Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just found this forum as I was trying to find out if I got snowed on a new Rio or if I'm just feeling buyer's remorse.

I just bought (haven't taken home yet) a new 2013 Rio 5dr hatchback LX+ manual transmission.

Canadian funds (I'm in Ontario):

Total pre-tax price, including all fees: $18,000
Plus 13% tax
Minus $900 after-tax discount
Total final price: $19,442
0% financing 60 months

I'm feeling like I lost control during the negotiations and that I fell for sales tactics. Not feeling good about this at all. Is there a way I can find out what a typical "actual" price is for this car in Canada?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hello, I just found this forum as I was trying to find out if I got snowed on a new Rio or if I'm just feeling buyer's remorse.

I just bought (haven't taken home yet) a new 2013 Rio 5dr hatchback LX+ manual transmission.

Plus 13% tax
0% financing 60 months

I'm feeling like I lost control during the negotiations and that I fell for sales tactics. Not feeling good about this at all. Is there a way I can find out what a typical "actual" price is for this car in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Hi. I'm in Montréal so we speak same money language. In April 2012, I bought a '12 auto EX which is one step above LX+ and one step under top of line SX. Included in the deal: 4 wheels and 4 snow tires, tinted glass, Aquapel treatment for windshield, 4 winter floor mats, one tank of gaz and 1 tank of windshield washer. All for s little under 19,000$. Had 1000 $ for old 2000 Neon LX. 0,9% financing/60 months. Gave a few thousand dollars cash also. Monthly payment is below 300$. Same car would be 20,660 $ today according to Kia's "Price your Kia". Go there: Car Prices: Car Financing | Kia Canada. And do the maths with the help of their calculator. In 2012, I started from there and went to the dealer with a print of the price I got on the Net...The didn't like that since they started to price the car with "my" numbers but everything ent very smoothly. Maybe cause Kia dealers really wanted to sell the new Rio. In 2013, it's not a new model. It's weel established and the prices may have gone up.

The trick is to get the dealer to give you goodies since he may not be interested that much in lowering the price of the car. By nature and by work, I'm a tough negotiator. You say you feel like you lost control during the negotiations. These guys in front of you are looking for that: you to lose control of negotiations and they make their move. If you have a bad feeling about the whole process, it could be you're right. So my advice to you: follow your instinct. For instance, you could go back and show a little hesitation. Since they won't lower the price, go for the goodies like tires, windows visors, car wash for one year eve oil changes for one year (that one I should have dealt). Keep us informed. Don't stay with that bad feeling inside. You will so much love your Rio. BTW: which color.

Bonne soirée
Racineur

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio
85 Posts
I dont know about Canada but in the us the top of the line Sx would be around the price your paying for an LX +. My 13 rio sedan LX with power pkg was a little over 16,500 thats with all the taxes included

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Merci! The problem is I already signed on the dotted line. I'm supposed to pick it up on Monday.

I looked at the Consumer Protection Act to see if there's a mandatory "cooling off period" regulating dealers but it's not clear and I'll have to phone the gov't office to find out on Monday.

I basically just got $705 off the offered pre-tax price plus a spare tire (doesn't come with one standard). Plus the $900 off after-tax but that's a factory incentive.

The colour is signal red, which I like, but I didn't have a choice. I called all three dealers within 1.5 hours of me when I was trying to set up a test drive and that was the only 5dr manual transmission any of them had in stock. Lots of automatics out there but I want manual.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Merci! The problem is I already signed on the dotted line. I'm supposed to pick it up on Monday.

I looked at the Consumer Protection Act to see if there's a mandatory "cooling off period" regulating dealers but it's not clear and I'll have to phone the gov't office to find out on Monday.

I basically just got $705 off the offered pre-tax price plus a spare tire (doesn't come with one standard). Plus the $900 off after-tax but that's a factory incentive.

The colour is signal red, which I like, but I didn't have a choice. I called all three dealers within 1.5 hours of me when I was trying to set up a test drive and that was the only 5dr manual transmission any of them had in stock. Lots of automatics out there but I want manual.

Allo encore, I think this is where the dealer decided to try to play though: they noticed you showed some eagerness in having your Rio plus you insisted on manual while there were only automatics available. In a way, they cornered you. It's an old trick. But don't be too harsh on yourself. Go back and have a discussion with the manager. Don't discuss with your salesman. That's what he is and he desperately needs the sale. This will make the masks fall and you'll see if they truly want to have you as a customer. Who knows? They may be willing to accommodate you in a way. Keep us informed.

Bon après-midi

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts

Plus 13% tax
0% financing 60 months
go to the KIA Canada website and price your model out and also include the colour selection which can vary from $0-$200, this will give you a good guide with your financing. It also shows you any discount KIA Canada is offering on that model. In looking at that it would appear your final figure is about $800 high, but as we don't know the full details I can only guestimate.

Also you can go to Car Cost Canada and get the dealer cost on this vehicle and what is a fair price (that's what I use on negotiations on my last two KIA's) for $40 - worth it when you are spending so much money at least that way you know a fair price, the dealer has to make money too.:D

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the input. I had done my research for dealer invoice prices (from Unhaggle.com) and had a number I wanted to start with. I don't know how it happened but I didn't even get to it. I ended up signing off on more than $800 higher than my goal number.

And that's the problem. I already signed. I already paid the down payment. I'm supposed to pick up the car tomorrow and I just feel sick about it.

I don't think the sales manager will do anything for me now because it's a done deal. Why would he when he's got my signature agreeing to this and he already has my DP? Do I have any recourse to get out of this now?

Thanks again. I appreciate the advice and shared experience. I wish I had found this forum earlier.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
I have bought and leased about five vehicles. There was one time that I felt like I got ripped off. This was the only time that I went to a dealership without doing my research. I was kinda "talked into" a vehicle I didn't need and had no idea what people were paying out the door. Now I do all my negotiations online. I ask for the lowest price without any discounts or incentives then try to have another dealership beat it. If your about $800 off, just look at it as a learning tool. I am sure some paid as much as you...just try to enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you again. Good to hear. I guess I'm kicking myself because I *did* do my research and I *did* have a plan but for some reason I got totally derailed from it. I fell for salesman tactics -- like telling me about his brother who died from cancer and how his dog saved him in grief and how he has to buy a bungalow so his elderly mother can move in with him. Things that have no impact on price and yet, stupidly, I got way off price. I feel like such a sucker. I suppose there's one born every minute. I just didn't think I was one!

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Don't sweat it. I think I paid more than I had to too. I probably could have gotten another $500 off but I got trapped by myself. I loved the car and needed one fairly quickly. The salesman knew I wasn't going to walk away. I have always gone into a car purchase willing to walk away from it. I don't care tho. I'm very happy with my purchase and that's all that matters. Enjoy your new car!!

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Prices vary, depends how tough you are in negotiation. I know it doesn't relate perfectly, but here in Australia i paid $20,000 for my SLS which is basically a U.S. SX but in 3 door, with no heated seats, trick radio, reverse cam, voice activation. Still gets push button start, remote entry, climate, leather, 17's, DRL's, LED tail lights, auto wipers, blah blah. I got floor mats too! haha.

They wanted $23,000 at the time.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX
54 Posts
For my 2013 Rio 5 EX Auto (and remember, I'm in Alberta, traditionally one of the highest priced car markets in Canada), I am paying $19.5k before dealer addons. I got the specific Alberta climate pack which adds full underbody spray and paint protection (opticoat), Kia Protect (interior protection, windshield replacement, paintless dent repair, etc), and Estate Protection (for $600 and Kia pays off my car if I die, meh, why not). Total out the door price after tax was a sneeze under 24.5k. But that's because I put on some dealer options as listed above which really jack up the price, and get counted in BEFORE tax is calculated. So pretty much, I bought at an equivalent price of an SX Nav with no addons :|

Ah well, I love my car :D

(Also keep in mind, the EX in Canada comes standard with the US "convenience package," ie UVO, backup camera, heated seats, heated power folding wing mirrors, etc)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again, I just want to update you on the outcome.

I followed advice and spoke to the owner of the dealership today. I told him my concerns and that I was not happy with the sales experience I had on Saturday and gave my reasons why. He listened and we started the money talk from square one and walked through everything carefully from dealer invoice up. We reached a price together that we can both feel okay about (about $500 less than the pre-tax figure in my initial post).

Not only that, but the whole team there provided excellent attention and customer service and seemed genuinely interested in seeing me become a happy and satisfied Kia owner. And they succeeded! Kudos to them for being able to turn things around so completely.

I thoroughly enjoyed driving my new Rio home today -- all 110km from the dealership to my door, including the last 7km of rough, pot-holed country road. Damn that 3km stretch of gravel, though!

Thanks again for the input and advice. I'm glad I found you! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts