Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXV6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here on the Kia forum (newbie to Kia too). I call myself as having looked pretty thoroughly through this forum and other internet sources for an answer before joining you folks in order to pose my question.

I have a 2019 Sorento SXV6 just bought a month ago. Aren't the DRL's on the Sorento supposed to come on when the light switch is in the AUTO position during daylight hours? Mine only come on when the light switch is in the HEADLAMP position and stay on solid day & night. Although during daylight hours the headlights don't come on in the HEADLAMP position, the side front side marker and the tail lights come on along with the DRL and stay on full time. All other vehicles I've had turned the DRL on when the car cranks and the light switch is in AUTO without side or tail lights burning. This just doesn't make sense to me.

I swear I've read the owners manual umpteen times and the way I read it the DRL should work as I think, so it's probably my age, my dyslexia or copious amounts of Buffalo Trace that's keeping me confused but any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
The headlight position turns everything on.
AFAIK Sorentos in the US do not have DRL's. My 2019 EX does not and my 2016 SX did not.
I don't know if the higher trim level got them in 2019

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
The headlight position turns everything on.
AFAIK Sorentos in the US do not have DRL's. My 2019 EX does not and my 2016 SX did not.
I don't know if the higher trim level got them in 2019

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXV6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the parking brake on, and/or is the car in Park? Maybe the brake has to be released or be out of Park.
I've had my wife sitting in the car with the engine running, xmsn in D with nothing so that's not the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though!

______
Check out page 4-123 in the owner's manual. It appears DRL only work when the headlight switch is in the Off" or "automatic" position.
That's my issue. When the headlight switch is in the AUTO (and it's daylight) nothing comes on. Only in the "headlight" position does it work.

______

I just had a thought - maybe what I'm calling the DRL is not what KIA calls it? Is the LED light bar that runs the width of the headlight assembly the DRL or does KIA consider the actual headlamp burning as the DRL, and the LED light bar as bling? But even if that's the case still, nothing comes on in the AUTO position in daylight.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
I've had my wife sitting in the car with the engine running, xmsn in D with nothing so that's not the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though!

______

That's my issue. When the headlight switch is in the AUTO (and it's daylight) nothing comes on. Only in the "headlight" position does it work.

______

I just had a thought - maybe what I'm calling the DRL is not what KIA calls it? Is the LED light bar that runs the width of the headlight assembly the DRL or does KIA consider the actual headlamp burning as the DRL, and the LED light bar as bling? But even if that's the case still, nothing comes on in the AUTO position in daylight.

They are NOT DRLs they are LED eyebrows, and they do NOT come on in daylight unless the switch is in HEADLIGHT. In between the two settings is the switch to turn them on, but it is not automatic, they just stay on.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXV6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are NOT DRLs they are LED eyebrows, and they do NOT come on in daylight unless the switch is in HEADLIGHT. In between the two settings is the switch to turn them on, but it is not automatic, they just stay on.
That answers my question. Thanks!

(FWIW: the LED eyebrow, strip or series of bulbs around the headlight assembly have been the DRL's on every other vehicle I've had the past few years so I was expecting the LED eyebrow on the Kia to be the same. Never paid that close attention to other Sorento's I met before buying this one to have thought there was a difference. Oh well, not what I wanted but it is what it is.)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
55 Posts
Best I can tell is that Sorentos don't have DRLs. We have an 19 SX and no lights are on during the daytime when using the Auto setting. I'm with you ... one would think that the LED eyebrows would be DRLs, but nope. I mean it would make perfect sense. I thought it was required by law for cars to have DRLs, but a quick search said no.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
285 Posts
Here's my post on this forum from 9-21-2018:

OK, I had some time parked facing a store window waiting for someone to finish their business in the store and decided to try all the various combos of IGN OFF/ON, Motor OFF/ON, all light switch position (off-auto-parking-lights), and trans in P or D. Did not fool with the parking brake, left it not set, and auto-hold was off.

Result, the only absolute definitive statement I can make after all this fiddling: If motor is ON and trans in Drive, DRL (orange led's under-headlight) are ON full bright and no manner of switch fiddling (including Auto) will turn them OFF.

All other combos of the above variables, I could not get a definitive repeatable behavior. The logic clearly knows if the trans has ever been in Drive and the motor was ON during some length of previous time.

At first start of the experiment, after I had been out of the car, car locked, in the store, for about 10 minutes.
Testing showed even with motor ON, I could not get the DRL's to come ON until shifting into Drive. They would be half-bright with the side marker lights when turning on the parking or low beams.

What was surprising was how much permissive logic must be satisfied to just get the low beams to come ON, and never could get the high beams ON with the motor OFF.

Looks like a lot of logic is at work in the lights control system to protect the battery from run-down.

Consumer Reports Magazine's recent new car issue dings the Sorento for being too easy to turn off the DRL's. I've never found an easy way to turn them OFF once they decide to come ON.

Here's a link to the original thread: https://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/332680-drl-2019-sorento-lx.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts