Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia rio
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced their cat lately? I can't pass the emissions test here in texas on my 2014 and two shops have said it is the cat that needs replaced. One shop and the dealer want about $1300 and another muffler shop says they can do it for $550. Oddly enough usually you can pull up just about any how to on YouTube but I can't seem to find any resources out there for a 3rd Gen. I know I can get the Cat for about $300-$350 locally just wondered if it was worth attempting myself or just have the muffler shop do it. Thanks in advance.

2014 Kia Rio 110k miles
P0420 code, replace O2 sensors already.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
136 Posts
I would try DIY. It looks like no welding is involved. Looks like it is attached to the exhaust manifold. Just undue some bolts and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX Hatchback Auto
2 Posts
I replaced the cat on girlfriends car. 2013 Rio hatchback with 155K miles. It was getting P0420 code and the mpg was getting worse. Took me about 4 hours working real slow and careful. Rockauto part 84124 and part 31534 for the rear gasket. Cost $316 for the parts including shipping.
Here's a quick outline on how I did it:
-Jack up the front of the car until the tires are off the ground and support it securely on jack stands.
-Pop off the top engine plastic cover.
-Disconnect and remove the upstream O2 sensor from the cat manifold.
-Remove the top heat shield that covers the catalytic converter/exhaust manifold (Three 10mm bolts).
-Under the car, remove the bracket attached to catalytic converter and engine block (3 bolts).
-Under the car, remove the heat shield attached to the catalytic converter body (4 bolts).
-Under the car, remove two 19mm bolts at the rear flange of cat (Had to get creative with wrench extensions).
-Remove nine 12mm nuts that attach the cat to the engine (deep socket).
-Pull out the cat out and over the top of the engine.
Install in reverse order. Make sure the new gasket at the cat manifold lines up with all the screw holes and exhaust holes of the cat assembly.
Torque the nine nuts 29.4 to 41.2 newton meters and use the recommended torque sequence:

The code has not returned and the average mpg has jumped from 27mpg to 34mpg.
You can do it if you have the tools, patience, and good mechanical aptitude.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
JJSMAC...nice write up!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2013 auto
145 Posts
Anyone replaced their cat lately? I can't pass the emissions test here in texas on my 2014 and two shops have said it is the cat that needs replaced. One shop and the dealer want about $1300 and another muffler shop says they can do it for $550. Oddly enough usually you can pull up just about any how to on YouTube but I can't seem to find any resources out there for a 3rd Gen. I know I can get the Cat for about $300-$350 locally just wondered if it was worth attempting myself or just have the muffler shop do it. Thanks in advance.

2014 Kia Rio 110k miles
P0420 code, replace O2 sensors already.
It's removing the exhaust manifold like stated above, I can attest you're in for some tough bolts in tight places. I just had the original drive-train out of my 2013 ~150k/mi an I could hardly break the upper flex pipe nuts while out of the car, would have hated to done the manifold while it was out of the car, much less in, also that K member will be awkward.

Appropriate torque spec during re-install is paramount.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX Hatchback Auto
2 Posts
Plus, I sold the original Kia catalytic converter I removed to a metal recycle place for $175.
There's valuable metals inside them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts