Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I run a 2003 Sedona SE V6 petrol as a Hackney Carriage (that's 'taxi' to all our non-UK chums!). It has served extremely well for 90k in just 17 months, but now the problems have started. First it needed a new drive shaft (I have heard unofficially that there are problems with these) and a new steering rack just because a small plastic seal went - all under warranty.

About six weeks ago, the whole thing went into 'fail-safe' mode and limited me to 20mph to get to the dealer. The dealer has now had the vehicle for over SIX WEEKS as they tell me the fault is the fuel pump (at the tank) and that there IS NOT ONE IN EUROPE and has to come from Korea. In addition to the time waiting for the first two items and the day of lost earnings while they stripped the car down only to find the wrong parts had been delivered, this fiasco has cost me over £2500 in lost earnings and the cost of getting another cab on the road - and it's only a 4-seater so I loose the extra there too!

Has any one else had similar problems to this - either parts availability ones, or dealer related? Would really love to hear from anyone on this. I have (fortunately) got the support of a major finance company who are monitoring this, as they WERE putting together a big finance deal for cab drivers to buy Sedonas. They weren't very happy to hear about this, so any info I can provide to them might help all of us!

Other than that, every passengers loves the vehicle - especially the leather!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1fastkia - Surprised that you feel that having to wait 15 days for parts is 'to be expected'. Maybe we're used to better service in Europe. The Sedona is the biggest selling full-size MPV in the UK and is being advertised heavily. So why no parts back up?

There's another interesting footnote to my problems - the dealer has had the vehicle 8 weeks, they have got the fuel pump now and have fitted it. There is just one problem - due to the V6 engine being 'canted over' so that one line of cylinders is almost horizontal, the lower cylinder head gasket (seal) has 'gone'. They have now had to take the engine out to replace it - thankfully all under warranty. I have NEVER heard of an engine (the V6 is reputedly a Mitsubishi unit) needing a new head gasket after sitting idle for just 8 weeks before!

Don't think I'll be paying a visit to the Kia showroom for another, me thinks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hackney I think the v6 is the one fitted to rovers the"kv6" which does eat the head gaskets as it gets older-try the rover forums for some answers ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eco - Must admit it doesn't look much like the Rover lump! As you are only over the water in Essex, how do you find the dealers over there? I don't detect very much 'enthusiasm' from the few we have locally to me? Have you also had fun with fitting new brake light bulbs yet? Make sure you get them the right way round 'cos they don't arf sod yer wiring loom up if you don't!

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oooooh! Touched a nerve there have I? I didn't say they are 'affiliated' with Mitsubishi, I just said I 'understand' the V6 petrol engine fitted to European models is a Mitsi. unit. It is not at all unusual for companies to buy each others parts (major and minor) and stick their own badge on them. Rover in the UK has done this for years with a 1950's Buick all aluminium V8 which has found it's way into countless vehicles over here with a Rover badge on it - and everyone calls it the 'Rover V8', not the 'Buick V8'!

In any case, the 2.9 diesel up to end of 2003 is definitely a Mercedes derived lump - and there's no argument about that!!

One another - hopefully lighter - note, do you have the Picanto in the States? If so, what do people think of it? My wife wants one as she's been driving round in the courtesy car for the last 8 weeks!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
I was just stating. didnt touch a nerve. I know a lot of companies do use other companies motors. as far as the diesel im sure it is a different company as kia doesnt produce diesel motors for cars as far as i know. But in the case of american kias they have a kia motor made and engineered by kia.
well this is the history.
kia from 94-97 used either a ford, mazda motor. actually had a lot of vaiations of liter wise. like there is a 1.5L, 1.6L, and 1.8L up until 97.
From 98-01 the sephias and spectras use a 1.8L Kia motor. made by them produced by them. engineered by them. even the 02-03 spectra were the same 1.8L kia made motor.
then in late 03 hyuandai aquired a lot of kia and started to produce motors for them. 04 till current hyuandai motor is used now. the same as the ones in the hyuandai cars. 2.0Lcvvt motors.
the sedonas, sorentos here in usa use kia 3.5L
the optima is the same but has the 2 motor configurations. the 4cyl and the 6 cyl both kia motors made by them.
so im assuming unless it is diesel it is kia or hyuandai made.

Its cheaper for kia to prduce make and engineer there own motors for a while im guessing until hyuadai stepped in.

maybe it is different in other countries.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The 2.5 V6 is a Rover engine, Rover sold the rights to build a version of the KV6 engine to Kia..
pity they sold them the 'bad' design or something, cos they are horrible units, they are not turned over to have one bank horizontal, they sit in a V as per normal, just being a poorly made unit are prone to troubles, and I hate to tell you... but you'll be lucky to get away with just a head gasket on one of those.

The Picanto is a good car, bargain buy, and being a 'new gen' Kia very trouble free so far!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hackney no probs with Westdrive in Braintree seem friendly if you can get pservice desk to answer the phone! As for the brake lights Ive only replaced the whole lamp unit when the misses backed into a skip - but it did cme complete with bulbs! My father in ln law bought a sedona new when I did last january for airport runs and has put 30k on no problems apart from an appitite for brake fluid ? (Has stuck 60k on a rover 75 in the same time too great car but crap dealers.) p.s. Get Sedona courtesy car when having services.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
50 Posts
Got mine from Westdrive
they seems ok not had any troubles with my sedona yet !!! i know what you mean about that phone

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by hackney@Mar 15 2005, 03:06 PM

In any case, the 2.9 diesel up to end of 2003 is definitely a Mercedes derived lump - and there's no argument about that!!

Oh! Great! I am driving a Merc and didn´t know. really? I had no clue. How can you know that? Is it the same engine as in 290TD?

T :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts