Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 3 door manual Kia Rio SLS in Graphite
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual 2012 Rio hatch with push start ignition and I would appreciate educated opinions on whether long term deliberate stalling of the car could potentially damage the engine in any way. The reason why I ask is because the push start ignition has an annoying quirk whereby if you push the button to turn off the engine, the accessory power also turns off and the interior lights illuminate. I find this annoying because sometimes I like to sit in the car to listen to the radio if a good song is playing or if I am waiting to pick someone up. I also don’t want the interior lights to turn on when I am not ready to leave. I have realised that if I deliberately stall the car that the power remains on and the lights do not illuminate which is why I am canvassing opinions if this is advisable practice. If it is causing damage to the engine then I suppose I will have no other option other than turning the engine off normally and pushing the button again to turn on the radio and manually switching the interior lights off.

Thanks guys,
Michael

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You would be causing slight wear on the clutch and possible strain on the drive-train and engine. In your circumstances, I'd be inclined to just let the engine idle. The possibility of damage is slight, in my opinion, but there's usually quite a jolt when the engine stalls, and it can't be good for a new engine.

Are you sure that there's no option to stop the interior lights from coming on? KIA won't sell many cars to private investigators or unfaithful husbands if this is the case.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX
21 Posts
Does your car have a switch on your dome light. I know I had to turn mine on, the dealership had it turned all the way off where it wouldn't come on at all.

·
Registered
Rio5
15 Posts
Yea, I'm with wogdog. Just reach up over your head and slide the little switch to off. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. My question was more out of curiosity than anything else because I have had people tell me different things. I don’t know much about the workings of a car but instinctively would not think it advisable to cause a deliberate stall. My uncle on the other hand reckons it wouldn’t cause any problems and he’s an auto engineer by trade.

I find the Rio to be a really intuitive car with many practical features which is why I am surprised/annoyed that the engine start button cycles were not more thoughtfully designed. Having the radio stay on after turning off the engine until you remove the key from the ignition or until you open the door to exit is technology that has been around for a very long time. All the Rio really needs is an extra step in the engine start button cycle- one push to turn off the engine and then an additional push to turn off the accessory power and turn on the interior lights.

Cheers

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Does the Rio normally need the brake pedal pushed together with the start button? Maybe stop the engine then press the button without the brake might give you what you want. One of my cars (not KIA) is like that.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
412 Posts
I have an auto push button start, and in order to keep the radio on but turn off the engine, all i have to do is push the "start" button with the car in any gear other than park. engine shuts off, but ACC stays on. I can then shift in to park and continue to listen to a good song uninterrupted. Not sure if something similar would work on a manual since there is no "park" gear...

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,023 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My question was more out of curiosity than anything else because I have had people tell me different things. I don’t know much about the workings of a car but instinctively would not think it advisable to cause a deliberate stall. My uncle on the other hand reckons it wouldn’t cause any problems and he’s an auto engineer by trade.
As others have already advised, it would add additional unnecessary wear and stress to the clutch components - The friction surface and the damper springs in the clutch plate are at risk.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Wry 'Cuda and LordHelmet. I got really excited reading your posts thinking different combinations of gears/pedals would bring me a solution but alas no...

I will just have to live with it. I wonder if an auto electrician would be able to add the extra step I described above in the push button cycle??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I would just rather let the car idle then do that as it would still cut off the radio. I don't know why it bothers me as much as it does...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts