Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 rondo,gone , 2001 olds aurora gone, 2014 Sorento EX awaiting delivery, Finally delivered!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do to the covid 19 pandemic l found it necessary to fly home to Toronto from my winter home in Florida back in Feb. Anticipating my return to pick up the car l had a neighbour try to start it. He reported the battery was dead and it was started with a boost but after driving it around for a short time he parked it, shut it off and found it would not start again without a boost.
It is the original battery ,2014 purchased late 2013, so l am thinking it is just the battery (not too bad 7 years) as l had never had any issues prior and it has been sitting out for 4 months.
My concern is that it has been sitting in a discharged state and l am wondering what ,and how may need to be reset upon the installation of a new battery for it to have all systems up and running for my return drive home?
Thanks

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
583 Posts
I don't know. I've used a booster pack across the cable before disconnecting (careful it doesn't short while replacing it). But the info is likely lost if the battery is truely dead without any signs of life. A short drive will not charge a battery that dead. A charger on it is the only way. A long drive from one end of the state to the other won't fully charge it either.
The battery is past its life anyway now. Get one that the store had topped up the charge on before picking it up. They're around 1/2 charged on the shelf if you test it.

·
Registered
2008 rondo,gone , 2001 olds aurora gone, 2014 Sorento EX awaiting delivery, Finally delivered!
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Tripplec but the battery is totally dead so l would be just swapping it out for a new one but would like to know as l had stated what and how l would have to reset all the electronics if they do indeed need resetting, cruise control, radio, AC etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Tripplec but the battery is totally dead so l would be just swapping it out for a new one but would like to know as l had stated what and how l would have to reset all the electronics if they do indeed need resetting, cruise control, radio, AC etc.
This question may better be answered by a factory mechanic and am sure we have a few on the board.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
289 Posts
I'm betting on just loosing your radio preset stations. Just about all the important things are stored in flash memory. Not sure about navagation destinations (if you have that) nor phone contact lists (if you have them). Do us a favor and let us know how you make out, in case any future posters that ask the same question. The PCM will reset and then re-learn driving and emissions ready indicators, so don't plan on any immediate emission inspections fo a few days of driving.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
583 Posts
As again as its dead. All that can be lot mentioned by BOBDEC is likely all that will be needed to reprogramming. Any computer learning will likely happen automatically as you drive it with the new battery. If there was anything specific it should be mentioned the owners manual for replacements. Dealer, maybe aware of odd unique situations.

Replace it and go from there. If you're doing it be 500% sure the +ve is connected to the +ve cable. That is the biggest danger in replacing batteries especially not buying the correct one. The +ve post is on the opposite side. Seller have group chart but you can look up as well by google for a resource for that from a reputable source and/or find more than one to verify. Assume nothing, as you get one shot at it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys..Red to Red Black to Black hard to screw up on colours. It is just l do not want to mess up a $2K computer!
Phone contact and radio presents ?(l never did figure out how to do presets on the kia radio so just scanned) no problems.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
583 Posts
Battery does NOT have a colour mark RED etc. Yeah the other side is Black but. A raised + symbol by the post and a - symbol by the other post. In a hurry plenty of people have done it wrong. Especially when using a battery from another vehicle. Typically the battery needs to be disconnected at least 15 to 20 min before anything is lost in memory other than radio settings. You're not going to distroy anything with a longer swap time. If zero voltage or near its already done gone anyway.

Locate the plus (+) on the new battery, then on the old one. The must be on the same size otherwise you got the wrong Group number and the battery cables will NOT reach even swapping it all around. Unbolt the mount hold down bracket first. Its on the bottom lip of one of the long side. It will take the longest to get out.

A post cleaner should be run through the battery cable lug to clean it shinny as possible before placing on the battery. + ve post first then and only double check the other side does say -ve there on the battery before putting the black battery cable on it. Otherwise you've blown shit right away on contact. Tighten up both side such that neither can be twisted by hand. (Lugs on the cable need to be slid right down the post as far as they can go, otherwise you won't have enough compression to tighten to. I put a big socket over the post such that its on the lug and give it a few taps with a heavy wrench of such. Don't hit it like driving a nail, few taps and you'll see it drop down if needed. Once done, well you can start it up. Leave it run at least 10-15min. Remember the battery is no fully charge and everytime you restart you're sucking a lot of current out the battery that takes a long time to put back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your excellent description of how to replace the battery. Being of an age where l use to replace generators and regulators l have swapped out my share of batteries. The specific information l was seeking was to do with the memory of any accessory that may have been lost during a long state of discharge. I believe the required battery is a 124R.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
583 Posts
Yeah, well the radio and other accessories would have lost the presets so a non issue. If it wasn't the case is the main reason I use a booster pack before pulling the cables, carefully. It doesn't have to be in great shape. It only keeping the electronics power from loosing memory. Once the new battery is in and making contact I can remove it. I tighten up after. Normally I am prepared and do it in the Walmart parking lot so I can go right back in for the old battery return fee. I loosen and or remove the securing bolt first and have the other wrenches needed with me. Then its quick in the lot to do. Not rushing but one step at a time. I don't loose the preset nor ECU memory learned this way. What can change depends on the manufacture and vintage on the design. Security alarm likely trip though so you better be ready to kill the noise at least. Whether or not that would also prevent the vehicle for starting, maybe but need checked in advance. A booster pack removes all those maybe's from occurring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really don't think connecting the power pac at this point would be of use as the overhead interior lites are not even working. You should be able to do a quick in and out without one though as long as you know what you are doing and quick with the swap . But l do hear what you are saying and thank you.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
478 Posts
Reading this 3 days late...but it makes me signal this: computer keeps draining battery slowly but surely. I do not know exactly for this one but I had measured something like 20 milliamps on another car years ago. Now if the car is parked for months, this is enough to run the battery flat: 0.020A x 24hours x 150 days = 72Ah...which is in the vicinity of the total capacity of an average good battery....leading to the requirement to recharge the battery, to be sure, at least every 3 months.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reading this 3 days late...but it makes me signal this: computer keeps draining battery slowly but surely. I do not know exactly for this one but I had measured something like 20 milliamps on another car years ago. Now if the car is parked for months, this is enough to run the battery flat: 0.020A x 24hours x 150 days = 72Ah...which is in the vicinity of the total capacity of an average good battery....leading to the requirement to recharge the battery, to be sure, at least every 3 months.
Excellent information! This may be a contributing factor but l am guessing that the 7 year old battery is the fault. Thank you.

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
271 Posts
I'd say it's a combination of old battery and trickle drain from the electronics. You're lucky to get more than 5 years out of a battery (sometimes even lucky to get 5).

My '14 Cadenza had its original battery until just a few months ago, so it lasted 6 years. I had no indication that it was going bad. One morning I pressed the Start button and it did a series of clicks then stopped. It sounded like the starter solenoid engaging but never turning the starter. I initially thought it might have been the starter going bad, but my boss advised it was likely just the battery. Swapped for a new one and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
583 Posts
Many vehicles have a STORAGE SHUNT for standby electrical. Which when pulled and put in the storage position removes the drain if its an issue for a very long time. Typically its in the inside power fuse box of all vehicles I know of. It maybe mentioned in the owners manual. You can ask you dealer about this and what ramification of using it so there are no surprises. They may point it out if you drop by when they're not at peak client business. A small battery condition/maintainer charger is the other solutioin which needs to be 1A min but no need to be above 2A. Noco Genius G1100 is a very good solution and will not over charge not gas your battery. You should find it on sale often. In the US you can buy direct from them as well.

PS: I don't recommend the G3500 which I also have. I have had a lot of trouble with that one. Its not needed anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts