Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you have tinted your windows?
On my 2013 LX all windows are tinted except for driver and passenger front windows...Which is fairly common amongst SUV's-I know.
The changes on 2013 model states -solar glass and privacy glass...So i'm guessing that theirs already some UV protection.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
yes. i had them throw it in as part of my deal. the only complaint i have is that my fronts aren't as dark as i would like or am used too. I believe that it is at the maximum legal tint level for my state though.

for TN that's 35% for all windows. no reflective. although i feel that the factory tint is a bit darker, say around 30% link

I had 25% installed on the sides and rear of my Hyundai Elantra. It was great during the day, but a bit of a pain at night in non-lit areas, but you learn to deal.

For FL, you can go with 28% on the front windows, and 15% in the rear/backseats. Hell you can even have up to 25% reflective! link

At 25% it's fairly difficult to impossible to see in the windows at night without a flashlight or internal lighting. During the day it is possible to see outline/occupants, but not what they are doing (only if they are doing something). It's hard to maneuver at night during a new moon in an area without street lights (ie, when it's really dark out), but driving is fine because the headlights cover your front.

I would bet at 15% you can't see anything unless it is exaggerated, like someone shaking around or flailing arms.

Please note that Tint is always referred to in the percent of light that it is rated to allow through.

Personally, i think tint is awesome and everyone should have it. I also think sunroofs are stupid because it's like turning your car into a greenhouse. I feel very strongly that tint should be in every vehicle south of the Mason-Dixon Line here stateside. Probably quite a few more places north of it. Not only does it provide privacy, but it drastically reduces the amount of thermal energy that is coming into the car as well as reducing UV exposure for everything inside the vehicle. This is critical in hot places. Not only can UV kill your plastics, the huge swing in temperatures will make your AC run harder, take longer to get comfortable, which will ultimately cost you more gas. Plus it is more harmful for the interior plastics, leather, cloths, etc. UV protected or Stabilized is not enough to keep the interior surfaces and materials of your car in new shape. Mostly i like mine because it keeps the car a lot cooler when i have to hop into it after sitting in a parking lot all day, plus it looks better!

Get sunshades for your front window while you are at it. And don't forget to use them!

To avoid issue for cops, when I get pulled over, i always roll down ALL my windows (as long as it isn't raining), turn off my car, put keys on dash and not fiddle around until i am talking with the officer. I have never had them even comment on my tinting.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX w/ Convenience Pkg
24 Posts
In the state of Michigan, we can legally have any grade of tint on the rear windows, but the passenger and driver windows can have NO TINT. And the windshield can only go down about 4", some people like the look of that.. I don't. I was thinking about throwing some 25% on the rear and backseat windows, and test my luck and put 35% on the driver and passenger windows.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tinted my wife's. It's 20% on front roll-ups and then laid 35% over the factory tint on all the back windows. 5% strip on the windshield.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
In Cali. (like Mich. where I grew up and as mentioned above) you also cannot have any tint without a doctor prescription on the driver and passenger windows. The back windows can be painted black as far as I know ;-)

I personally do have my front windows tinted and my tint guy said they were 30% which matches exactly to the factory tinted "privacy glass". So, the factory tinted glass must be as others stated above 30-35%.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
This is what the law says up here:

Colour coating obscuring interior
No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle.
Take it as you will, people (myself included) still tint their side windows. The rear side windows were already tinted so I only tinted the front side windows (35%).

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX (Black Cherry), 2012 Piaggio Fly 50 4v (Midnight Blue)
52 Posts
Does anyone know roughly what percentage the rear passenger windows are in the 2012 Kia Sportage? I want to match the front windows as closely as possible, and leave the rears alone. I figure the tinting place I pick will be able to do this, but out of curiosity I'm just asking here!

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Tinted the front windows 30% UV film, and had all the back windows coated in 5% UV film to help keep out the summer heat. Have done this to my previous cars and have been happy with the result so far. Can't add any tint to the sunroof glass though, as it is tempered glass and will expand and contract with the heat, thereby stuffing up any film tint. Just need to rely on the blind to keep the heat out when it becomes unbearable.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
tinting business in malaysia is like hot selling cake... most people will definitely tint their car windows right after the purchase. the cost may vary depending on the brand averaging from $180~$1000. i happenned to get a local brand tint, pretty satisfied with only $400++
VLT 63%, UVR 99%, IRR 95%

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know roughly what percentage the rear passenger windows are in the 2012 Kia Sportage? I want to match the front windows as closely as possible, and leave the rears alone. I figure the tinting place I pick will be able to do this, but out of curiosity I'm just asking here!
That's the effect I was going for too, but my fronts ended up a little darker than the rears. I didn't ask for a specific tint % but rather to match the rears. Barely noticeable to anyone but me, unless you point it out. I am probably going to end up doing a layer of tint in the rears to match.

I'll try to figure out the tint % and let you know.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
That's the effect I was going for too, but my fronts ended up a little darker than the rears. I didn't ask for a specific tint % but rather to match the rears. Barely noticeable to anyone but me, unless you point it out. I am probably going to end up doing a layer of tint in the rears to match.

I'll try to figure out the tint % and let you know.
my tint is slightly lighter than the stock rear tint. it was done via my dealership (as part of the purchase deal) at a private tint place, so my fronts are probably my state max, which is like 35% (admittance of light).

as i said in the first quote i feel that 30% is probably on the money. 30-25% for sure. but it's hard to tell, because the colors are slightly different. i feel that the factory tint is a neutral (grey), while my add on tint is slightly amber. good news is it's VERY hard to tell, the color difference from the inside, and pretty much impossible from the outside, because of the black interior.

i know had 25% on my elantra gt because i saw the packaging. it was for sure darker than the back windows of the sx, but only by a little bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts