Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Soul Ignition SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was all set to buy a Rio 5 door but two things made me wait and perhaps postpone the purchase forever. 1) No inventory and no ordering. Inventory levels are pathetic unless you want an LX and you can't really order what you want. They will try and find one and get it allocated to their dealership, but forget a specific order and most importantly 2) Marketing arrogance. I want an SX and I want a moonroof and I DON'T want leather. I'd even be fine with an EX with a moonroof but unlike the Soul, where a moonroof package is offered on the Plus model, the only way you can get a factory moonroof on the Rio is with the premium package which requires taking leather. Thanks, but no thanks. Whomever the Einstein was at KIA who came up with this marketing decision should be shown the door. Even Ford, who builds Fiestas in Mexico allows you to add a moonroof for $745 on their SE models (EX equivalent). Adding an aftermarket moonroof is just not the same. KIA should offer a moonroof/push button start/navi package for the EX and SX models.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx 6spd Manual
24 Posts
I love my Rio, but I tend to agree with your assessment. Whoever came up with the model choices and distribution needs shot between the eyes. The two biggies is its way too difficult to find manual transmission cars, and its difficult to find SX cars. Finding a SX manual is almost impossible. Though some members lucked out and happened upon theirs. Kia assumes everybody wants an automatic fairly stripped economy car. But when these cars have the great look and decent power they do, that prediction doesn't apply to likely half the buyers.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
so darklight, you were getting rid of the Soul or was this in addition? It's KIA Motors US that request the way vehicles are to be built for your market, so they are the ones you can complain too. Here in Canada the EX model for the Rio 5 comes standard with the sunroof. However, our SX comes standard with leather and sunroof, auto and navigation being the only options.
No manufacturer lets you order what you want, you have to work within the parameters of the packages offered on that specific model.

I guess it doesn't matter how you package any vehicle there will always be someone who doesn't like the set up.

Like the Soul, the demand is outstripping the production. Rio sales YTD this year (to the end of October) are up about 125% over the same period last year, so if you base production on prior years sales with an allowance and it more than doubles, its not easy to adjust for those type of increases. The Soul is also well over its previous years record year by 18% too, hence the problem getting that vehicle too.

·
Registered
2010 Soul Ignition SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ole USA greed and being out of touch. I understand.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Yes all this can be explain with logic but let's put ourselves in darklight's shoes and understand that if his disappointment is so great, maybe it's because he really loved the Rio. I too was very disappointed for having to wait 6-7 weeks but I had time to wait and a car to ride in that I still liked. Let's hope Kia will be able to face the huge demand for its cars in the near future and offer more packages to satisfy every kind of customers.

·
Registered
2010 Soul Ignition SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm definitely either emailing Michael Sprague or calling him to give him my 'input' - maybe I'll even forward this thread to him. Anyone know his email address?

Never mind, found it and sent him a link to this thread and invited his response. Already got an automated reply:

I am currently on out of the office. I will return to the office on November 26th and respond to your message then. If you need immediate assistance, please contact my assistant, Guadalupe Seoane.

Thank you.

Michael Sprague
Executive Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Kia Motors America
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Michael. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Car manufacturers will build cars to suit the masses. The cars each country gets are specced according to market demand within that category and what can be offered as competitive without running at a loss.

Very few car companies will let a customer do a bespoke build. Why?? It is expensive; not just for the customer but for the company too. Kia can build you whatever options you want in your Rio as long as you have the money.

As for supply; understand the circumstances before complaining... Rio is made at one plant for the entire worlds supply. Kia and Hyundai have had countless strikes at their plants that have halted productivity. Demand for the new batch of Hyundai/Kia cars are high everywhere. Countries are allocated a set amount of cars per shipment. If demand in a high priority country is high then stock will be re-allocated from one country to another providing the two countries have the same specs.

All these add up to a not so bad waiting list. You think 6-7 weeks is bad?? Try an 86/BRZ/Veloster. Budget sports cars from different companies. Waiting lists for these cars depending on country is almost at 2years... Consider yourself lucky there is only an 6-8week turnaround if something is not in stock.

As for putting the shoes on the other foot; if I was this person I would pick the spec that is closest to what I want then see if there was anything with it I didnt like and see if anyone wanted to swap. Im sure it wouldnt be difficult to find someone that wanted to swap leather for cloth.

If I was Micheal Sprague, I would more than likely be giving a two word response depending on what you sent him.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
As I said:it all depends on how badly you want the car. Let's put it this way too: before my Rio, I only had American made cars: a Chrysler Neon, a Ford Mustang, a Mercury Topaz, two Pontiac Grand Prix, an Olsdmobile Cutlass, a Pontiac Firebird. Never waited to own my car. Bought the Neon on May 15, was at the wheel on May 18. So when you have that kind of experience in you car delivery, 6-7 weeks is a long long wait. Some like me don't mind, some do. Some mind a little. Some mind a little more. Again, I went to see Chevy Cruze, I could own one the next day. Same for the Fiesta. But I agree with you TJ85, darklight could have picked the model that comes closest to his expectations. I'm sure there was one. The waiting is the culprit here. If I could advise you darklight, why don't you go back to Kia and buy the Rio you like. Forget about the packages and all. Buy the Rio that suits best your needs and wishes. And go for it. Just accept the fact that you'll wait for it but it will be the Rio you will like. And if you don't wish to have leather, well between you and me, no big deal. I have the EX model, fully loaded but these options of the SX: 17 in tires, bigger suspension and brakes, Supervision cluster, heating steering, cooling glove compartment, cargo tray and luggage net, Clean Air Ionizer, Alloy sport pedals and wheels, push-button start and LED positioning lights and tailights. Know what, I should have gone for the SX after all. The Supervision cluster was all I really wanted from the SX and it could not be installed in my EX. But today, I know I would enjoy all the bells and whistles of the SX. For less that 2000$ more. Actually, my biggest regret is not going for the SX when it was time to buy.

·
Registered
2010 Soul Ignition SE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I was Micheal Sprague, I would more than likely be giving a two word response depending on what you sent him.
:lol:

I sent him a link to this thread and invited him to respond. It appears as though you already have the cheer leading side of the topic in hand so I'm guessing he won't need to cover that part of the discussion.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
I went for the SX with Nav and I'm still finding features. For example, the driver seat's heating comes on automatically when it is really cold in the morning. It only seems to happen when really cold. It must have some sensor. I've tried it many times to confirm. I thought it pretty cool. In any case, the things the car did not have and that I wanted I just added or replaced. And I waited 6 months with no regrets.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
I went for the SX with Nav and I'm still finding features. For example, the driver seat's heating comes on automatically when it is really cold in the morning. It only seems to happen when really cold. It must have some sensor. I've tried it many times to confirm. I thought it pretty cool. In any case, the things the car did not have and that I wanted I just added or replaced. And I waited 6 months with no regrets.
i noticed the auto seat heater a few mornings ago, but couldn't believe it, thanks for confirming that it is true! what a thoughtful feature! i wish the steering wheel and rear defroster would do the same too.... but it is so awesome that the seat does it!

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
i noticed the auto seat heater a few mornings ago, but couldn't believe it, thanks for confirming that it is true! what a thoughtful feature! i wish the steering wheel and rear defroster would do the same too.... but it is so awesome that the seat does it!
That's cool. I wish it would get cold enough here for me to see if it works for mine. Oh wait.......no I don't.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine was just below 0 C / 32 F. I think it may have to do with other factors as well, but that's what I think triggers it.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
I don't have the auto feature for my heated seats on my Soul, just a two-stage setting, but things like the seat heater, HRW, heating steering wheels, auto wipers etc I think I would like to be the judge as to whether I want it to operate or not.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Heated steering wheel also comes on every time I start the car( regardless of temperature) along with the seat unless the switch is pushed in to turn it off.Pretty cool(or hot:))

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Heated steering wheel also comes on every time I start the car( regardless of temperature) along with the seat unless the switch is pushed in to turn it off.Pretty cool(or hot:))
Your heated steering wheel definitely should NOT come on regardless of temp every time you start the car. You may want to get that checked out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think the heated steering wheel comes on automatically if you last had it on when the car was turned off. I'd have to confirm that but I think that's the pattern.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I think the heated steering wheel comes on automatically if you last had it on when the car was turned off. I'd have to confirm that but I think that's the pattern.
Could be that. I haven't explored it much. Not a lot of use for heated steering wheel around these parts.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
according to the manual the heated steering wheel:
- ignition switch has to be in the ON position
- push the button to turn on, push again to turn off
- will turn off automatically about 30 minutes after being turned on
- if ignition is turned off and then on again within 30 minutes (with button on) it will remain on

for the heated seats:
- ignition switch must be in the ON position
- with switch on they turn on and off automatically depending on the seat temperature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts