Kia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
68 Posts
Right. And as I noted, "Many of the 3.3L GDI have a lot of miles on them now". We're talking 100K+ miles for those that get driven a lot. Remember - this engine was released as the G6DM version by Hyundai in 2012 in the Azera and Cadenza. If Kia/Hyundai were going to have a real problem with this, we'd be hearing about it already. Looks like they were one of the manufacturers that dodged that particular bullet.
That's what I was thinking too. The Sorento has had a 3.3 V6 engine option from before the 2015 re-design. Any stories of issues in these engines caused by Direct Injection? What are the symptoms I should be looking out for anyway?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
The Sorento received the G6DM transplant a couple of years after the Santa Fe.
You wouldn't initially be looking for specific symptoms other than lowered performance and MPG. In the most extreme cases, you'd eventually get hard starting and misfire codes - any symptom that could be caused by a valve that doesn't fully close.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
775 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
873 Posts
You forgot to include Co-op, Costco, Texaco and 4 others. Top Tier Gasoline Brands
Nope last I check they weren't Texaco hasn't been around since before the dinosaurs here!!! LOL Not in Ontario The other two are no name market gas stations. Even Canadian Tire sell non Top Tier Gas. I called and asked them.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
873 Posts
Nope. From everything I've read, it's the recirculated oil vapor that causes most of the problems. Thank the EPA for the wonders of recirculating things back into your intake that you'd never want there, and that DOES get into the engine courtesy of the intake valves (vs. the fuel, which does not).
Ok, that being the case it should be LESS of an issue with a top Synthetic Oil. I have been using synthetic since I got it. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum mostly and the odd Castrol Edge (new improved version last year).

It has to do better than dino oil.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
362 Posts
Ok, that being the case it should be LESS of an issue with a top Synthetic Oil. I have been using synthetic since I got it. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum mostly and the odd Castrol Edge (new improved version last year).

It has to do better than dino oil.
Low Noack (seems to be) what you are looking for, and a dino oil vs synthetic is no guarantee. A discussion here on the debate: Amsoil SS Noack numbers

According to Amsoil, your Pennzoil be be a good choice: AMSOIL Fights Volatility

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
873 Posts
Well its got to be much much better. I am not a fan of Amsoil anyway. Tons of major oil company Synthetic which has to be as good. IMO

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Model S , V6
12 Posts
Okay, I'll show my lack of knowledge about this issue. I have a 2019 Sorento with the 3.3L. Do we need to be concerned with carbon build up on the newer engines like my 2019? If so how would one go about adding the CRC on this version on the 3.3 without compromising the MAF sensor?
Apparently with the newer versions the MAF is located on the intake side of the throttle body, or am I incorrect. Here's
a picture. I believe the MAF is located where the arrow is pointing?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,754 Posts
The more modern approach is to use an MAP in place of the MAF, and the MAP is a small pressure sensor mounted on the intake plenum after the throttle body.

Cant see what device you're pointing to in the above photo.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Model S , V6
12 Posts
The more modern approach is to use an MAP in place of the MAF, and the MAP is a small pressure sensor mounted on the intake plenum after the throttle body.

Cant see what device you're pointing to in the above photo.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,754 Posts
That looks like the MAP sensor, not as sensitive as an MAF and shouldn't be harmed by the CRC.

If you could add the CRC downstream of the MAP it would be better.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,374 Posts
If and when you find out please let us know!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
775 Posts
I don't think you can get downstream of the MAP but don't worry about the MAP, it's a completely different device than the ultra fragile MAF that many cars used/use. In theory, once the air intake has passed by the MAP, you do not want to disturb/lessen it any way so allowing it to create a vacuum could conceivable make a difference in the pressure. But then, I'm going over to a neighbors today to try and properly synchronize the SU's with my uni-syn on his English devil car so my base of knowledge is now considered ancient. :(

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
I'm going over to a neighbors today to try and properly synchronize the SU's with my uni-syn on his English devil car so my base of knowledge is now considered ancient. :(
2 or 3 of them?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts