Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer replace fan blade( under warranty recall) and fan clutch. engine makes an high whine noice almost like a desiel truck taking off from the stop light. Also, when going down the highway, you can hear the fan clutch spool up, high whine, there is no jump in rpms.
Could the fan clutch load the engine down??( its brand new) i took it back to dealer and they said has to break in (really!!) nosie will go away.
will fan clutch casue terrible gas mileage?? I also notice when i let off the gas to slow down to exit freeway, engine act like i'm still pulling something, seem to me the engine should go to a free wheeling state, not sound like it under a load.
OOOO! another thing the engine sounds like its under a load at 60 to 65 mph, i can hear high engine nosie.
My 2010 Hundia is quiet and you let off gas and its coast good.
Lots of things going on here , suggestions?????

I've track gas mileage, i'm lucky to get 230 to 240 miles to a tank

Geno

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I'd question the replacement fan clutch...The load problem usually goes along with a BAD (frozen) radiator fan clutch...

The new clutch looks like it is not working properly...

Should have visited these forums BEFORE going to the dealer...We would have suggested the electric fan mod and removing the old mechanical clutch/fan ass'y.. Better mileage, cheaper repair cost, and much better reliability...
The fan causes a noticeable drag from moving the air...especially when the clutch freezes.
Dave

·
Registered
2001 4x4 Sportage Limited
128 Posts
I'd question the replacement fan clutch...The load problem usually goes along with a BAD (frozen) radiator fan clutch...

The new clutch looks like it is not working properly...

Should have visited these forums BEFORE going to the dealer...We would have suggested the electric fan mod and removing the old mechanical clutch/fan ass'y.. Better mileage, cheaper repair cost, and much better reliability...
The fan causes a noticeable drag from moving the air...especially when the clutch freezes.
Dave
Is that fan modification listed in the archive area? Yes it was. This is the first one I found. http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/54642-electric-fan-instal.html

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
If the motor sounds like a turbo-prop airplane getting ready for take-off, then it's probably the fan clutch engaged .. Given the engine is feeling like it's under load when coasting / in Neutral, that would be a good possibility.

You gas mileage will be lousy if the fan clutch is constantly engaged also.

( Totally subjective calculation: 10 - 15+ HP engaged under full load, the fan clutch is only supposed to fully engage at low RPM / when the cooling system is approx. 195 degrees Fahrenheit .. )

re: "break-in" period - if brand-new, call the dealer & give them a heads-up, if after giving the new clutch 200-500 max. miles to wear in, if still engaged constantly, let 'em know & take it back in.. (That's what I would do.)

* Good to hear that the dealer did replace fan blade & clutch assembly under the recall, though.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Is that fan modification listed in the archive area? Yes it was. This is the first one I found. http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/54642-electric-fan-instal.html
Hi FatMoe, that's the thread I used.

Would use the ProComp 16" fan and a good quality 190 degree snap switch for $$$ savings if considering converting over,

*the SPAL fan / controller setup I ended up installing is still working fine after 2 years now, but was about 3x the cost, vs. the ProComp setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody
yep, thats what i suspected that the new clutch, wasnt doing its things, i've got close to maybe 2000 to 2500 miles since installed of new clutch ( dealer say break it it, hell its now new anymore lolol) getting dealer to replace, that going to take some good salemanship, i tried last time to drive the thing to hear, , when they said give it time to break in i realize, they wont drive, nothing, due to proably insurance. but i will give it a try to call them.
I was hoping this car would at lease get 25 mile to the gallon on teh highway..geezzz
I'm going to check into that electrical fan mod too...prety handy around cars, is that something you all think i can do???

Geno

·
Registered
2001 4x4 Sportage Limited
128 Posts
Hi FatMoe, that's the thread I used.

Would use the ProComp 16" fan and a good quality 190 degree snap switch for $$$ savings if considering converting over,

*the SPAL fan / controller setup I ended up installing is still working fine after 2 years now, but was about 3x the cost, vs. the ProComp setup.
I'm gonna do it, just not this time of year. (when it really needs to be done) The ambient temperature is almost hot enough to pop corn right now. Plus, the trucks purring like a kitten right now.
That Jeep radiator sounds like the way to go as well. It looks like a clean modification too. Do you know what year/model radiator I'd need? Are the hoses the same diameter, and are the location, bends the same, or do the need to be replaced?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
fan blade is installed right, only one way, the clutch goes inside the hub of the fan blades,
drove alot yesterday (do to job) was fairly quiet in the early morning(colder then), but as the day went along, was a constant whining up9just like a beechcraft king air airplance, natural out here in arizona got too 107, same ole same, driving down the highway and you hear the high whine up at 65 mph, havent contact dealer that install yet, hopefully next couple of days, think i'll just try an email, see how they respond. I just know this isnt right, ive had clutches go out before, last time, couldnt drive the car over 40 mph.

If dealer wont warrant clutch, where do you all recommend to buy another one

Geno
2002 kia sportage

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
There is a 1 year,12,000 mile warranty on ALL Kia parts. There should be NO reason why they won't replace it for you. If they won't, then go to another dealer!! Or call Kia corp. office.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Cobra knows!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
corba
O wowow, thanks for info didnt realize that, i will definitely contact them, i have all paper work in my maintenance 3 ring binder i made for this car, again thanks will sent an email today see what they say.
will keep you all in the loop on this project

Geno
2002 sportage

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
thanks everybody
yep, thats what i suspected that the new clutch, wasnt doing its things, i've got close to maybe 2000 to 2500 miles since installed of new clutch ( dealer say break it it, hell its now new anymore lolol) getting dealer to replace, that going to take some good salemanship, i tried last time to drive the thing to hear, , when they said give it time to break in i realize, they wont drive, nothing, due to proably insurance. but i will give it a try to call them.
I was hoping this car would at lease get 25 mile to the gallon on teh highway..geezzz
I'm going to check into that electrical fan mod too...prety handy around cars, is that something you all think i can do???

Geno

This truck was rated at 21mpg highway, 17 city...

I had the electric fan, intake, exhaust, and more, and with stock suspension I got 25mpg with an all time high of 27. I got an average of 22mpg average driving with a 3" lift and bigger tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok,
I've tried something else now, i read somewhere in the forum a way to test the fan clutch, but unable to find it again, this is what i read:

when cold: should spin freely, but how freely, mine only spun maybe 270 degrees, it didnt spin 2 or 3 time revloutions

when Hot: fan blade hard to spin, or not at all

Egine is off for both test

does this sound right???

mine spun cold and spun the same with engine hot,and engine in off position, sure like to know if this is a good test, and if it is then my dealer install clutch is...."DEFECTIVE"
and definitely will fight with them for replacement

Genoaz
2002 kia sportage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts