Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2018 on 5/16/20. Ebony Black.
40 Posts
I have zero engine issues (or any other major problem) with my 2012 Optima SX Turbo...61K miles, but the paint is peeling. Just traded my baby in for the new -- and supper difficult to find here in Long Island, NY -- K5 GT.
The people interested in this sort pf cleaning want it for preventive maintenance so the engine will last far beyond 200,000k miles, even past 300,000k.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,374 Posts
Interesting discussion with my local Master Mechanic this morning.....

I dropped off our Sportage this am for an oil change, oil filter, cabin filter, tire rotation. 12,800 miles - 3rd oil change.
I discussed using the CRC cleaner in the intake system as recommended on the can, and discussions here.
My MM stated not to spray any cleaner into the throttle body on these turbo, direct injected, engines.
He stated the throttle bodies are all electronic and that you don't want to get any type of liquid of any sort into the electronics.
He stated at only 12 K not to perform any type of cleaning service.
I will add the bottle of the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner to the tank after I pick her up from the Service Center.
I put the CRC back on the shelf at home.

Reactions: mccljp and steve807

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2018 on 5/16/20. Ebony Black.
40 Posts
The tubes and instructions will say to disconnect the sensor, or spray past it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Ex
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Interesting discussion with my local Master Mechanic this morning.....

I dropped off our Sportage this am for an oil change, oil filter, cabin filter, tire rotation. 12,800 miles - 3rd oil change.
I discussed using the CRC cleaner in the intake system as recommended on the can, and discussions here.
My MM stated not to spray any cleaner into the throttle body on these turbo, direct injected, engines.
He stated the throttle bodies are all electronic and that you don't want to get any type of liquid of any sort into the electronics.
He stated at only 12 K not to perform any type of cleaning service.
I will add the bottle of the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner to the tank after I pick her up from the Service Center.
I put the CRC back on the shelf at home.
I use the Chevron Techron every oil change. I heard it's a real good product and may help prevent the carbon buildup.

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
326 Posts
I just traded my baby in for the new -- and supper difficult to find here in Long Island, NY -- K5 GT.
Is that the one with the 2.5 turbo engine?

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
775 Posts
I use the Chevron Techron every oil change. I heard it's a real good product and may help prevent the carbon buildup.
Not on the valves it won't because that is the whole problem - fuel never washes past the valves like in non GDI engines. If you use a top tier gasoline, it already has Techron in it and so no need for additional treatments. If not, then a bottle ever couple of fillups will keep the combustion chamber and piston tops clean(er).

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
481 Posts
Have a question here... Is there something different about the turbo throttle body that would leak from the TB opening into the electronics. Or does it have any sensors in the air flow path ?. CRC is injected at 2000 RPM that's a high vacuum through the TB opening any liquid should get sucked directly into the intake. Also normally the TB plate pivot shaft on both sides of the opening is sealed to prevent vacuum leaks or any flow into the position sensor or motor..

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
326 Posts
Techron is not snake oil. But it won't clean the backs of the intake valves, as has been pointed out. It will clean the injectors.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
775 Posts
Snake oil in my opinion.
There was an SAE research paper done probably 25 years ago that came to the conclusion that Techron and BG44K were the only consumer products on the market that made a "noticeable" difference in carbon deposits. Of course, so does SLOWLY injecting water into a running engine - it will blow the carbon off valve faces and piston tops. Seafoam got very low rankings, right up there with STP products. I have no idea about the specialized products like GDI cleaner. Since every major oil company has adopted Techron to make their gasolines "top tier" I suspect there is something more to it than snake oil although almost every consumer product promises way more than it's truly capable of.

I've borescoped any number of engines after Seafoam, Techron and water. Seafoam, in my experience, did nothing, Techron, over time, does work and water will make the most noticeable difference but can be very dangerous to the health of engine if you inject it too fast and create hydrolock. None of these treatments or products will salvage a badly neglected engine - maintenance is truly the key to everything when it comes to longevity.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
421 Posts
I remember when ancient cars (1965 era) were able to buy retrofit 3rd party water injection. My friend installed one but I don't remember what the performance claim was.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,374 Posts
Buick Wildcat came from the factory with H2O injection.
(Now I'm showing my age)
It does increase HP and reduces engine ping or knock. (back in the day)
You would mix it with some alcohol in the winter so the water would not freeze.

Reactions: steve807

·
Registered
2020 Sorento 3.3 AWD
72 Posts
Techron-based cleaners have worked miracles for me, on rough-running cars and even a snowblower. But no, it can't do a thing for GDI-related deposits since it doesn't come into contact with the backside of the valves. Neither can an "Italian tuneup" or most other old-school solutions.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 FWD
15 Posts
Techron-based cleaners have worked miracles for me, on rough-running cars and even a snowblower. But no, it can't do a thing for GDI-related deposits since it doesn't come into contact with the backside of the valves. Neither can an "Italian tuneup" or most other old-school solutions.
Alright, I'll bite :giggle:: What's an "Italian tuneup"? I haven't heard of that one.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 FWD
15 Posts
It's when you wring out the engine.
Oh! Yeah, I guess I'm familiar with that one after all. The first time I did it was without knowing, back in college when I went out for a nightime drive with my new-to-me 1964 Karmann Ghia. I picked out a very dark, long road without traffic lights (back then) and wound it out. I kept seeing some lights out of the corner of my eye in the rear view mirror and after a while I realized they weren't the po-lice, and not aliens, they were glowing things blowing up behind me. It seems I was burning off some crud from the engine and exhaust that had collected over the years. The aging VW motor did seem to run a little smoother after that.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD V6 EX-Sangria with stone beige leather
91 Posts
Alright, I'll bite :giggle:: What's an "Italian tuneup"? I haven't heard of that one.
It's when you red line the engine two or three times while going down the road. I usually use 2nd gear with my Miata,

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
362 Posts
A mechanic friend of mine (who is pretty cheap and does not like to do unnecessary work) advised to do the intake valve cleaner based on what he sees on GDI engines from a few manufacturers. He says the CRC stuff is the way to go.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
30 Posts
A mechanic friend of mine (who is pretty cheap and does not like to do unnecessary work) advised to do the intake valve cleaner based on what he sees on GDI engines from a few manufacturers. He says the CRC stuff is the way to go.
Your mechanic is correct, it basically needs to be done every 10,000 miles. Sugest doing it right before an oil change, so if some of it contaminants the oil no big deal. How to Clean Intake Valves On Hyundai & KIA Engines with CRC GDI IVD® Intake Valve Cleaner - Bing video

41 - 60 of 102 Posts