Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my girlfriends 98 Sportage (AT) died on her way to work yesterday.
Since the only thing 'recent' that I have done is to install a remote start unit, I carefully checked all the wiring to check that nothing had grounded out, gotten cut or came apart.
All checked out good.
All ignition wires are powered, car cranks over, will not start.

First thing I checked is that the Tbelt had not broken. pulled back cover and cranked, spins around nice, and is tight.

I pulled out plugs individually and cranked over and grounded to VC. All have spark.

I tested fuel pump at diagnostic connector and can hear the fuel pump running. Pulled fuel pressure regulator and jumped and fuel started flowing, so I would assume there are no obstructions.

I did a compression check, all were pretty even around 160PSI.

I read of a recall on a connector C123/C124, took them apart (what a pain to get at BTW) cleaned the contacts as well as I could and put them back together.
checked voltages on the TPS to make sure it didnt get stuck in WOT.

I have a palm OBD2 logger, but for some reason I have never been able to get it to work on this Kia, so I don't have the ability to view what the computer is seeing as far as voltages.

Does anybody have any other ideas on what I should check? Anything at all!?
At this point I am running low on ideas and I am used to being able to fix my own vehicles... but this one is trying to prove me wrong.

-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I had tested the fuel pump by jumping the B+ and fuel pump pins on the diagnostic connector.
I now have read that the fuel pump pin should have +12V for 2 seconds when the key is first turned to the ON position (not cranking). I have no voltage at the FP pin while doing this.
Testing at the FP fuse, while cranking, I see ~9V.
Also, the FP relay does not click when the key is turned on. I tried another relay and it still did not click.

Time to diagnose the fuel pump relay I guess

-Chris

·
Registered
349 Posts
You are on the right track. The fuel pump should have +12 volts applied for a few seconds while the key is "ON" to spool it up the pressure. And then shut off if the key isn't turned to start.

If you want that section of the electrical manual send me an e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after some more voltage testing, I found that the fuel pump relay only clicks on about 1/4 second after you start cranking the engine.
It does not click when the key is first turned to ON.
I tried 2 other relays and all do the same thing.

I traced the wires back to the ECM and checked for continuity from there to the relay coil side and it came back with 0.0 ohms, so all should be good there.

Could this possibly be a faulty ECM? I have checked all major wires and they all seem to come up fine...

At the fuel pump fuse in the car, I see 9V upon cranking, I would assume this should be at 12V?

I now seem to have 12V to the green wire powering the fuel injectors, I really have no way to test if they are actually firing however.

-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I decided to look at the timing belt a little more.
I have the top cover off (what a pain, what was Kia thinking having to take all of this off just to change a tbelt)

Anyways, once I got the top cover off, I found that there is approx 1 inch of total play on the belt!
Now I know on my car, the Tbelt is meant to be very tight, so I am thinking the car might have jumped a few teeth. I dont have the socket I need to turn the crank yet, but I will go and pick one up. Then I will be able to see if the timing marks line up or not.
[edit] After taking off crankshaft pulley, I see that the timing belt has jumped 6 teeth!. the I&E marks pretty much line up with each other, but come nowhere close to the crank timing mark... well I guess this could explain why it wont start ;) [edit]

I guess while I am in here, the car is at 70K, might as well change the belt and tensioner.

-Chris

PS.. Axeman, Could you please send me the electrical diagrams to [email protected] , I would really appreciate it. I had sent you an email the other day, not sure if you had gotten it or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it seems like I am mostly talking to myself, but I found the answer!
It was the timing belt. The fuel pump relay still does not click on with the key even after cleaning all contacts, it only clicks on during cranking.
The car however now starts and runs just fine.

I found a place that actually had the belt in stock and replaced it, got everything all tightened up and cranked it over :)

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts