Kia Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
...it comes with a separate key fob you can pair it to your smart key and ditch the fobs. Even my dealer didn't know about this. So you don't have to carry a second remote after its paired.
We are still hoping to hear how to do this? Can you comment further Michaelnmisty?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento Ex V6 AWD - 3.3L GDI V6 - 20" x 8.5" Menzari VM08 wheels, Yokohama GeolandarH/T-S275/45
255 Posts
I have had a Compustar remote starter installed into my 2014 Sorento and have had absolutely no issues with it what so ever. It works every time, flawlessly, and it was not 'factory installed' and did not come with the vehicle.

As long as you get a professional, competent, knowledgable company or person to install a remote starter in your vehicle, it will work properly. You also get what you pay for, so don't go cheap as possible, get a quality system, installed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I always hear on here people talking about 'if it's not factory installed it won't work' or 'will void your warranty' blah blah blah, well I've had my vehicle serviced since installing the remote starter, and they did not mention one single thing about voiding warranty etc. by having that remote starter installed. In fact, when I asked them about getting one put in (before I had the one I now have installed) they told me that they (the Kia dealer I got my Sorento from) don't actually install the remote starters themselves, and they aren't from Kia, they send their vehicles out to a shop they use to install them, aftermarket ones, and it would have cost me almost double what I paid for my system installed, and in the end I would have still had an aftermarket unit installed into my vehicle.

Kia vehicles aren't the pinnacle of automotive technology (contrary to what some people here believe lol) so if an installation shop is trusted to install remote starters into $150,000 Mercedes, BMW's, Porsche's, Jaguars etc. I'm quite sure that they can manage to get one put into your Kia lol.

Like I said, when all is said and done, I had a remote starter installed into my 2014 Sorento, and it works perfectly, no issues, and I'm very happy with the results so far. Just do some research, get customer recommendations on a good shop/installer and spend the money to get a quality product installed right the first time, and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
In all the automotive forums I've frequented or moderated, there always seems to be confusion about factory warranties and how they are affected by owner modifications.

Your warranty can only be voided for a few very specific reasons - racing being the number one reason. Other than that, nothing you do to your vehicle will "void" the warranty. The dealer/manufacturer is within their rights to deny any particular warranty claim if it is determined that a modification caused the reported issue but they can't totally void your warranty. If you were to stuff an LS3 V8 engine into your Sorento, obviously the engine would not be covered by the Kia warranty and probably not the rest of the drivetrain since it would all be affected by the increased power. But the dealer would still be required to fix your power windows under warranty if they stopped working because there is no way they could say the replacement engine caused the failure.

More to the point of this discussion though, the aftermarket remote start would not have affected any warranty claim unrelated to the ignition or starting system so it is not surprising that you have not had an issue with your dealer. You may find it a completely different situation should you take the vehicle to the dealer with a starting problem. The dealer (and Kia) would be well within their rights to say the problem is related to the aftermarket remote and refuse to cover it under warranty. Now, if you are a good customer and it was the dealer that had the aftermarket kit installed for you then they might cover it under their own goodwill policy even though they would eat the cost because Kia would not reimburse them as a warranty repair. Otherwise, be prepared to bear the repair cost yourself... or try to get the aftermarket shop to fix it. (This is where buying a quality product and going to a reputable shop for installation can make all the difference in the world.)

Related to warranties... if you get the factory remote start kit or any other factory accessory installed as part of the original vehicle deal (regardless of dealer or factory installation), it will be covered for the entire factory warranty. If instead you go back to the dealer to buy/install the kit after taking delivery then it will be covered only for the 1-year parts and accessories warranty.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts