Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento V6 LX AWD 2019
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today once again the Sorento panic alarm was activated because I had keys in my pocket and per accident the panic alarm was activated via remote.I will hear the car start honking on our driveway or wherever it is.
This happens often, anyone an idea how to disable panic alarm button on remote?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
293 Posts
Today once again the Sorento panic alarm was activated because I had keys in my pocket and per accident the panic alarm was activated via remote.I will hear the car start honking on our driveway or wherever it is.
I've had to resort to carrying the key fob on my belt. No way will the buttons remain unpushed if in a pocket.

·
Registered
Sorento V6 LX AWD 2019
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had to resort to carrying the key fob on my belt. No way will the buttons remain unpushed if in a pocket.
Which shows that it's a real issue that should have a solution - glad to hear I am not the only one

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
293 Posts
The panic button is only one of problems. I don't like the unintentional unlocking or raising the hatch.
Key rings and today's belt loopers...too strong to fail if you do it right.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
940 Posts
Ditto with the hatch opening. On most days, it's not an issue -- but if I start moving a lot of heavy equipment around, I'm likely to get an open hatch. So far, panic alarm hasn't been a problem. So if there's going to be enough activity, I don't leave the fob in my pocket now.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
202 Posts
I put a protective FOB cover over mine, cut down panic button alarms about 90%, not a 100% fix.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
202 Posts
To get an idea go over to Amazon and search on " Kia fob covers " or fob protectors. Problem is they have to be exactly correct for you cars fob style (number of buttons and emergency key access) so I had to verify by looking at the pictures. Rather not post the URL for mine as it may not fit your, or other readers FOBs). Ebay has them also, I found a pair of hard rubber covers for about $10 USD on Ebay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed the problem by super gluing the panic button so it cannot be activated, this has worked fine for me for well over 5 years now, and I do not miss having a panic button at all. I did ask the Kia service folks if the panic button could be programmed to be disabled, but they said that they could not as it could raise legal issues, darn lawyers messing with our quality of life again!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
20 Posts
I took my fob off the key ring and carry the keys separately. Very seldom do I have a false trigger. My wife does it mostly now. She keeps it in her purse.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
17 Posts
After it going off half a dozen times including once in my garage I fixed it, see:
But instead of what they showed I used twister ties cut to fit. Any non-conducting thing will do. It's easy to open the fob, you will have to do that to replace the battery anyway. Basically you are putting insulation between the 2 things that conduct current.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts