Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna, 2013 Kia Rio5 SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new here, but have decided to get a 13 SX w/nav. We were at a dealer discussing the car with them and we really want/need something off the lot for various reasons. Because there are so few SX's around on lots, they suggested replacing the factory UVO unit with an aftermarket Nav system. From what I understood from the dealer, this would not effect my warrenty coverage at all, but would replace all the factory camera/uvo/usb/etc. Steering wheel controls and everything else would work the same.

I guess my questions are

1) Is this ok/common? Good or bad idea? Should I just wait for a factory unit to come in?
2) How would this effect resale value?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
It would be cheaper to just keep the UVO and use an aftermarket GPS like a Garmin or Tom Tom. ($100 - $200)

That's what I use, unless you need a NAV full time for driving (salesman for example) I can't see much point to these units as in my case I only have need for them on vacation or trips to unfamiliar areas which is maybe about half-dozen times a year. Most of my normal driving I know where I'm going all the time.

At least the portable unit can be hidden when not in use. It's your money, did you ask what it would cost to do this? It's part of the $2350 premium package, so my guess it would cost at least that to do it later just for that unit - you can never get them as cheap as factory installed unit.

Assumed you were in the US, but you did not indicate your location. In Canada the NAV is an option on its own not part of any package and its a $1200 option. This applies to the sedan or hatchback.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I use my Android phone for GPS. I have a suction holder attached to the little triangular window on the driver's side and I ran the charging wire from the USB port under the dash past the steering wheel and then up just inside the door near the hinges. It's not really noticeable at all.

For my purposes the only real advantage I see to the Nav unit is the larger screen for backup cam.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Aftermarket unit have small buttons and lots of whiz-bang for 14 year-olds.

OEM has nice big buttons for winter gloves and easier to operate. I recommend getting an EX w/ Convenience and using a nice nav unit when needed. Better ride too IMHO.

All-in-one units has at least one thing go bad and then the whole unit has to be replaced. Ugh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's comment. My wife is the the one who would strongly prefer a head unit built in NAV system. We've had crappy luck with Garmin/TomTom units, they never seem to stay on our window and come off at very convenient times, since this happened with multiple units my wife would just prefer it being built in understanding we're paying a premium.

The dealer said the price would be the same as just getting the Nav addon (in Canada).

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Crutchfield.com is a good place to start for aftermarket.

The OEM UVO headunit should unplug and the new NAV unit plug right in. The A and B connectors are the same. I don't see where the GPS antenna in plugged in via the A or B connector. Its not listed. But it looks very easy and straightforward to convert over. If you're handy, see if any NAV units come up on ebay or just get one thru the dealer.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
Thanks for everyone's comment. My wife is the the one who would strongly prefer a head unit built in NAV system. We've had crappy luck with Garmin/TomTom units, they never seem to stay on our window and come off at very convenient times, since this happened with multiple units my wife would just prefer it being built in understanding we're paying a premium.

The dealer said the price would be the same as just getting the Nav addon (in Canada).
I would be very skeptical about that amount, just don't see how they can do it with the labour costs, must be going to farm it out to local auto radio shop.

I have a Garmin, never put on the window, there is many ideas for mounting the unit, myself I use a heavy base, leaves no marks and you can put it anywhere on the dash that's convenient and it doesn't slide around.

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
I have both: Android phone (Samsung Galaxy SIIX, 4.5") with CoPilot and NAV unit. I prefer the UI in the CoPilot but I love the convenience of the NAV unit. My wife is the same way as your wife. She prefers the NAV over the phone. For me, I am now used to the NAV UI and therefore don't use my phone anymore (2D but goes 3D on exits and other close-ups). All integrated is also nicer, IMHO. A considerable factor for me is the look. When I look at the smaller screen UVO-based system and then I look at my NAV system, in my mind, they just don't compare; NAV all the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both: Android phone (Samsung Galaxy SIIX, 4.5") with CoPilot and NAV unit. I prefer the UI in the CoPilot but I love the convenience of the NAV unit. My wife is the same way as your wife. She prefers the NAV over the phone. For me, I am now used to the NAV UI and therefore don't use my phone anymore (2D but goes 3D on exits and other close-ups). All integrated is also nicer, IMHO. A considerable factor for me is the look. When I look at the smaller screen UVO-based system and then I look at my NAV system, in my mind, they just don't compare; NAV all the way.
Do you have the factory NAV then? How are updates handled? The dealer said it cost some $$ to update and not something we can do ourselves?

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
@night_day I don't know. I never asked the dealer. I did see another thread with the information. I suspect it will be done either via USB or CD.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
ALWAYS consider price for updating maps on factory NAVI. Maps you get with factory/OEM in dash NAVI are ALREADY obsolete for at least 6 months. If you will be happy with maps which came with NAVI and do plan to update them for a few years then you do not need factory NAVI and the way I see it is it just show off piece in the car.
Manufacturers ask for $1-2000 for NAVI plus $200+ for map updates which are very irregular.
Go for portable NAVI (Garmin); it has 4x a year map updates; I have it stuck to windshield and it NEVER come off by itself; there are other options ('beanie bags'); portable can be hold in hand by passenger, program route, you name it. With in dash you are stuck with the unit for the life of car.
Most of the time factory NAVI is positioned way to low for my taste so I do not find it safe to use while driving.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
If you want to go aftermarket, how about this?

I personally went for the Nav - even though I agree that it's way overpriced and not even as good as my iPhone.

I do like the clean OEM look, bigger buttons and the full integration (voice controls, bluetooth etc). With dash installed aftermarket Navi there might be issues getting your steering wheel controls to work (you need to program an extra module PAC or Axxess... IF, it works with whatever system you choose). I just couldn't be bothered. Plus you get the backup camera too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, after further discussions with my wife and the dealers input, we decided against getting the NAV unit. We bought the SX right off the lot, should have it this week, I am psyched!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts