Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kio Rio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle has a delayed starting issue. At times I have to turn the key several times before vehicle will start. Dealer checked the car and so far all they found is a floating voltage reading from the alternator. While driving with a scan unit connected I view 10.5 to 14volts. Vehicle has a new battery and starter. Fuel pump activates. There seems to be a sound of a relay click in the dash behind the radio. At times vehicle starts on first turn of key, or after turning the key about five times. Is there a relay in the ignition circuit??

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
You said "At times vehicle starts on first turn of key, or after turning the key about five times"... Does the engine "crank" and not start or do you only get a "click"?
There is a starter relay under the hood in the fuse box. They are known for going bad and being intermittent... This will cause a NO cranking problem...
Depending on "if" you have a manual or automatic transmission you also have a "safety" interlock switch in the line... The Auto has one to force you to be in Neutral or Park and the manual has one on the clutch pedal forcing you to push the clutch down. Either one of these switches can cause problems.
And finally you may have a bad ignition switch...

If the engine cranks but won't run you may have a bad temperature sensor giving the ECM wrong information about the actual temperature of the engine...

Go to AutoZone/AdvanceAuto and get the codes read that are stored in the ECM. Do NOT get the codes erased just yet... Post what you find here (IE P0300...)
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Answer dave's question first does it crank? Nuetral safety switch auto tranny and the clutch pedal switch for a manual tranny come into play for no cranking. There is no relay involved with the starter motor it's right off the ING switch through thoes switches if it does not crank. Feed us some more info like dave says auto/manual? http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for service materials free in the USA Good luck with it. Reguards ronjohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts