Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there sure does seem to be a lot of disgruntled people out there regarding mpg! I run a 4sp auto diesel and had NEVER seen the other side of 28mpg,even on a long steady haul, running locally I saw about 21mpg.However the fitment of a tuning box from a German company has improved things .I now get 23mpg locally and about 30 on a run,which is just about bearable.But the real benefit is the performance,at last the engine feels like it has a measure of power!The engine runs smoother too and the auto box is less busy as a result of the increase in torque, in fact sureley this is how the car SHOULD perform.All this for around a £100 and around 15 mins to fit,a bargain I think.
Hope this is of interest to someone.
TOWGUY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jan 21 2005, 12:18 PM
Interesting stuff, about the tuning box, where did you find it, and how/where does it fit?
Hi Murphwiz
I found the tuning box on Ebay,click on Automotive,click on worldwide and type Kia Sorento in the box.This will bring up a list of items available.Look for Kia Sorento ASA Tuning.This sellers site is easy to use as it has an English version to click on.Fitting of the unit is easy but the price shown is for the box only,you need the dedicated harness for "Plug & play". the harness required is the Bosch type
One For my car,best to check though.Nevertheless in all this only cost around£100
and the fitting instructions were Emailed to me in English.
Hope this helps
Towguy

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Interesting reading about your tuning box Towguy. I'm looking at the TUNIT box which has a supplier here in UK. Quite expensive but the box is fine-tuned on the go with a laptop. I had Van Aaken's superchip in my last Trooper 3.0 and the difference was incredible all round much as you suggest with these things.
Did your box come with all the correct plugs? Also, where does it plug in bearing in mind the ECU itself is under the floor on the nearside passenger footwell?
Yours sounds great value for money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have looked at the TUNIT website and the results look very impressive I just wonder how fitting one would affect the warrenty ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by jonno@Jan 22 2005, 05:46 AM
Interesting reading about your tuning box Towguy. I'm looking at the TUNIT box which has a supplier here in UK. Quite expensive but the box is fine-tuned on the go with a laptop. I had Van Aaken's superchip in my last Trooper 3.0 and the difference was incredible all round much as you suggest with these things.
Did your box come with all the correct plugs? Also, where does it plug in bearing in mind the ECU itself is under the floor on the nearside passenger footwell?
Yours sounds great value for money.
Hi Jonno
I researched all of the different makes and decided most boxes seem to provide pretty much the same thing.My tuning box comes with a fine tuning adjustment by way of a screw,with which you can adjust for optimum performance,but I havn't fiddled yet! Maybe for some only a full remap will do,but this works for me.I guess fine tuning by lap top is quite possible with my box. Fitting is quite easy using the plugs supplied which fit into the harness just under the engine cover near the bulkhead.Operation of the ECU is unaffected.ASA Tuning were quick and efficient to deal with,I just can't see why everything has to be so much more expensive on these shores,so I behaved like a"good European"and bought from Germany!
Towguy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by kev1963@Jan 22 2005, 02:52 PM
I have looked at the TUNIT website and the results look very impressive I just wonder how fitting one would affect the warrenty ?
Hi Kev1963
As for affecting warranty I would not worry,the boxes are easy to fit and easy to take off,why worry?
Towguy

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Thanks for the info Towguy. I'll look into the ASA box this week. I mentioned yours to the service man at my dealer and he says he has a customer with one like yours who is well pleased. You are right, why pay £500 odd if it can be got from Europe by-passing ripoff Britain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by towguy@Jan 22 2005, 02:09 AM
Hi Murphwiz
I found the tuning box on Ebay,click on Automotive,click on worldwide and type Kia Sorento in the box.This will bring up a list of items available.Look for Kia Sorento ASA Tuning.This sellers site is easy to use as it has an English version to click on.Fitting of the unit is easy but the price shown is for the box only,you need the dedicated harness for "Plug & play". the harness required is the Bosch type
One For my car,best to check though.Nevertheless in all this only cost around£100
and the fitting instructions were Emailed to me in English.
Hope this helps
Towguy
Hi towguy,I have a tunit box fitted on my 2.5 auto but don't think it is set up right.Did fitting the asa box make a big difference? thanks tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi towguy,I have a tunit box fitted on my 2.5 auto but don't think it is set up right.Did fitting the asa box make a big difference? thanks tom
[/
Hi Tom
Fittment of the box did make an immediate difference to the performance,even tickover was smoother,I guess the real gain is mid range,but overall it is much better.Maybe you should have a word with Tunit,it is possible that your unit may adjust via screw inside the unit like mine.Let me know if you get sorted,
Regards Towguy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts