Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX GDI, 1991 Lotus Elan SE (the original)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Sorento purchased last fall 2.4 eng. 78K miles. 1 dealer oil change so far, I don't think they did it when i picked it up, but that's another story. They filled it to way past the "F" mark, say a qt. over, and the dipstick looks like it has always been filled a qt. passed the F mark based on the burnt on (brown) oil markings on the stick. Are these sticks marked wrong, or just mine, or do they use 1 stick for all models. Attached is a photo of what I'm talking about, thx

Attachments

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,453 Posts
The "tide mark / stain" doesn't mean much, but the oil level should close to the dot at the "F" mark.

Do you check the level frequently and immediately after the dealership service? - that way you'll know if it was the shop or if its creeping up, which happens when fuel gets into the oil.

Reactions: Petso

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "tide mark / stain" doesn't mean much, but the oil level should close to the dot at the "F" mark.

Do you check the level frequently and immediately after the dealership service? - that way you'll know if it was the shop or if its creeping up, which happens when fuel gets into the oil.
Thx Ron, will check more frequently now. The tide mark makes it hard to read I notice, so a little steel wool will eliminate that problem.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
115 Posts
Noticed the Hyundai dealer kept overfilling my parent's 2012 Sonata's Theta II/2.4L - maybe an unofficial/lowkey cushion in case of oil burning?

Didn't some earlier Theta II's get a dipstick changed adding capacity?

Reactions: Zep

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
1,740 Posts
Its odd a dealer tech would do that. Fast lube shop maybe. Oil isn't that cheap they're putting in extra. They should know the capacity of each vehicle being a dealer. All different these days so looking it up is a must. No guessing but thats me. I do my own oil changes with few exception.
I know in the past after a change I may have to wipe and insert the dipstick several times to isolate the wet mark clear enough to validate. But I do know also how much I put in as I start with a full 5L jug. All my vehicles in the family are taking more than 5L, so a top up to the full mark or very close to it is needed. Redo the checking wiping the stick until you get it, sometimes rotate the stick inserting the other way may help as well. Its not hard but if it were as high as shown there would be problems created for sure.

Reactions: missingcurlybracket

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX
129 Posts
Make sure that you're checking the oil as per the owner's manual. Some say right after turning off the engine, others 1/2 hour later. Next oil change, check it at the service center. If it's off there, have them explain why.

·
Registered
1960 Corvair, 1975 Morris Mini, 1962 Renault Dauphine, 2012 Grand Cherokee
21 Posts
"Make sure that you're checking the oil as per the owner's manual. Some say right after turning off the engine, others 1/2 hour later. Next oil change, check it at the service center. If it's off there, have them explain why."

This is right on. Very often you need up to 30 minutes for the oil to settle before measuring. If you measure immediately, and add, 15-30 minutes later it will often be too high.

I had this problem with a customer with a Hyundai loader. The operator would turn it off when the service truck came around, find it 7 liters short, add those, and repeat the next day. Once I had him measuring first thing in the morning, they found it was never more than 100 ml down for the day.

And with the Mitsubishi dealer who had trouble with the busses he sold, as all owners turned off their engines, measured one liter down, added, and complained. Even the dealer service did the same. I read them their manual where it said wait 30 minutes. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul 1.6L
1 Posts
2016 Sorento purchased last fall 2.4 eng. 78K miles. 1 dealer oil change so far, I don't think they did it when i picked it up, but that's another story. They filled it to way past the "F" mark, say a qt. over, and the dipstick looks like it has always been filled a qt. passed the F mark based on the burnt on (brown) oil markings on the stick. Are these sticks marked wrong, or just mine, or do they use 1 stick for all models. Attached is a photo of what I'm talking about, thx
Are u burning a lot of oil, do u have to fill it weekly?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento LX I4 AWD, 36K miles
27 Posts
Dealer was overfilling my 2015 Sorento by a quart. I had the same with my Chevy dealer. All user manuals say don’t overfill because could harm the engine. I did further research and found that the issue is too much crankcase pressure. The last time they did it on the KIA, I took it back. They said they drained and refilled it. They blamed the equipment.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,237 Posts
Dealer was overfilling my 2015 Sorento by a quart. I had the same with my Chevy dealer. All user manuals say don’t overfill because could harm the engine. I did further research and found that the issue is too much crankcase pressure. The last time they did it on the KIA, I took it back. They said they drained and refilled it. They blamed the equipment.
Even if the equipment fails to deliver the correct amount, the dipstick who is checking the dipstick AFTER the fact (which is SOP anywhere) should have caught it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dipstick checking the dipstick, I like that. What I come away with is you have to be really careful with the oil level, and check it the way the manual says to. Double check the dealer and/or the lube shop.
Regards the Sorento, I noticed that one side of the dipstick has a fairly readable oil level line, and the opposite side has a non readable surface with oil streaks as it was dropped into or retrieved from the tube, even after a long period of drain time. You must read a few times to be sure what the reading is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts