Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2011 Kia Sportage with 20000km. I hadn't driven it for 2 weeks and when I went out after that time, there wasn't a single spark left in the battery. Not even the keyless entry would work. When I purchased the vehicle, I had the Diamond Kote Rust Inhibitor installed. After I had it jump started I took it to my Kia Dealership and they checked out the vehicle but found no reason why the battery failed from 14 days without being used. Do you have any suggestions or have heard of other Sportage users with a similar problem?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento, 2015 Honda Pilot. 2004 Honda Element, 2013 Triumph Speedmaster
31 Posts
That does sound odd. Did the dealer check the battery to see if it can still hold a charge? I had a fairly new battery (not on my Kia) where one cell for some reason went bad, so I had to replace it. If it's not the battery that is the problem, there is something that is drawing power to make it go dead.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Batteries sometimes fail before their time, and there can be numerous other reasons for it going dead. One common problem is corrosion taking place under the terminal clamps. The first thing I do in a case like that is remove the terminals one at a time and see if they're corroded. If so, clean/lube and you sometimes will start up and drive away. If they're clean, either the battery failed, did not get adequate charge or the vehicle has a current drain. Since I have a 2/10 amp charger, I would see if it will charge up enough to start. If so, then I drive to a dealer (with a car under warranty) or an auto parts store for a charging system check. If it won't take a charge, the battery will have to be replaced.
Another fairly common problem is a loose cable or loose/corroded ground connection(s). I imagine they use salt on the roads in NS, and cars there or other such areas require special care for corrosion. Since you had the anti-corrosion treatment done, you already know this.
I'm left with the feeling that they charged it up and you drove home, so all you can do is use it and take note of any symptoms developing such as slow starter RPM, dim lights, etc. There is only one thing for sure; if it did it once, and there was no corrective action, it will do it again, and at the worst possible time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts