Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have an odd noise coming from the front end of my Kia. It's a da-da-da-da-da-da sound on deceleration. It's not real loud. It slows down as I slow down.
We had the brakes and rotors replaced, but this odd noise is still there. Car seems to run fine, otherwise.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Matty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh, that sounds expensive.
Would it be unusual to need such a repair @ 80,000 miles?
Argggg...
But thanks for the post!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Depending on how loud, it may be a noise due to natural wear, and you may be able to put up with it. Try it on a flat road with gentle accelerator application and gradually release. Any change in noise is probably the differential. Check transmission/final drive oil level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the saga continues. As I said, I had the front brakes and rotors replaced, still had the noise, took it back to the shop. They inspected all the brakes AGAIN(front and back). Said the back were fine(as they did when I first brought it in), but that I needed a new caliper in the front. Fine. Why not get two. SO those were replaced. STILL have the noise. Now they tell me that well, by golly, those back rotors and pads are bad, after all. Grrr.

I did try the test above, with no noise change. It seems I have to first hit the brakes to have this noise show up, then it kinda hangs around, on and off. Very odd. The fluids are good.

Maybe it is just wear. Honestly, to me it sounds more and more like it might be tire related, but my tires are only a year old and were of good quality when purchased.

Wit's end time. Maybe I'll just turn up the radio. Naw...I think I need to take it to a new mechanic.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Are the tires balanced? Also, is anything stuck in one of the tires? I once had a screw in my tire. It wasn't leaking, but I kept hearing a strange thudding noise directly related to vehicle speed. The screw head was making the noise every time it hit the pavement. Lasted almost 2 months and found the screw upon tire rotation. Tire patched, no more noise. It might be worth a shot....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the tires and didn't see anything in them.

On a drive this morning, it was making its noise, and I decided to hit the brakes real firm and fast. The sound went away. I braked hard(well, harder than normal) all the rest of the way, and I didn't hear the sound at all.

When I got home, I noticed a slight 'brake' smell near the back right wheel, so clearly that is the one with the problem. The other wheels had no 'brake' smell coming from them.

I have an appointment next Tuesday with my good mechanic(whom I should have gone to in the first place). I am hoping I can drive the car safely til then. I don't have a lot of driving to do, just short jaunts in town.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, took it to the good mechanic. He found the problem right away after a test drive. It was a little pebble wedged up into the left rear caliper hanger! He removed it, turned the rotor, and it sounds just as it should, now.

Too bad I didn't take the time to go there in the first place, instead of the 'convenient' Farm and Fleet store. Almost 600$ for unnecessary front pads, rotors and calipers. AND they said I needed the same treatment in the back, to get rid of the noise.

Well, live and learn. My mechanic charged me all of 30$ to fix the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts