Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a problem with my Kia Spectra 2007 battery. It's dead whenever the car was parked for more than 2 days. I bought this used car last year at Mazda dealership with new Mazda battery. I guess they've replaced the battery after having it dead several times but this is not a battery problem. I've recently had it tested at Kia service department and they found a parasitic current draw while the battery itself is fine. They have just replaced BCM (body control module) under the warranty but it looks like this is not an issue because the battery is about 50% empty again after overnight parking in my garage with all lights off.
Can anybody help to fix this problem? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
First I would determine what current is being drawn from the battery. Just close all the doors, like you do it all the time, lock the car but leave the hood open. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and connect it through universal volt/amp meter. Switch the meter to 10A DC position. This should give you reading of how much you are loosing.
Then, let it stay connected like it is and have someone else looking on the reading while you will be removing fuses. One by one and check when the current drops.
Remember that you can have two or more fuses boxes!

Once you find what is the problem, let me know.

EDIT:
I would start with the alarm (if equipped) and radio. Then I would move to other, probably not lights, those you can remove at the beginning also.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
Any aftermarket equipment on the car? Most of the problems I have seen like this are caused by kids installing stereo equipment
Good point.

KiaSpectra2007, Look for extra cables coming from the positive terminal of the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your comments. I guess all of these steps have been done by Kia mechanic and they've thought its nothing but BCM (?). It looks like I need to do these readings myself (will need to buy an amp meter). I've never done that before. I just thought there could be something typical for KIA Spectra to cause these current drain.

First I would determine what current is being drawn from the battery. Just close all the doors, like you do it all the time, lock the car but leave the hood open. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and connect it through universal volt/amp meter. Switch the meter to 10A DC position. This should give you reading of how much you are loosing.
Then, let it stay connected like it is and have someone else looking on the reading while you will be removing fuses. One by one and check when the current drops.
Remember that you can have two or more fuses boxes!

Once you find what is the problem, let me know.

EDIT:
I would start with the alarm (if equipped) and radio. Then I would move to other, probably not lights, those you can remove at the beginning also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for this point. There is no aftermarket equipment installed. Only original radio and CD player.
No extra cables coming from the positive terminal of the battery.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
I guess all of these steps have been done by Kia mechanic and they've thought its nothing but BCM (?). It looks like I need to do these readings myself
You think the car should not have any problems....
My experience proved that mechanics look for an easy way. Replacement of PCM, BCM, or ECU or anything else is easy. They would not bother playing with fuses. OK, maybe not all of them, but 95%.

I have had several cars. In three of them I had some weird problems. With two I was going back and forth from one dealer to another to find the problem. Of course they did not.

Then I decided to check it by myself. It took me 10 minutes plus 15 minutes of reading. I just followed a procedure, step by step and the problem was solved.

OK, I am not saying "do not trust them" but you have to be careful. As long as you have warranty and all repairs are covered - do not worry.

Regardless warranty I would check it by myself and then go to a dealer and tell them to find it. Once they are done, ask what it was and if they found it - great, if they did not - tell them to look again, but this time give them hint :)

·
Registered
2010 Forte' EX 5-speed White/chocolate interior & sunroof
55 Posts
One of my co-workers just had this problem with her Dodge Neon.
It turned out to be a faulty trunk light switch.
This after she replace her battery and then was told to replace her alternater by AutoZone.
The third mechanic she took it to found the faulty switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having the same problem. I kind of know HOW it's being drained, but I don't know how to stop it.

If you have the headlights ON when turn off the ignition switch, and leave it in that position, this is where the trouble starts. If anyone opens one of the doors, after the key has been removed, the battery drains.

A non-Kia owner that I am friends with, claims that this is a feature that is supposed to activate the headlights for a short period of time in order to unlock your front door or whatnot. Problem is, the headlights never come on, otherwise I would SEE them and reach back in and turn off the switch to preserve my battery.

But every single time that my car has sat for a couple of days, and the light switch was on and someone opened one of the doors to get an item out, the result is always the same. Dead Battery.

As a side note, when I open the driver door, I can immediately tell if this has happened because there is a faint clicking noise and all the dash lights are dim.

If this is a "feature" Kia needs to make sure it can be disabled by the owner. I would love to know how to turn this OFF!! I would rather stumble around in the dark than wake up to a dead battery and jumper cables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been having the same problem. I kind of know HOW it's being drained, but I don't know how to stop it.

If you have the headlights ON when turn off the ignition switch, and leave it in that position, this is where the trouble starts. If anyone opens one of the doors, after the key has been removed, the battery drains.

A non-Kia owner that I am friends with, claims that this is a feature that is supposed to activate the headlights for a short period of time in order to unlock your front door or whatnot. Problem is, the headlights never come on, otherwise I would SEE them and reach back in and turn off the switch to preserve my battery.

But every single time that my car has sat for a couple of days, and the light switch was on and someone opened one of the doors to get an item out, the result is always the same. Dead Battery.

As a side note, when I open the driver door, I can immediately tell if this has happened because there is a faint clicking noise and all the dash lights are dim.

If this is a "feature" Kia needs to make sure it can be disabled by the owner. I would love to know how to turn this OFF!! I would rather stumble around in the dark than wake up to a dead battery and jumper cables.
My 08 Spectra5 is at the dealer right now because of this.

They replaced the BCM once and it didn't help. There's a TSB (KT2008082202) on the kiatechinfo site. The dealer replaced the BCM per the TSB but the problem persists.

Regardless, this is really aggravating. It's very strange because the lights will turn off after a few seconds but at some point during the night they will turn back on and when I go out to leave for work I'm greeted with either a stone dead battery, or the lights/parking lights on with usually the battery drained enough that it won't start. So then I have to push the POS Kia out of the way and drive my reliable Jeep (14 years old with 100k+ miles on it).

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
Regardless, this is really aggravating. It's very strange because the lights will turn off after a few seconds but at some point during the night they will turn back on and when I go out to leave for work I'm greeted with either a stone dead battery, or the lights/parking lights on with usually the battery drained enough that it won't start. So then I have to push the POS Kia out of the way and drive my reliable Jeep (14 years old with 100k+ miles on it).

I know the solution. Turn them OFF.
Is there any reason you leave them ON? It will only decrease lifetime of battery, alternator, headlights bulbs and so on.
You are not supposed to heave anything on while cranking engine.

I know that this should work like it supposed to, but so far remember to turn the lights off every time you turn off ignition

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know the solution. Turn them OFF.
Is there any reason you leave them ON? It will only decrease lifetime of battery, alternator, headlights bulbs and so on.
You are not supposed to heave anything on while cranking engine.

I know that this should work like it supposed to, but so far remember to turn the lights off every time you turn off ignition
I leave them on because it's a feature that is supposed to work. (This is the second feature that doesn't work properly in this car. The first being the AUX port's alternator whine.) The auto light feature works fine in our other vehicle that has it.

Also, if it worked properly the battery, alternator, etc, would see no more use than turning them off manually. As soon as I remove the key and open the door to get out the lights go off. Unfortunately they sometime go back on hours later.

Honestly I've grown to really dislike this car and hope the dealership can't fix it so I can pursue a lemon law refund.

·
Registered
Kia Sedona EX 2008
10 Posts
!!GOOD NEWS FOR SEDONA OWNERS AND DEAD BATTERIES!!

I owned a Silver 2007 Sedona EX which the battery died on ALOT of times. It had several recalls I took it in for to upgrade various things and figured they may have drilled into a wiring harness
or had a sheet metal screw or wiring bundle chaffing problem.

Regardless, I decided to traded it in to buy a new BLUE Sedona 2010 EX and it did the SAME DANG thing!!!!

Finally took it in last week after owning it for 8 months, going through 3 batteries and jumpering the van at least 20+ times.
I thought of ALL of the above issues. Lights, accessories etc.

NEWS FLASH:

NONE of the prior posting were EVER the issue.
THE ISSUE IS WITH THE ON BOARD COMPUTERS NOT GOING TO SLEEP AND STAYING FULL ON.
THEY STAY ON IN SOME CASES WHICH RUNS THE BATTERY DOWN NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY OR ABSENT MINDED.

SOLUTION:
RUN, DON'T WALK AND GET THE DEALER TO UPGRADE THE COMPUTER SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE FOR YOUR VAN.
KIA JUST CAME OUT WITH A SOFTWARE UPGRADE.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Tim Reyburn,
Laurel, MD

·
Registered
Kia Sedona EX 2008
10 Posts

I owned a Silver 2007 Sedona EX which the battery died on ALOT of times. It had several recalls I took it in for to upgrade various things and figured they may have drilled into a wiring harness

Regardless, I decided to traded it in to buy a new BLUE Sedona 2010 EX and it did the SAME DANG thing!!!!

Finally took it in last week after owning it for 8 months, going through 3 batteries and jumpering the van at least 20+ times.

NEWS FLASH:

THE ISSUE IS WITH THE ON BOARD COMPUTERS NOT GOING TO SLEEP AND STAYING FULL ON.
THEY STAY ON IN SOME CASES WHICH RUNS THE BATTERY DOWN NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY OR ABSENT MINDED.

SOLUTION:
RUN, DON'T WALK AND GET THE DEALER TO UPGRADE THE COMPUTER SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE FOR YOUR VAN.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Tim Reyburn,
Laurel, MD

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is about Kia Spectra 2007 and other Kia models wherein the battery voltage drops below the level that will start motor when car sits idle for two or more days. This happened to me twice. A 10-amp charger connected to the battery for a minute or two was enough to start the car. So no big problem but a question remained. Why? Some have said that this is caused by the onboard computer not going to sleep when ignition is off. Software update by the dealer is the fix.

But I found another reason why the battery goes dead when the car is parked for two or more days. There is a gizmo called the MEMORY FUSE in the fuse block on the driver's side. According to the Kia Manual, pulling up this fuse will prevent battery discharge if the vehicle is parked for prolonged periods. Anything more than overnight is apparently a "prolonged period" to the Kia people.

The Kia Manual says to use the following procedures before parking the vehicle for a prolonged period (more than overnight):

1) Turn off engine 2) turn off the headlights and tail-lights 3) open the driver-side knee bolster cover and pull up the "ROOM 15A" fuse but don't try to remove it completely. With this fuse pulled up the warning chime, audio, clock, and interior lamps, etc. will not operate. But the rest of the car's electrical will work.

I left the car sitting idle for three days recently with the memory fuse pulled up, and the battery voltage was 12 volts after the third day. I let it sit for one more day. After four days of the car sitting idle with the ROOM 15A fuse pulled up as described in the owner's manual, the battery started the car right up with no problem!

·
Registered
Kia Sedona EX 2008
10 Posts
It is a technical service bulletin for the software issue.
The engine computer stays on. Not parasitic draw, not the fuse issue,
it is a software issue.
You can pull the main bus plug once a day or get the software upgraded for your van.
Your choice.
No brainer for me...the software upgrade fixed the problem.

Period. End of story.

·
Registered
2005 Spectra/Cerato
64 Posts
Well glad that's figured out...more or less. I was not aware of the software upgrade. If anything I would have simply checked the alternator if it was going bad by doing the test (disconnect the battery while it's running.

·
Registered
4 Posts

NEWS FLASH:

SOLUTION:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Tim Reyburn,
Laurel, MD
Thanks for the post Tim. Do you (or anyone else reading this) know the Kia TSB number for this issue or know where it is referenced on kiatechinfo.com? I'm having the same issue on my 2010 Sedona and I would like to go to the dealership with this info so they know right away what I'm talking about. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts

NEWS FLASH:

SOLUTION:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Tim Reyburn,
Laurel, MD
Did the computer software upgrade change things? Is there a recall for this or is this an out of pocket expense. We have a 2009 that we bought in 2010.... having the exact same issue and have gone through three batteries.... and still charging the battering 2 to 3 times a week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts