Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone change their diff fluid yet? I am assuming it is"lifetime" which there is no such thing. Getting ready to have my Audi done (front, center, and rear) and was thinking about the Sorento.

I am assuming somewhere around 80,000 miles would be about right. Anyone have the specifics on fluid type and how much for each diff? I guess it doesn't have a center diff.... I recall thethe AWD system in the Sorento being unique and there may be more to the Dynamax system than I understand.

I assume it is similar to the 2014 Sorento in this video. If it is, I will do the Kia myself! this HTML class. Value is

·
Registered
825 Posts
No, not necessarily rated for lifetime unless you're thinking you aren't doing anything serious with it. Take a look at the service schedule for your vehicle. You'll find in "Severe Usage" (which seems to cover about all the driving many of us do in one way or another) where rear diff and transfer case oil is spec'd for replacement at 75,000 miles.
It takes less than a quart of good old GL-5 75W/90 to do the job in the rear diff, and about the same amount of the same stuff to do the transfer case for the 3.3L. Again, all in the manual. Hit any one of the below and they'll claim you should replace those two fluids at 75K:

C - Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt-spread roads
D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials in very cold weather
E - Driving in sandy areas
F - Driving in heavy traffic over 90F (32C)
G - Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road
H - Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I - Driving as a patrol car, taxi or other commercial use or vehicle towing
J - Driving over 106 mph (170 km/h)

·
Registered
72 Posts
change it man. I went to the dealer the other day (my car has 70k KM) and they tried to sell me on it. I said no way and went to see my mechanic. He confirmed the car needed fluid change. I heard too many nightmare stories with this car's AWD system if fluid is not changed often enough. At 70k KM mine fluid was black. Whatever they put in there at factory really sucks ass.

·
Registered
495 Posts
2014 Sportage here, changed diff and transfer case fluid at 30K km first time, fluid was dirty and main reason was to flush out metal particles suspended in it. These particles eat up gears.
In most if not cases it's not fluid color but particles in it making it 'liquid sand paper' that cause issues. Used Shaeffer's gear oil.
Consecutive changes every 50K km are synth SuperTech (bought in US).

·
Registered
825 Posts
Use full synthetic. I think my Owners Manual specifies full synthetic.
I just checked your 2019 manual. Also specifies GL-5 75W/90. Would guess something equivalent to Shell Spirax S6 (synthetic base) would be what they're after since they specify Shell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts