Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Picanto 2012
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :)
I'm a happy owner of a Kia Picanto, bought 2 months ago, and i really made a great choice.
My major problem yet, is the DRLs, my Pica has its LED lights, and AUTO lighting, the only problem, is that LED are lighting only if i turn ON the lights; so if i turn light to AUTO, at daytime, instead of having the DRL LED working, lights turn ON, only if i drive in a dark place, or at night.
I usually turn lights to first position, so i can have only LED working, but then, i have back lights ON too...
I checked the fuse, and its fine, i even changed it, still no DRL. All fuses seem to be new, and fine.
Can someone please tell/show me how to activate the DRL on the new Picanto :rolleyes:
I already checked everywhere on the web, and no useful insures :(
I think there's a hidden menu :confused:

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
what year it is? what is your location?
some cars come with DRL some do not - it depends on country and sometimes on trim level.
Now, in some cases, such as automatic transmission, DRL is inactive when in Parking position.

I would begin with your owners manual...

·
Registered
Kia Picanto 2012
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what year it is? what is your location?
some cars come with DRL some do not - it depends on country and sometimes on trim level.
Now, in some cases, such as automatic transmission, DRL is inactive when in Parking position.

I would begin with your owners manual...
Hello PLP, and thanks for the answer.
I bought my Picanto, 2 months ago, from the official Kia dealer in Tunisia, (North Africa).
I then assume that my Picanto is 2012.
In Tunisia, all Picanto i sow around are with LED position lights, but no DRL, that means that those i see running LED at daytime, they have there back light ON too, that means that they turn on the lights on first position.
Other car companies that sell in Tunisia cars with DLR, have everything OK with it. I think then, that Tunisia doesn't "forbid" DRL.
And yes, I have automatic transmission and it doesn't affect the DRL.
I think that Picanto sold in Tunisia come without DRL then, so, i wanna know if there's a hack, or a hidden menu to activate it.
Thank you very much, for the help, i really love the Picanto DRL, and need to see it in my little Pica.

PS: Sorry for my english

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
I would refer you to KGIS (kia tech info), but Pica is not offered in the USA (it is too small for some passengers here, if you know what I mean. Besides American would not drive a car with 0.9L, inline 3).
Anyway, I can't tell you anything more that check the wires providing power to LED. Measure power (voltage and current). Then, see how intense they are. It might be that those LED have never been designed to act as DRL as they are not intense enough. I guess, with some modifications, you could get them activated when car started and shifted from P. I run mine like that (but this is a separate LED DRL system).

So, if you see any Pica's with DRL more intense than yours and they are exactly same, then it is possible that if you supply more power to them they will act as DRL. Otherwise they will act as position lights only.

If they can be DRL - you may split wires, add a relay that would be triggered by a switch on the gear selector (inside the car - there could be - as in mine - a switch that simply opens or closes ground when you shift to and from P). Get negative from there to relay which will be activated (powerwise) when fuel pump is running. This way you get them activated only when driving (not in P) and only when engine is running (fuel pump).

It may require some "one way current diode" (I do not know how they are called in English) to not feed back power from LED to the car (computer/ECU/BCM).

I hope it makes sense.

·
Registered
Ford Focus Y2001 + KIA Picanto Y2012
5 Posts
Hi,

I've the same car and leaving the switch to OFF , the DRL are ON (as soon as you turn ingition key), while turning 1st position the DRL light cuts almost 50% and the rear lights are turned on.

Maybe there's different setup for Italy and your country

Andrea

·
Registered
Kia Picanto 2012
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, and thanks again for your support :)
I think that you are right, and KIA Picanto sold in Tunisia doesn't support DRL.
I can see in the plug that rely wires to the lighting system doesn't contain all pin and cables that it can handle, i suppose that the missing cable, is the DRL cable.
(i hope i got my self clear, and i'l gonna give you a link for a picture, may be it will help you understand: http://cs303112.userapi.com/v303112138/50be/fmRL10tL3yE.jpg
http://cs303112.userapi.com/v303112138/50b4/k0Tp-vtkAFU.jpg )

I think i'm gonna take the car to a professional electric, that will understand easily how to rely LED to the battery, through the existing fuse.
if i could find a clear schema, i would do it my self, but at the same time, i would give it to a professional, that will understand how, and what to do.
thanks again :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!!

Did you got this solved? I have a 2012 Picanto too, bought here in Brazil and I have the same issue. The guy form the Kia Dealer told me that the 2012 Picanto in Brasil don't have the DRL function ennable, only the 2013 model.

Hello, and thanks again for your support :)
I think that you are right, and KIA Picanto sold in Tunisia doesn't support DRL.
I can see in the plug that rely wires to the lighting system doesn't contain all pin and cables that it can handle, i suppose that the missing cable, is the DRL cable.
(i hope i got my self clear, and i'l gonna give you a link for a picture, may be it will help you understand: http://cs303112.userapi.com/v303112138/50be/fmRL10tL3yE.jpg
http://cs303112.userapi.com/v303112138/50b4/k0Tp-vtkAFU.jpg )

I think i'm gonna take the car to a professional electric, that will understand easily how to rely LED to the battery, through the existing fuse.
if i could find a clear schema, i would do it my self, but at the same time, i would give it to a professional, that will understand how, and what to do.
thanks again :)

·
Registered
Kia Picanto 2012
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi!!

Did you got this solved? I have a 2012 Picanto too, bought here in Brazil and I have the same issue. The guy form the Kia Dealer told me that the 2012 Picanto in Brasil don't have the DRL function ennable, only the 2013 model.
H!!
Well, you are right, Picas delivered in 2012 here too have the same issue: no DRLs, on 2013.
So i managed to find the wire that connects to the LEDs, and i connected it directly to a source of electricity, this way, as soon as i put the key in the first position, the LED are ON.
It works fine, except one problem: when there's no light, at night, and the i open my car, usually, i get the head lights and the LED ON, now, after my small tuning, when i open my car in a dark place, i have only the head lights ON, with no LED. It's not that big problem, but i would prefer only LEDs on when i open my car in the dark though.
Anyway, that's my case, and i would love to hear from anyone else, how you guys deal with that.

Have fan :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts