Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Titanium 2013 Soul 4U 2.4 Litre Coupe Mantronic Transmission Back Up Camera & UVO
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topped off my tank last night of my 2012 Optima LX. The Distance to Empty gauge went less then before filling. Anyone else experience this??

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
depending on your settings, if you have it reset at each fill up it certainly could vs. not resetting.

·
Registered
Titanium 2013 Soul 4U 2.4 Litre Coupe Mantronic Transmission Back Up Camera & UVO
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your reply, but you did not understand the OP.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
21 Posts
Here is my best guess...

Distant to Empty calculation is based of your average MPG calculation. Before you topped off the tank you had a decent average MPG because you had driven a decent number of miles on the freeway and/or conservatively round town.

After you topped off the tank, your average MPG reset and in the short time from driving out of the gas station to where ever you looked at the Distance calc, your average MPG was significantly less than just before you topped off.

Since the amount of gas you put in the car was not significant (I assume by "topped off" to mean a couple gallons), the decrease in average MPG from the short trip out of the gas station out weighed the increase in mileage from the extra couple gallons of gas.

Therefore, your Distant to Empty calculation was less than it was before.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you said seems very plausible

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
What you said seems very plausible
The only possible explanation always seems plausible.:D

If you had continued to monitor DTE after top-off, you probably would have seen DTE increase. e.g. After city running, I find DTE is 600km, but after a little while on highway cruise, it climbs to about 800km.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually No. DTE at top off was 720 kms. After Top off, DTE was 640kms. Just drove 70 highway kms and am just under 570 kms DTE. Gas needle still on FULL. After Top Up, I should have been over 800 kms DTE. Totally befuddled!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, I reset everything, no change on DTE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts