Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Daytime Running Lights on my '05 Sedona are are just as bright as night time condition (when I turn on the headlights, the brightness does not change).
The headlights are burning as bright as night time, all the time.
The tail lights are also, always ON as part of daytime running lighting.

How can I disable the Daytime Running Lights (and only the Daytime Running Lights)?
Can I remove a relay, fuse or connector that is easily accessible?

It doesn't make sense that the headlights (and taillights) would always be ON, as bright as night time. This may be the reason for all the complaints about headlight replacement I see.

Does any other Sedona or other Kia have the same feature?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
We don't have that on the Sedona's here in the States, but I have a couple of ideas for you to try.

There is a DRL resistor located on the front of the passenger side strut mount. Unplug it.

It has three wires going to it, two white and one orange.

If that doesn't work, there is a relay at the bottom of your center console that you can unplug, but it may not be easy to get to. You may be able to remove the drawer/cupholder/ashtray thing in front of it. (I don't remember what it is in front of the console) Four wires go into it, two black, a green and a blue.

If neither of these work, let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I checked for the DRL resistor on the passenger strut mount but found none.
It makes sense that there is no DRL resistor, since the brightness is the same between DRL and night lights.
And since the brightness is the same (day-night), the headlights would only need one supply wire.
Also, there is no DRL relay or fuse in the junction box or passanger fuse panel, so the DRL may be controlled directly by a Body ECU or central controller.

I looked at the center console and removed the tilt drawer at the bottom, but there was no access behind it. It seems the entire center console would have to be removed to access the relay/controller you mention.

You mentioned the Sedonas in the States don't have this. Do you mean the DRLs are dimmer than night lights, or there ar no DRLs?

If you have access to the wiring diagram for the Sedona, I would be intersted in how the headlights are supplied power and if it's Canadian or US version. The Canadian version probably has the headlight relay hardwired. I am really interested in disabling this hardwire so that my bulbs don't burn out or annoy other drivers.

Thanks for all your help.

(ps - I'm an EE for an asian automotive switch and electronics company in Michigan, so the more detail about the system the better. Thanks again.)

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That's odd that the lights are just as bright as your regular low beams. What is the difference between the two when you turn your headlights on?

The Sedona's in the states don't have the DRL at all.

Near the DRL relay, there is a DRL module with a 12 pin connector coming out of it. Only 9 of the wires are being used. Cut the yellow wire with the black stripe, then ground the end that goes into the module. This wire goes to the parking brake switch so that when you step on your parking brake the lights turn off. You have to cut it, otherwise your parking brake light will come on.

OR

This ones a little easier to do. Under your hood there is a blue connector. It's located under the fuse block, but there's a cover that clips on to the fused portion of the block. Remove one of the battery cables, then the three nuts holding the fuse block down, then the two nuts that hold the thick wires on the end of the fuse block. After all of that, there are two clips that hold the top part of the fuse box to the bottom cover. In that connector, there is an orange wire on the end that needs to be disconnected or cut. This wire goes to straight to the headlights from the DRL unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts