Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX, 2.4L. FWD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

What is the difference between the 2.4L MPI and the 2.4L GDI motors?

Thank you.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It's all a matter of where the fuel gets squirted in.

Gasoline Direct Injection happens inside the combustion chamber and this cools the charge and improves the performance. Needs higher pressures and can be subject to blockages due to combustion products. Other types of injection occur upstream of the inlet valves and do the same type of thing as a carburettor (only better).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
It's all a matter of where the fuel gets squirted in.

Gasoline Direct Injection happens inside the combustion chamber and this cools the charge and improves the performance. Needs higher pressures and can be subject to blockages due to combustion products. Other types of injection occur upstream of the inlet valves and do the same type of thing as a carburettor (only better).

Gasoline direct injection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Right...and when it comes down to brass tacks...you're looking at slightly higher output and slightly better efficiency if all other things remain constant.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
Is the 3.5L a MPI or GDI, I thought it was a MPI but the service adviser at my dealer said it was a GDI?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
3.5L is MPI, 3.3L is GDI.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
Thanks that is what I thought......you would think the Kia service adviser would know what kind of engines they had.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Thanks that is what I thought......you would think the Kia service adviser would know what kind of engines they had.
You'd think. The service advisor at my local dealer thought 5W-30 is "what Kia recommends" for my new Sorento. When I said I wanted the recommended 5W-20, I was told "we don't have any". That's at one of the "top rated" Kia dealers in the country.

Unfortunately, manufacturers have little control over the dealerships and it's hit or miss whether or not you get one that's particularly knowledgeable about (a) the product or (b) customer service.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The service writer is a salesman not a technical consultant.
Yes, I've even had them confuse the oil grades with temperatures. e.g. Our local extremes are 10ºC to 40ºC, so that's why they were recommending 10W-40 oil!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
289 Posts
The service writer is the first point of contact of the service department for the customer and should be more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Service writer? I've had my detailed and lengthy report on intermittant clutch hydraulic problems rendered as "slipping clutch" by one of these service writers.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
814 Posts
I was talking to my service writer about gas tank 'popping' noises on startup and shutdown. Got back work order and it say relay issue/sound.

I think they write down whatever is most expedient to dismiss, especially when they're busy, it's not woth working on or they can't work on it at that moment.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
At the end of the day, the dealer is a SERVICE organization. If the point of contact with the customer is not sufficiently knowledgeable to discuss issues intelligently then the service experience will be bad. As the reliability of autos trends upwards, dealers that don't learn this will fall by the wayside as their service business dwindles. The margins on auto sales is rather thin, but the margin on parts and service is very fat.

My local dealer didn't appear to be the least bit concerned that I wouldn't be back. I was respectful, but indicated I wouldn't trust a service department that was unwilling/unable to do a proper oil change with the oil as spec'ed by the vehicle manufacturer. I'll continue to use the dealer for warranty work, but won't authorize one cent for scheduled maintenance. For that, I'll either do it myself or find a local mechanic who is interested in keeping his customers happy.

For what it's worth, I did get a call from Kia corp based on a survey after the service where I didn't give the dealer all 10's. (It was very favorable survey response, but I noted the issue with using the wrong oil and then trying to BS me about why they used cheaper 5W-30 oil instead and that Kia "recommended 5W-30 be used"). Corp asked if there was anything THEY could do and I said "nah, I already discussed it with the dealer and they're not inclined to change their practices. So we've agreed to disagree and I won't be going back there for scheduled maintenance." And they closed the ticket. The dealer then called me and seemed annoyed that I didn't give them a rave review and said I would receive another and they'd appreciate it if I'd update my survey. I said that my original survey answers would stand (and the additional survey never came). **shrug**

I don't mind paying for service, but I do expect it to be done properly.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Did the "slipping clutch" on the work order get your clutch hydraulic system fixed on the first try?

Did the "relay" thing get your gas tank problem fixed on the first try?

The customer is boss...unless you let them take it away from you. You can demand that they write your description of the problem on the work order, "customer says...." If you're paying, you want it fixed right--it's your money. If it is a warranty claim, you want it noted so that you may have the third unsuccessful attempt documented for your Lemon Law claim. In every case, you don't want to waste time to bring it back for the same problem because the doofus service writer didn't get the diagnosis and remedy correct.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
814 Posts
I just wanted them to note it. Didn't have time for them to investigate. I'm ging back to fix a trim piece. They've ordered the part. I'll have them properly note my descrition when i go back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts