Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hi,

I'm new to the list.

I see the diesel issue has run dry over the last six monts on this list and I wanted to know if anyone knows when the Diesel Picanto comes to the UK, what the specs are and what is the cost...and if I should buy one?

Over to you.

Regards

Arty

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It is suppossed to be on it's way still, there is a date, but I can't remember it, it will involve a shake up of the models in the Picanto range to, I've heard the SE may be discontinued.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
39 Posts
Originally posted by Arty@Jun 4 2005, 06:19 PM
:D Hi,

I'm new to the list.

I see the diesel issue has run dry over the last six monts on this list and I wanted to know if anyone knows when the Diesel Picanto comes to the UK, what the specs are and what is the cost...and if I should buy one?

Over to you.

Regards

Arty

i read the diesel engine is 74bhp and 119 Nm torque... power !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:crying: Hi,
I'm confused and need some help and clarifcation.

I went to the internatiomal Kia / Picanto Web site http:\\www.kia-picanto.com and it tells me that the 1.1 litre diesel engine will be relalsed in the EU market in 2005 (ie within the next six months) and it says the max power will be 75ps/4000rpm and the max torque will be 15.5kgm/2000rpm.

Which sounds OK.

On the same page as above the Websites for Slovena, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia & Montenegro all ready have the 1.1 litre diesel engine and qoute a fuel consuption of 5-5.4lts per/100km and Co2 emission of 119-138g/Km

Can this be right?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
What on Earth is RHD??
Maybe the Diesel isnt needed especially as the 1.1 offers excellent economy and with the price of Diesel here.

Kevin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin,

:( Sorry for the jargon - RHD is short for Right Hand Drive.

:) I had a test drive of the soon to be repaced SE today.
It was fine in town and on the motorway when it got to speed. Getting to speed downhill was OK. :unsure: However it lacked the power of a diesel to get it there when going up hill, with 4 people inside.

:eek: In the Kia showroom I looked at the new range and found the price increase and the lower range specfication disapointing.

:( If the diesel is not comming for the Picanto, it will be disapointing as there is a gap in the market for it in the UK, even with the high cost of the fuel. I hope that Kia have the sense to fill the gap before others do it for them

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Im pleased I got my Picanto SE before the new models came out as none of them come close to the equipment on the SE model.

Kevin.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
I was hoping dropping the SE was just a rhumour. Ah well seems not. I am really dissapointed in KIA for doing this, there are loads of SE's on the roads at the moment and they are a good option for people looking for cars with a great deal of kit. What do they think people are going to do when their car gets to three years old? trade it in for a 'Glamour' or whatever it is. What they needed to do was keep it as it was, add the glamour and a sports model as well, perhaps with a Grille Kit, but definately with a bigger engine. I know that I wouldn't want to buy the same car with lower spec for the same money, or even the same car with lower spec. I would have replaced it with the same car when the time came.

Its sad but true, I think most SE owners will go elsewhere......

:( Sad now....

Mike

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in the not to distant future, they cocked up the pricing at launch, which made the SE to cheap in comparison to the LX models.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
I might have to move to a Honda Jazz when my car is getting on a bit!
Neither the LX or Glamour comes close to the SE and the maximum number of speakers you can get on the Picanto is 4!! On the LX model.
I feel the 'S' model could be quite welcome if it had a little lower price tag as it would attract new drivers - cheap car - cheap insurance - cheaper than a 2nd hand car.

Kev.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wouldn't jump ship just yet, it's more part of a bigger picture, this week see's the UK launch of the new Rio, so Kia cannot have the picanto overlapping this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by completechimp@Jun 27 2005, 01:41 AM
This doesnt look so good...
"A 1.1 diesel is offered in continental Europe, but won't be offered in RHD form as Kia doesn't think it offers any benefit with regards to CO2 emissions or economy. "

from (performance page, at)
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/K/...to04--perf.html
Maybe KIA have changed their minds?

Mike
i sold a picasso diesel for a kia rio the picasso was a 2ltrdiesel it did 50 to a gallon the roi is only just doing 30 to a gallon so better off with a diesel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:) UK RHD Kia Picanto Diesel Debut At Frankfurt

The car is due for UK launch in November and will be offered in a choice of two equipment levels - LX and EX.

With an all-new three-cylinder engine, the 1.1-litre CRDi common rail diesel Picanto was unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show today.

Powered by a sophisticated 75 ps engine with a variable-geometry turbocharger, the Picanto looks set to boost sales of the corporation´s A-Segment model even further when it goes on sale later this year.

Developed at Kia´s ´Centre of Diesel Engineering Excellence´ at its R&D facility in Germany, the 1,120 cc diesel engine generates 75 ps (55.0 kW) of power at 4,000 rpm and 153 Nm (15.6 kgm) of torque from 1,900 to 2,750 rpm, making the Picanto one of the most powerful cars in its class. This engine is mated to a five-speed manual transmission equipped with a unique set of gear ratios to suit the characteristics of the diesel engine.

Diesel Picanto will accelerate from 0-to-100 kph in 16.0 seconds and will reach a maximum speed of 162 kph. Fuel consumption on the combined cycle is just 4.2 l/100 km, so a range of 800 kilometres between fuel stops is possible. This Picanto is also one of the world´s cleanest, most efficient cars, with a CO2 rating of just 112 g/km.

The car is due for UK launch in November and will be offered in a choice of two equipment levels - LX and EX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:00000732: More Picanto Diesel Info & Pictures Full story http://kia-picanto.co.uk/

Not content with waiting around for our little diesel car to arrive on UK shores, we thought we would scour around for a few more pictures and provide a little technical blurb on the new diesel engine.

We found a nice close up shot of the engine in all its glory and one of the little wonder out and about on the streets of Italy enjoying the afternoon sunshine.

It's a car and engine combination that's creating a bit of a buzz out in Europe amongst the motoring press and we are confident the same will happen over here in the UK, once it arrives.

The variable-geometry turbocharger is becoming more popular in European cars due to fuel economy as well as enviromental issues. The main draw back of traditional turbocharged diesel engine's in current cars is the poor throttle response in achieving the required acceleration causing irritation to the driver who has to keep in pace with the prevailing traffic flow.

This is because of the phenomenon known as `turbo lag' or the time lag for the turbocharger to provide the needed pressure boost to the intake air when the driver steps on the accelerator pedal in search of more power. At this time, the turbine is spinning at lower speed and takes a while to spool up so as to supply the needed air for better acceleration.

The variable geometry turbocharger helps to address this problem. These turbines have movable vanes with adjustable entry angles that respond to turbine speed to provide a more matching level of pressure boost even to a slow spinning turbine without producing too much of a boost at higher speeds.

The result is a car that is one of the quickest in its class, achieving over 100 mph and 0-100 kph in 16 secs and all from a 1,120 cc engine. As well as being one of the quickest, its also one of the world´s cleanest, most efficient cars, with a CO2 rating of just 112 g/km.

Categories: kia picanto diesel

[to Del.icio.us]
posted by Tomauto at 10:25 PM | 0 comments

See http://kia-picanto.co.uk/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:banana: Picanto Diesel On Sale In Germany

The highly anticipated launch of the diesel Picanto is over, that is if you live in Germany.

While the UK is still waiting...and waiting patiently (it's what we're good at), buyers in Deutschland can now add the turbo charged oil burner to their shopping lists in time for Xmas.

It should be interesting to see over 2006 how the Picanto CRDi puts pressure on Germany's number 1 selling small car, the VW Fox, which sold 2,435 units in November.

The Picanto was at number two on 1,600 units, bearing in mind that the Fox has had both petrol and diesel derivatives for some time now, so with the diesel firmly in place, should give it a real run for its money. It's also nice to see the Picanto ahead of popular and well establised European cars like the Twingo (Renault), C2 (Citroen) and the Panda (Fiat).

Strategically it makes sense for Kia to get the diesel car into Germany now, as the Picanto accounts for over 35% of its total sales on German soil and over 20% of its total sales in Europe year-to-date.

The German press has already praised the Picanto for its 'comfort' and 'agile handling' not forgetting its 'fresh external design and sporty lines.'

As one German auto magazine put it: "With the Picanto, KIA further stamps its increasing label on the German market."

The Picanto 1.1 CRDi is priced at 10,475 Euro's which roughly translates to £7,000 in pounds sterling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:460: Today is very sad for me as my ambition of getting a diesel Kia Picanto in the UK, looks like a pipe dream!

As we all know, the Picanto Diesel has been available Europe since last year and SG PETCH have been promoting for ages see: http://kia-picanto.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/new...CRDi_Diesel_5dr

Today, I went into my local Kia Dealer (Tippens) and asked "when can I test drive the Kia Picanto diesel?" They (Geoff Garner, [email protected]) phoned Kia HQ UK and was told it would not happen as there is a problem is RHD conversion with the bigger diesel engine and the cost is too high.

So much for customer wants, economy and global warming! What more can I say? Maybe someone could follow this up and confirm the situation?
:rolleyes: :amen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts