Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you do a coolant change at 30,000 miles? Dealer wants a hundred bucks. I'm skeptical.

He's arguing that any fluid he can inspect during a service interval is subject to being replaced regardless of the factory-specified replacement interval for the fluid. That makes sense to me, except that my coolant looks fine, and he hasn't done anything to test it except look at the color.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento, 2015 Honda Pilot. 2004 Honda Element, 2013 Triumph Speedmaster
31 Posts
Sounds kind of fishy to me, particularly since they didn't even test it.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,411 Posts
First coolant change should be at 60k, and every 30k after. Look in your owners manual, section 7, to check the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
What a rip-off. Coolant is less subject to deterioration these days with all-alloy engines. I just had it done at 100,000km for a cost of $40. Usually if it looks OK, it is.

If you do have it done, don't forget to top-up after a few days, as it's hard to get all the air with the initial fill.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Why you cannot do this 'coolant change' by yourself? Does some obscure action has to be done so ONLY dealer has tools/can perform it? I am just curious...

·
Registered
2008 Magentis EX 2.4
16 Posts
What year is your car? Coolant does start to loose its rust inhibitor with age. Also scaling does happen with out running the car. For the dealer to recomend the coolant change at 30,000 miles seems to me it would have to do with the age of the car, 2011 Optima would not need it to be done for another few years at least

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
cpurick - it's always a help if we knew what year and model you are driving. Please fill out your location and drives profile - thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts