Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our '15 Sorento EX with remote start included in the deal but it was not on the vehicle. The dealer's service department installed it after delivery. We have been assured that it is a Kia original kit and that it will be covered for the full length of the OEM warranty since it was part of the original deal. But after seeing what looks very much like an aftermarket antenna mounted to the windshield behind the mirror, I'm not so sure that it wasn't an aftermarket kit they installed. The antenna was not there as part of the factory keyless entry system which makes me wonder why a factory remote start wouldn't have used the existing factory antenna.

Has anyone else got the factory remote start (either factory or dealer installed) that can confirm or deny whether there should be an antenna mounted on the inside of the windshield?

·
Registered
2014 kia rio ex , ford van
193 Posts
my 02 saturn had a antenna on the inside of the windshield that was part of the remote start . i do not think mine was factory either but it did have a underhood sticker for the remote start .
that antenna offered a nice long range though .

just get down under the dash on the drivers side and look up ,you should see the module in there somewhere and can identify it that way .
an aftermarket one will clearly be marked like "scorpion" or some other name .
a factory system would be unmarked or say kia i imagine .

if its factory then you should be able to work it with your "smart" keyfob .

if they handed you a second keyfob for the remote start that would be a red flag right there . mine certainly had a separate remote

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kia does not have a "factory" remote start. The system they use is technically an aftermarket kit from a company that has been contracted by Kia to fit in their vehicles. It does use a second remote, but it is fully covered under warranty. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The remote start came with an additional tiny remote that has only two buttons - remote start and remote shut off. This was not unexpected since the factory keyless remote doesn't have a remote start button and would have to be a different design to fit one along with the lock, unlock, panic and remote tailgate buttons. I have seen remote start kits for earlier models that replace the factory fob with a 4-button one adding the remote start button but they don't have a remote tailgate release button.

The instruction cards say Kia on them and appear professionally printed so I'm starting to wonder whether it's a third party product developed specifically for Kia. I remember GM used to sell Hornet alarm systems under GM part numbers as dealer installed "factory" alarm system upgrades.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia does not have a "factory" remote start. The system they use is technically an aftermarket kit from a company that has been contracted by Kia to fit in their vehicles. It does use a second remote, but it is fully covered under warranty. You have nothing to worry about.
Thanks Dave.

The remote was never my concern. The ugly antenna stuck inside the windshield seems like an unnecessary afterthought especially since they had to "splice into the factory antenna" anyway. We discovered that when we picked it up and the remote unlock wouldn't work even when you were standing right next to the door - they had messed up the "splice".

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
What does you receipt say as far as part they installed??

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No receipt - it was part of the original sales contract and a "we owe" slip that didn't say anything other than remote starter kit. We brought the vehicle in about a week after delivery, they handed us the keys to a loaner and said it would be done in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What we got looks more like the tiny remotes in the second link than the larger 4-button remote shown in the first link. And that looks like the add-on antenna in the lower left of the second link.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had the Kia remote start installed on my new Sportage and even though it comes with a separate key fob you can pair it to your smart key and ditch the fobs. Even my dealer didn't know about this. So you don't have to carry a second remote after its paired.

·
Registered
'14 Sorento SX V6 (2WD)
352 Posts
Just had the Kia remote start installed on my new Sportage and even though it comes with a separate key fob you can pair it to your smart key and ditch the fobs. Even my dealer didn't know about this. So you don't have to carry a second remote after its paired.
That is interesting. For your factory fob on the Sportage, does it just need something like the unlock button held down for X seconds or something then?

·
Registered
2017 Sorrento SX
9 Posts
My remote start was also part of the original purchase which I had installed a week or so after I bough the car. I picked it up and was told after remote starting the car I would have to use the second remote to open the doors. I found this odd as I just assumed the Kia remote start with come with a new remote programmed for all oem functions?

What I found out later is the remote start I had installed was an aftermarket unit?
So I need to carry both remotes, the range is not great, the rear hatch won't open while remote started, etc.

Went back to the dealer to ask why aftermarket? Why I wasn't told at the time of the sales or given a choice aftermarket or the Kia. They told me the Kia remote starters are very problematic so they don't even install them?

I wish I was told this at the time of purchase as I would have opted out and had another better remote start installed.I have waranty through this dealer but what if I'm travelling and have problems I'm sure another dealer will not be able to fix as quickly as a Kia unit.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD, Ninja 300
7 Posts
I will assume mine is also a third party as I have a second FOB.
If I unlock the doors with the kia FOB the vehicle turns off.
If I unlock with second FOB I can then use that FOB to open the rear hatch with the sorento started. But I have like 45 seconds to get in a press the start button.
It works from a good distance and I can start it from inside work which is what matters the most.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If that second remote is very small, sort of triangular in shape and has one white start button and one red panic button then it is likely the Kia "factory" remote start:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay folks. Let's clear some things up here about remote starts NOT installed at the factory. I have a side job as an installer at Sound Sensations in Marietta, GA. We are a premiere shop for car audio, alarms, remote starts, and home audio sales and installation. I mention that just to qualify what I'm about to say but I focus on audio, not alarms/remote starts, so I'm not the world's expert on the topic - just exposed more than most.

Almost remote start system installed after the vehicle has been built at the factory will have a visible antenna (unless they work via cell signal or have a hidden antenna design similar to hidden FM antennas, but those are generally super expensive). The one pictured in a previously posted link is very, very common and, placed properly, isn't obstructive or ugly or anything. Eventually you forget about it.

Second, there are usually two main levels of remote starter "grade". One that is just a remote start (with no lock, unlock ability) and one that does have lock, unluck. What Kia has had made is a plug and play sort of unit for the wiring necessary to activate the starter and, if you have a remote with lock/unlock, the locks. What is being installed in your vehicle may have a Kia warranty but it is usually not the same integrated unit that a factory-installed remote start/alarm system. Sometimes they are, but not usually.

If you took your car to my shop, we could install a remote starter with keyless entry. What we'd do is tap and solder (we do not use half-ass T-tap crap or crimp connections) into all the necessary wiring needed to start and open/lock doors. Typically, depending on if your vehicle needs a bypass unit for security (which is a main reason factory remote start systems are integrated - no additional bypass modules needed) and various other factors, pricing can be from $99 to $300. You can buy these parts from Amazon for like $50 total give or take and install it yourself if you can find the right wires.

I'd have to see the remote and/or remote start electronic module to know who likely made the remote start but if Kia is giving you a warranty on it then, awesome. If you want a system that has the remote start and keyless entry on one module, a REPUTABLE car stereo shop can install one for you. Ensure and make them prove to you that they do not use T-taps or cut and crimp wiring and that they instead shave away wire sheathing, properly wrap the add-on/tap wire to the exposed copper, and then solder. There is absolutely NEVER a reason to t-tap or crimp anything but maybe stereo wiring.

Personally... I would never recommend or install a remote start without keyless entry. I'm mad for you that the dealer half-assed using a cheaper unit but indeed what you asked for and negotiated was a remote start.... not a remote start with keyless entry. Dealers will do the bare minimum to accomplish contractual obligation. The absolute minimum!

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Remote keyless entry is standard equipment on all trim levels of Sorento.

Not only does the remote start kit come with the factory warranty, the module has a big Kia logo on it. Given that it is completely plug-and-play with no wire splicing necessary, I would say that even if it is manufactured by some third party, it is being made to meet Kia specifications and not just adapted from an existing aftermarket kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts