Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a price quote of 1265$ in Canada (prices are generally more here)

for:
brakes all around (pads/roaters) (888$)
2 front table bushing (148$)
1 Stop light switch (for repairing illuminating ESC OFF light when driving)

they told me they could cut the taxes and do everything for about 1000$ tax in.

This seems pretty high, but I am considering it.

Another independent mechanic quoted me 690$ just for the brakes.

I'm pretty handy (i'm an electrician), and I'm wondering if its worth trying on my own, I've always been weary of Car mechanics though.. Its not so much the install I'm worried about, but I wouldn't know how much to grease and lubricate everything up properly, and with what.

I have basic hand tools and socket sets.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
07 Kia Sportage 2WD, V6, EX
88 Posts
Have you ever done a brake job?

I just replaced my front pads last night in about 3o minutes. 2 bolts 9/16th and a C-clamp.
I will admit that the bolts holding the entire assembly can be VERY hard to brake lose, but not the end of the world.
my pads were $40 US for best Everwear brand.

Price seems really high.
even at 1 hour an wheel thats $400 labor. Parts arent $500.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never done a break job, but looking at youtube videos it looks easy enough..

Like I said I'm pretty handy, just never really worked on cars, so i'm debating attempting it...

·
Registered
Kia Rio 06
81 Posts
You should try it, its really not that hard to do. If you take your time you can easily get it done before the sun light goes down ( if you start early morning).

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
I've never done a break job, but looking at youtube videos it looks easy enough..

Like I said I'm pretty handy, just never really worked on cars, so i'm debating attempting it...
it is a very easy job to do and straight forward if you have a friend thats done it before have him give you hand.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
hektic was quoted for pads and rotors, whereas some of the advice given above is for a quick pads-only job.

If you are going to do work on the brakes/suspension, it's a good idea to use a torque wrench, so that you don't break your brakes or lose a loose bolt. Note the spelling. :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
I just did my whole front system 2 weeks ago, replaced front rotors and pads, bought them off ebay for 86 dollars.

With all mentioned you can get a complete brake kit, front rotors and pads, and rear rotors and pads for about 200 us. So if they are charging you over 600 dollars in labor, I would find a different place to do this at, or, do it yourself and save hundreds.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
Way over charged, buy front and rear kits, pads and rotors for well under 200 bucks, and labor, maybe 2 hours. unless they take 10 hours or charge 200 dollars an hour labor, that quote should be cut in at least half.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts