Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Camry, Toyota 4Runner, Ford Explorer.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Kia drivers,

I was following your forum long time ago and today decided to join you.

As a lot of people in the world, I am amazed with the big change KIA did and doing and decided to buy one.

My first thread in this forum is a question or better say looking for advice.

I am kind of confused which Kia to buy?

Kia sorento EX V6 FWD vs. Kia optima EX ?

driving about 100miles per day. Not really concerned with the mpg.

Had the 2012 Sorento LX FWD V6 for like 1 month (rental). It was almost the perfect car (lack of options in the LX). I used to average about 23mpg city and 27.8mpg highway (speed 65-75 mph). My only observation was the ride quality. The problem was repaired later! The tires pressure was very high!

So, didn't have chance to drive the optima. What can you advice to help make my mind between these two Kias?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
welcome to the forum and my opinion is the Sorento has more room and comfort as for me i am 6'6" and love the comfort and the Optima EX the front passenger seat sets low and no adjustment on height my wife mentioned that during a test drive. i would suggest you drive the Optima and compare.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply.
I actually didn't feel any discomfort driving the Sorento! Was really a nice experience. I also had chance to push it to the limits with high speed like 90mph and tip tronic quick acceleration and braking. I really appreciate how the transmission downshifts (automatically) and how the complete package works.
I think I'll go for it (like 70%) but first I'd really like to try the Optima. I am not like SUV guy. I like small cars more. I've seen some pictures on the net for Optima Sporty Wagon. It does look like what I really need.

By the way, the only problem I had with the sorento (beside the tires pressure) is the slight shake on Idle. I think it was a dirty throttle body (had already 11k miles) I had similar problem with my 2005 Sorento EX. What do you think?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento, 2015 Honda Pilot. 2004 Honda Element, 2013 Triumph Speedmaster
31 Posts
Welcome from another new member! Have a great time making the decision - I think both are great vehicles. I have a 2011 Sorento, but that Optima is very nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I really agree they are both very good cars and I really wish that I don't have to decide and just get them both! :) - will be like dream came true-.

All my life I used to drive cars (no SUV or Trucks) When I started with the SUVs (My wife loves SUV) I didn't really liked them! They are often big, hard to manipulate and bad on gas. I like the SW cars or ones look like!

First the Kia Spectra 5 took my attention (the old one 2006) and I was closing a deal on one then I saw the 2011 Spectra 5 and started getting more interested in KIA and finally saw the Sorento which is much what I need but bigger then what I'm really looking for. Not big for texas though! Still small comparing to other trucks and SUVs we see on the roads.

Currently I am bored driving the Camry (LE) which is really a good car for old people or for so. With I4 2.4L engine and Automatic 4-speed transmission I have problem with it for my daily commute. Beside, it has no options (sure A/C, power lock, power window and Power steering).

I had the chance (as I mentioned earlier) to drive a 2012 Kia Sorento LX 2WD V6. That was really amazing! I see a lot of people complaining about the Sorento I4 mpg! I liked the V6. Getting me better mpg than my I4 Camry and like triple power (at least).

So then, I noticed the Optima driving around! frankly, I am a little bit concerned about the GDI as similar technology of DI used in GM suffers a lot (high pressure pump giving up very soon). Well, dealing with kia in the past gave me a good confidence about their product and I think they are up to the level.

So, do you think the Optima SW will make a way to Texas? and if there anybody driving an Optima, can you tell me more about your experience?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2012 Cerato/Forte Hatch SI
184 Posts
My brother lives in Sydney. He loves Australia. Will visit him in winter (us winter). He drives sorento diesel. He is satisfied.
You're almost an Aussie, mate!!!:D:D I live about 1.5 hrs north of Sydney up the F3 Freeway!!:D

Oh, nearly forgot, when you get here please note, we drive on the correct side of the road!!!! (ahem)!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts