Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car's battery kept on dying randomly supposedly due to bad circuitry in the factory head unit (the warranty for which had just expired) so after being without music in my car for a while, I finally picked up a new one.

First of all, well, I still feel like this shouldn't be cause to need a new head unit... but since I've got one, I'm going to try to put it in anyway... so, do the 2001 Optimas require a different harness than others (other Optimas/Kia models)? I just noticed on a site that they had a harness for all Kia modesl up to 2002 except 2001-2002 Optimas. Oh, and I also ask because the harness that I was sold doesn't seem to fit.

And also, I checked the few posts that I could find on my model, and the sticky post which will be really helpful, once I get a new harness (assuming that at least that arrangement is still the same for my car), but I didn't notice any mention of which pin was for the power antenna. If anyone could help me with that as well, I'd really appreciate it. :grin:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
This is a harness and mounting kit I found for your Optima on crutchfield.com. Even though it says Hyundai on the harness it will work.
Harness
mounting kit
Here is some info on how to remove the headunit. Not sure if it exactly the same in the 2001 Optima and the 2004 Optima. The instrutions come from a 04 Optima. thread on headunit removal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Actually, I already had the head unit off when I read through a few threads with those exact instructions and I was really confused, until I went to Kia's website to look at the interior of what those models looked like. The center console on my car is completely seperate from the shifter area, so I just needed to pry it off.

Hm... I already have a mounting kit, too. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if this one fits or not. And, I wish I could get a better look at the harness. So... basically, if I have the right harness, the er.. factory harness (? what was plugged into the factory unit) should fit right into it, right? I've just been assuming that's how it works, my gear came with absolutely no useful documentation at all. =P

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm.. ok. So at least I know what I'm supposed to be doing.
I've just been having a hard time finding the right harness. All the stores around here seem to have a harness for Kia models, but none that will fit mine.
Now I'm debating whether to just cut off the factory harness.. or try some online places, like the Crutchfield you gave me.
It's just that I'm a little wary that I'll just get sent the same one that I've been seeing which doesn't fit.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from crutchfield in the past and havnt had any issues with something not fitting correctly. When they say to use a certain item they are correct. You shouldnt have any issues with them if you choose to go that route with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts