Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try to do my own fuel filter change in my 2011 Sportage with the 2 litre type "R" diesel engine. My vehicle is a right hand drive version.

When I first saw where the filter was situated (out of the way, behind the battery under the windscreen wipers) I thought this would be a challenge and looking on the available forums people seem to indicate you should rather send it in to the dealer and pay up.

Here's how its done for anyone who wants to "give it a go".

Leave the car standing for an hour or so to ensure any residual fuel pressure has bled away. Remove the battery and the air induction pipe between the air cleaner box and the turbo unit. Undo the 3 mounting screws that hold the ECU in position and move the ECU (in its holding frame) to the left away from the suspension turret. There is no need to remove any electrical connections from the ECU module. This will allow you to get access to the fuel filter mounting screws.

There are 3 electrical connections to the fuel filter. two on the top of the unit and one on the side near the top. The two top mounted plugs are removed by pushing them inwards, pressing and holding the release tabs and then pulling the plugs backwards. Just pressing the release tab and pulling the plug will not release it. The third plug on the side of the filter housing is of a different type and will require releasing using a small screwdriver to release the plastic clasper on the underneath of the plug. Once opened the plugs pulls straight off.

This now leaves the two fuel pipes connecting to the top of the fuel filter housing. These pipes are very easy to disconnect once you know how. There are two rectangular release "buttons" on either side of the fuel connectors. Push the connectors forward towards the filter, press the release buttons and withdraw the connector from the nipple on the filter housing.

All that remains to remove the filter are three 10mm flange nuts that attach the filter housing to the suspension turret. These are easily accessed now the ECU has been moved to one side. Remove these 3 nuts and withdraw the whole filter unit making sure to keep it upright as much as possible to prevent diesel spillage.

Empty the diesel into a suitable container by inverting the filter. Once empty you can unscrew the water sensor unit from the bottom of the filter (more diesel will come out) and allow the filter to drain some more through the bottom hole.

Remove the two flange nuts that secure the filter shroud around the cartridge. The cartridge can now be unscrewed and discarded.

Screw on the new cartridge and re-attach the shroud.

Now - the filter needs to be filled with diesel before its put back in the vehicle otherwise you may have to crank the engine excessively to get it to fill up from the pump in the tank. To do this I cut a short piece of rubber (6mm dia) fuel tubing and fitted it across the two fuel hose nipples on top of the filter housing. I could then turn the filter upside down and pour (clean) diesel in through the water sensor port at the bottom of the filter. It takes about 600ml. Once the filter is full you can screw on the water sensor unit and turn the filter unit right-side-up and put it back on the vehicle. Once the filter unit is in place you can pull off the rubber hose from the two inlet nipples.

All that remains is to re-assemble everything. When replacing the fuel lines make VERY sure the lines have clipped into place by pulling them back to test the clips have engaged.

Hopefully some of you will find this useful. It saved me a bundle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts