Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally "bit the bullet" and had the KSDS Knock Sensor update applied to my '16 Sorento 2.4L, at the 59k miles mark.

The vehicle has been running stellar, so I was still a little hesitant to do it, based on the early returns of 'bricked' vehicles from this update. But with the forums going quiet on any new such events for folks, coupled with the applied update being Kia's 4th version or so of it (with many lessons learned, from what I read), I decided to proceed. I figured that I'd better get it installed before the 5 yr/60k miles warranty was up, just in case there was any fine print anywhere in the promised lifetime long block warranty being dependent on the patch being installed before any of the other warranties were over, etc.

So - after about a 120 miles, including both highway and city driving - so far so good, according to my wife.

So stay tuned for updates here, over the next few weeks. I've got my fingers crossed that at this point, my engine was one of the "good ones". I've maintained the car right on the money with timely dealer oil changes and new air filter changes by me, and have even had 2 fuel induction services done (due to the carboning of the intake valves issue that GDI can introduce). So it's running very good at this point.

-SM2016

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 week update -

Still looking good! My wife's reporting NO performance (or 'bricking'!) problems after a couple of hundred additional city/hwy miles! Woot-woot!

-SM2016

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
377 Posts
Thanks for this update and information! Good to know!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
359 Posts
Got it on my Sportage 2015 and had to change the engine (under warranty). I lost my car for 4 months since the engine was (of course) back order.

It costed 13 000$ CAN to Kia (9 000$ for the engine and 4 000$ for renting me a car during that time) !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it on my Sportage 2015 and had to change the engine (under warranty). I lost my car for 4 months since the engine was (of course) back order.

It costed 13 000$ CAN to Kia (9 000$ for the engine and 4 000$ for renting me a car during that time) !
Sorry to read that, Goose. I'm glad it finally got fixed.

Question for you - was your update one of the "early" installations, back in early 2019 or before? I read that early on, there were likely quite a few engines replaced needlessly, due to Kia not knowing about an additional fix needed (on some vehicles) of a small part of the wiring harness and/or the sensor itself.

I'm glad I waited! :)

-SM2016

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
359 Posts
Sorry to read that, Goose. I'm glad it finally got fixed.

Question for you - was your update one of the "early" installations, back in early 2019 or before? I read that early on, there were likely quite a few engines replaced needlessly, due to Kia not knowing about an additional fix needed (on some vehicles) of a small part of the wiring harness and/or the sensor itself.

I'm glad I waited! :)

-SM2016
Yes it was an installation in early 2019 but they changed the wiring harness first and as it was not solved, they changed the enegine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts