Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Ex
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Sorento for the 22k oil change/service at my local dealer. They recommended I get the
Carbon Cleaning service. They described it as adding chemicals into the vehicle and running it at high rpm's for a few minutes and it burns away the carbon buildup. They wanted $225 for the service and I declined. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding getting this done or not/is it worth it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
Evidently your dealer's Service Manager had a boat payment due that needed a little boost. Nothing that they can put into the fuel system, even into the fuel rail, will help with any carbon buildup that occurs on the valves -- because you own a GDI engine where the fuel never washes over the back of the valves. Even my favorite concoction for non-GDI engines (BG's 44K) won't touch it.

There may be a day when you need to deal with that issue, but it's not common to need to de-carbon these engines, even though they could by design be a bit prone to it. I wouldn't take any of your dealer's snake oil potions.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,589 Posts
Agree. Don't do it. I would challenge the service manager on how a 22k engine needs special treatment to clean up carbon buildup. I'd be wary if our engines build up carbon so quickly; it would be a pose a fundamental design issue.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
364 Posts
Are they talking about a fuel induction service? If so, I thought they were a good idea to do on these GDI engines?

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
75 Posts
Are they talking about a fuel induction service? If so, I thought they were a good idea to do on these GDI engines?
With that service, the solvent is introduced via an opening to the intake, which DOES send the chemical past the valves, along with the combustion air - right?

It's arguable as far as how much cleaning is accomplished, but this method (induction) does have access to the back of the valves for a short period of time.

For around half that dealer's charge, I've had it done twice on my 77k 2.4L '16 Sorento. Once at 30k and then 60k. I read enough positive things about it and figured "Why not?", esp. if any issues come up later. I can at least tell Kia that I had performed that preventative service, and hope they don't weasel out of their 10 yr/100k warranty.

Video here:
(It's a sales pitch, but it has some decent explanatory graphics)

-SM2016

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
775 Posts
If they are doing a true through the intake carbon cleaning service then it may be a beneficial service but not at that price. Some of us here use the CRC GDI Cleaner which, if you do it on a regular basis, MAY keep the valves clean. If you wait until 100K, it's not going to knock off carbon that has baked on for that long.

Is it necessary? No one knows at this point although carbon buildup is a legitimate issue as engine manufacturers are looking for ways to address it operationally rather than as a service item. For the moment, I'll spend $15 every other oil change to hopefully prevent a problem down the road. Done properly, it can't hurt anything and may well be a big help.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento Ex
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evidently your dealer's Service Manager had a boat payment due that needed a little boost. Nothing that they can put into the fuel system, even into the fuel rail, will help with any carbon buildup that occurs on the valves -- because you own a GDI engine where the fuel never washes over the back of the valves. Even my favorite concoction for non-GDI engines (BG's 44K) won't touch it.

There may be a day when you need to deal with that issue, but it's not common to need to de-carbon these engines, even though they could by design be a bit prone to it. I wouldn't take any of your dealer's snake oil potions.
With that service, the solvent is introduced via an opening to the intake, which DOES send the chemical past the valves, along with the combustion air - right?

It's arguable as far as how much cleaning is accomplished, but this method (induction) does have access to the back of the valves for a short period of time.

For around half that dealer's charge, I've had it done twice on my 77k 2.4L '16 Sorento. Once at 30k and then 60k. I read enough positive things about it and figured "Why not?", esp. if any issues come up later. I can at least tell Kia that I had performed that preventative service, and hope they don't weasel out of their 10 yr/100k warranty.

Video here:
(It's a sales pitch, but it has some decent explanatory graphics)

-SM2016
That's my main concern. Will not getting it done hurt my warranty down the road.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
75 Posts
That's my main concern. Will not getting it done hurt my warranty down the road.
To answer that question, I'd say to read the actual warranty and severe service maintenance portions of your owners manual. I doubt that it will state that the GDI induction service is mandatory - but it will have info about using top-tier gasolines, etc. If you've had the induction maintenance done several times over the first 100k milies, it might be harder for them to use the gas rationale as 'wiggle room' to escape from valve/intake-related issues. That said, $225 is pretty steep for this service, IMHO. You may want to shop around for another garage that can do the same type of cleaning. Always have them explain their methodology too - so that they're not just dumping in a can of "mystery solvent" in the gas tank, and calling it an induction cleaning. Just my .02 worth. ;-)

-SM2016

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used the power foam every 15k miles sprayed directly into intake. I have no issues and vehicle runs like a top. I have no evidence it does anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
364 Posts
To answer that question, I'd say to read the actual warranty and severe service maintenance portions of your owners manual. I doubt that it will state that the GDI induction service is mandatory - but it will have info about using top-tier gasolines, etc. If you've had the induction maintenance done several times over the first 100k milies, it might be harder for them to use the gas rationale as 'wiggle room' to escape from valve/intake-related issues. That said, $225 is pretty steep for this service, IMHO. You may want to shop around for another garage that can do the same type of cleaning. Always have them explain their methodology too - so that they're not just dumping in a can of "mystery solvent" in the gas tank, and calling it an induction cleaning. Just my .02 worth. ;-)

-SM2016
I don't think I'm confident enough to do this service on my own, unless I were to find a pictorial, video, step by step guide for my engine explained very well. I know that you must not get the cleaner on the MAF/sensors, so I'm unsure that I could pull that off. The CRC cleaner is available in my area for cheap, just not convinced I could pull it off without seeing someone else do it.

The most complicated thing I have done with my car is replace bulbs, air filters (engine and cabin), wipers, and fuses. I don't know enough to be able to determine where sensors are, etc.

edit: I assume this is identical to my 2020 model?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,374 Posts
Here is a photo of the CRC product: I will be using it at 12K miles within the next week, prior to an oil change.

Reactions: joemsj51

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
754 Posts
CRC works, used it. Unclip engine air filter box top, loosen screw connecting it to intake hose and remove plastic part, use a stick propped between gas pedal and driver seat to keep RPMs at 2500 and spray CRC into intake in bursts as per instruction on the can, put things back together and let it sit for an hour, go for a drive where you can rev engine up a bit.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
482 Posts
I do not have any later year Sorento manuals.. Have they added a MAF back into the Sorento's ? My 2015 does not use a Mass Air Flow fueling, they use Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP/vacuum) driven logic for fueling. You are correct if they do have a MAF it would be somewhere between the air filter and the TB, so spraying directly into the TB would not touch the MAF.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD V6 EX-Sangria with stone beige leather
91 Posts
My last 3 vehicles have been GDI (since 2011) and I have never done anything special to them and I have had no issues of any kind and it has been 150,000+ miles. I think the treatments are as effective as blinker fluid and similar things.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
My last 3 vehicles have been GDI (since 2011) and I have never done anything special to them and I have had no issues of any kind and it has been 150,000+ miles. I think the treatments are as effective as blinker fluid and similar things.

All-3 have been Korean GDIs?.... or just the Sorrento? Is that Sorrento engine a four cylinder?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Anyone remember the crushed walnuts cleaner BMW used to advertise to keep their GDI's clean?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,374 Posts
I am assuming your 19 is simular to my 20, do you mind me asking where you are accessing the intake system to get behind the MAF sensor?
I'm going to pop the beauty cover; then as close to the turbo as possible disconnect the air inlet. If that does not suffice I will try to blast it thru the PCV hose leading from the cam cover. I'll try to take a photo or two and post later in the week. Planning on doing this at my local garage, just prior to a seasonal oil change, tire rotate, and cabin filter. I'm currently at 12K miles.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts