Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sephia, 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, 97 Civic.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was leaking alot of oil from under my distributor, so i changed the o ring inside it, and cleaned everything up, upon installing, one of the bolts sheared off, lucky i got it out, i replaced it with a bolt with same size threads, a few days later i look and see oil dripping down the radiator hose, come to see the leak is a little worse, i oiled the new o ring before i put it on, i torqued the disty to spec, what are my options? this oil leak is driving me crazy<_< could i use rtv around the outer part where theres no gasket? or is there a reason that there isnt sealant there, thanks for any input guys, thanks -matt.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, yes i used his how to when i first replaced it a couple days ago, and it was a very easy task, i took it apart once again today, cleaned everything as best as i could, took the new o ring off, inspected it for nicks or cuts, none, so i re-oiled it cleaned mating surfice, put it back on, torqued it, took it for a drive, and there is still a leak, but its not as bad now. the leak comes from directly under the disty, where it mates to the block. kind regards, matt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am almost to the point of getting some rtv ultra black and sealing the mating surfice, to get the leak to stop, cause this leak makes me lose oil quite often, drips down and burns off, but im not quite sure yet, ive even thought of buying another seal from a different place to see if it wil seal it, you never know, the seal could have a different width?. just a couple of thoughts lol.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay in reply, busy week.

Yes, I'd probably try sourcing another o-ring, it may be the o-ring is just not thick enough to seal it.. Not all replacement parts are created equal, as you know.

If that doesn't do it, would be checking on kiatechinfo to see what the (next) seal is behind the distributor housing. That seal may be the culprit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i have looked everywhere i can on KGIS and cannot find a cam seal on that side, if there is i cant find it, there are the front cam seals, but those are the ones under the timing cover on the opposite side right? and a timing seal, wich is the same thing i think, so, i will go to the other parts store and get an o ring, there super cheap anyway, i will update after i have made some progress, again, thanks for the input- matt.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hi Matt,

It may also be helpful to take some carb cleaner or (non-chlorinated) brake cleaner and soak an extra-fine (000) steel wool pad to lightly buff out the chamber, in case there is any varnish buildup inside that is preventing a good seal to the O-Ring,

but would go -really light- on the pressure: just enough to feather down / remove any varnish inside,

and would lightly coat the new O-Ring w/ some petroleum jelly before installing on the distributor / before reinstall - just a very light coat so it slides into & seals against the chamber properly,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have searched around and only found one part number, all stores have the same part, all same size, si i can try what you suggested, also the potroleum jelly might seal it better, i will try that, cause the leak has gotten just as bad as it was with the old o ring, if it doesent seal this next time im going to seal the outside mating surfice with rtv and be done with it lol. thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts