Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used 99 Kia Sportage.
The other day it died while trying to back it up. Each time I'd start it, it would die as soon as I put it in reverse. Then, it worked.
Today, It died when I started it and put it in reverse. Then wouldn't start. Then it started and I drove it about 3 to 5 miles. It died when I started it and put it in reverse. Then it wouldn't start. I pushed it thru the parking lot to a gas station (this was just a precaution; the gas gage was showing 1/4 tank). Tried to start it. Took a few times but it started. On the drive home, it lost power a few times, but didn't die. I had to stop for a train and it died. As I pulled it into it's parking space, as soon as I hit the brake, it died. I started it again and as soon as I hit the brake, it died. I went inside in disgust.
I hope someone here can give me a starting point on repairs. I'm too poor to take it to the garage and let them replace things one at a time til it works. I need a starting point. Is it a computer chip? My starter? My fuel filter? My transmission? etc.
PS I just had the battery and battery cables replaced because it wouldn't start at all last week, and now the check engine light is on.

·
Registered
349 Posts
OK, the starting point is to determine why the check engine light came on. This will give you a quick and accurate diagnosis as to why the engine is stalling. The engine computer has detected an error with one or more of the sensors it monitors and controls.

Any local Autozone will perform a diagnostic scan for free. They will plug a scan tool into the diagnostic port under the dash. The trouble codes that it will readout will be formatted PXXXX, where XXXX will be a series of numbers. Get ALL the trouble codes that come out of the engine computer and post them here. We can provide suggested solutions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts