Kia Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
We went through 4 batteries in less than 4 years and constantly charging it. Our dealership had it for 5 days and couldn't figured it out only find the battery not capable of holding the charge anymore, hence the 4th battery. One week later the new battery on our sedona was dead. My husband took it in...again... and they tested it again. This time they found what had been draining our battery.. THE RADIO HAD A SHORT IN IT. I had told them that we had noticed that the radio ran extremely hot after a short while of having it on... (less than 2 cd's playing). Needless to say they disconnected the radio and we are waiting for an new one.... I'm not sure if the warranty covers it due to the fact that this obviously looks like a defected radio out of the manufacturer's warehouse or someone didn't installed it right. I will be contacting them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2004 Kia Amanti that has a battery draw of 12.68 volts i have gone threw and pulled all the fuses and all the relays without any luck.......does anyone have any new ideas? could it be the main computer or somthing like that ?
all the grounds seem good and all tight the alt is putting out 14.8 volts as it should be the trunk light has been disconnected as well as the glove box light.
the dome lights have been disabled as well but still i get a draw the factory C/D player has been unpluged as well as it was staying on all the time as a C/D was stuck in it .....PLEASE anyone give me some hints

·
Registered
1 Posts
kia sedona battery drain

An update to other posts. I have a 2008 Kia Sedona that just passed 60,000mi. No joke, the starter went out before 61,000mi and immediately after that, the van started to have a parasitic battery drain. At first, thought the battery was bad. Tested it twice, both times it tested well (it was less than 1yr old). So I called Kia to see if there was a recall or known problem. Resounding "no". Then took it back to the place that installed the starter to make sure they didn't directly hook up to the battery instead of the cut-off switch. Starter was fine and, by the way, neither place could reproduce the battery drain.

So, off to Kia again. This time, I specifically asked about the software upgrade. They acknowledged the upgrade but said it was ONLY for vans with the power tailgate, mine is manual. They also hooked up the battery to an amp-meter and couldn't reproduce the power draw, so the problem isn't starting within 20 min of me turning off the vehicle.

Here's my status:
- if I pull the courtesy fuse sleeve (the same fuse mentioned in other posts), it stops the problem. I can leave the van sitting for a week without affecting the battery. Otherwise it is dead within 3 days. So I know the problem is limited to those circuits.
- Kia is willing to troubleshoot, but it costs by the hour to diagnose with no idea how long it will take
- Other shops have an electrical diagnostic for around $100, or I can try to sit in the locked car with a book and a meter hooked up to each circuit (starting with the main courtesy circuit to see how long it takes for the problem to start), until I can diagnose where (and when) the problem occurs.

All items in the van are OEM (no aftermarket), and a few mechanics have mentioned that radio's are a common culprit, so I could disconnect the radio instead of pulling the courtesy fuse circuit and see if that works (it will be a yes/no final answer for that, which will find the problem or eliminate the radio as the culprit).
Don't know if this helps anyone else, but this is what I found out.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,877 Posts
Yes. I can leave the van for 2 weeks or more and the battery won't die anymore.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts