Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Kia Sorento LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought in my '11 Sorento for 30k service. just received following text:

"when you get a free min can you call me, The tech let me know your brake fluid is in need of being flushed out and replaced, also the fuel system is getting really dirty and is in need of cleaning."

Another scam for revenue?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,724 Posts
I would do the EFI/fuel cleaning. Tell them you will pass on the brake flush. It won't hurt. but is not need at this time.

·
Registered
'11 Kia Sorento LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They say the brake fluid is dark / green, recommend change for $95.
Also, the throttle body is "dark", but "not bad". Can do full fuel service for $110 or minor for $30. This is on top of $580 for 30K maintenance that includes oil change, tire rotation, alignment, transmission service, coolant service, engine cleaner ...

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,724 Posts
Tell them not now, maybe later. Sounds to me you have spent enough for now!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
I'm a believer in flushing the brake fluid, maybe every two years, especially in humid climates.

The brake fluid is made to absorb moisture. Moisture will get into the system, and if the fluid doesn't absorb the water, it'll pool in the low spots--the calipers--and rust. Brake fluid that contains moisture has two problems...it'll eventually cause corrosion in the calipers, and the biggie is that it will boil at a relatively low temperature under the heat of emergency braking. If the brake fluid boils your pedal goes to the floor and you have no brakes. This happened to a friend towing a horse trailer down Mt. Adams. When he finally got safely stopped he took several deep breaths, looked his brake system over and saw no problems. When he restarted his drive his brakes worked OK. His mechanic told him about boiling brake fluid. There was another case nearby where a car in a state park was going down a very steep incline, lost the brakes, crashed, and killed a child. The police investigation, as noted in the newspaper, determined the cause to be boiling brake fluid. In both these cases the drivers should have done two things differently--had their brake fluid flushed periodically and shifted to low gear for the steep downhill grade.

So...anyone competent can flush the brake fluid. I do it on our three vehicles. Check prices and don't let yourself be upsold into more services. The fuel system thing probably doesn't need to be done at all unless you notice the engine running rough. I always wipe out my throttle body at 30,000 miles, it is always dirty, and I never notice a difference in how the engine runs.

tire rotation, alignment, transmission service, coolant service, engine cleanerTire rotation--probably. Alignment--only if it needed it, if you saw accelerated wear or the car pulled to one side. Transmission service--good idea to drain and renew part of the fluid but probably not needed at 30k. Coolant service--5 year item. Engine cleaner--scam.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
They say the brake fluid is dark / green, recommend change for $95. Also, the throttle body is "dark", but "not bad". Can do full fuel service for $110 or minor for $30. This is on top of $580 for 30K maintenance that includes oil change, tire rotation, alignment, transmission service, coolant service, engine cleaner ...
$580 is a lot of money for 30k service. One of our cars has 110,000 km and is well out of warranty. I keep an eye on service items myself and get the local garage to change the oil once a year and do anything else that REALLY has to be done. Last time it was coolant flush and change for a total of $150 including oil and filter; charge for 2 six-monthly services from Mazda would have been close to $800.

For wheel alignment, I go to a particluar tyre shop that has the best equipment in town. You'll find that many dealers farm out their alignment jobs (not necessarily to the best place). Rotating wheels you can do yourself at the cost of a little sweat. Check the condition of the tyres and look for brake wear. Look at the suspension as you go, and here are several "big ticks" on the service sheet that will cost you nothing.

You have to wonder what would happen if you ignored the 30k service. For example, I have a feeling that hire cars are NEVER serviced. Can't see the smart guys at rental firms having their car off the road for a day and pouring money into a car rather than renting it out. Besides, they sell the car after a couple of years. The engine oil in hire cars always looks suspiciously murky.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
Be cautious of not following the owners manual on maintenance intervals. It gives good cause for denying a warranty claim. I am not saying you have to have the dealer do it but it needs to be done. You can save alot by doing most of it yourself.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Be cautious of not following the owners manual on maintenance intervals. It gives good cause for denying a warranty claim. I am not saying you have to have the dealer do it but it needs to be done. You can save a lot by doing most of it yourself.
Car mentioned in previous post was serviced by the dealer for about 4 years to maintain warranty status, but we were doing a lot of miles in those days and I had little time to look after the servicing myself. An upcoming service was quoted at quite a high price and the car had been relegated to "Mum's Taxi" role by that stage, so I decided to economise on servicing. Car has been trouble-free for nearly 10 years.

In most parts of the world, Mazda suggests 12-month service intervals; in Australia it's 6 months. They seem to think we're all dodging kangaroos while driving through thick scrub in 40ºC heat.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
I was refering to post #3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts