :) Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for the replies, thats one part sorted.

Question is how much tightening will I need to do?

My handbrake clicks fully at 7-8 clicks! so I dont know how many turns that will correspond to of the nut?

Plus do you tighten more than just the centre nut?

I am going to pop out to the car now and see if I am missing anything!

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 ceed sw2 and a bit BD59FHY
95 Posts
Alittle bit extra

The number of 'clicks' on the handbrake is qouted in the owners manual. If I remember correctly, it is 5 to 7 clicks, but would stand correctly. 1 click will mean your brakes are dragging and they will get hotter than normal.
A suggestion, so that you don't do the same stupid thing that I did. Tie some string round the spanner (sprocket key) then round your wrist and then when your fingers go dead and you drop it down the hole, you can pull it back out again. Aah! hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
My brakes do not drag. The Park brake was adjusted and set by the dealer i got the car from new. You can feel it take up the slack and become tight just as it gets to the first notch. If i pull it tight or if im on an incline it will go to the second notch but for normal parking on the flat then its fine on the first notch. There is a lot of travel before the first notch so im happy its adjusted fine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might get round to doing this over the next couple of days. My only other question is this:

How do you know when you should not adjust the slack with this method, and when should be the time that the dealer completes the job? i.e. if you have to turn the nut by one full rotation (360 degrees) should it be undone and then taken to the dealer?

·
Registered
2010 ceed sw2 and a bit BD59FHY
95 Posts
Apologies AyJay. My facelift SW brake starts clicking early on in its travel. I presumed the whole range was the same. The only car I've ever driven that didn't click from the start was a hired renault, just after they introduced pushing the complete plipper into a slot and pressing a 'GO' button. Everything about that car worried me, especially when I worked out that you had to press the 'GO' button to make it switch off.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts