Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dash rattles and fuel consumption, handling degradation

Our little Rio Si has been great. Its comfortable and has been utterly reliable over the past 9 months / 10,000kms.

However, there are two things that are letting it down.

Dash rattles. Wow. These have gotten really REALLY bad over the past 3 months. Yes, Sydney's roads are awful but our other car is much older and doesn't have any of these rattles. They appear to be coming mainly from the centre/passenger side of the dash and it creaks like an old boat when driving over poor surface. Its actually really off-putting and makes the car feel cheaper than it is.

Secondly, the recorded fuel consumption on the info display. The car is driven mainly in stop-start traffic and doesn't get above 60kph often. Typical inner city commuter stuff. The average fuel consumption recorded by the car is around 10l/100km which is way too high. Using my own calculations I think it is actually around 7 or 8.
Now last night the low fuel light had just flicked on. I stopped at the servo imagining it would need at least 38-40 litres however I was surprised that it only took 30 litres of fuel and no more! It seems the computer and/or fuel gauge is misreading how much fuel is actually in the tank.

Are either of these issues for anyone else?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
Both issues are very common, however typically the fuel consumption reads lower than it actually is... yours seems to be reverse, although these things are never really very accurate to begin with.
the dash rattle is a nightmare, mine is making me crazy. there is a tsb for it, but since my vin is outside of the range they state, i can't get it fixed! how insane is that. i have the exact problem described, but they won't touch it since my vin says that i shouldn't have the problem, but i do....0
my gas mileage is not very good for a compact car, but i think this car has more power than your average compact.... that being said, my most recent mileage was 11.8 l/100km (gauge ready 11.2 l/100km), which is just bonkers. it was all short city driving (no traffic) trips, but still, my van does better than that for city mileage!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Helmet for that info.

When it goes in for its first service, I will ask them to check for service advisories for the dash rattles. There is definitely something very wrong to have these kind of rattles in a car with 10,000km. Not good.

As a side note, we have done a handful of significant road trips in this, one trip being a 1700km trip from Sydney to Melbourne return, and the fuel economy was fantastic. IIRC, it was around 5.8l/100km for the entire trip with an average speed of 95kph

·
Registered
2013 Rio Si Auto
9 Posts
I've been testing my Rio SI fuel consumption a fair bit(since I got it).
With just 3300km on the odo I've come to the below conclusions.

In general driving conditions 0-60km/h speeds the fuel economy looks to be 10L/100km, absolutely horrible imho.

However once you start driving at speeds 80km/h consistently the fuel economy improves nicely to ~8L/100km

This only gets better the higher speed you usually drive in, lots of highway/freeway driving you'll easily see 5.5-6.5L/100km

My personal conclusion is that the Rio's suburban/city fuel consumption isn't very good. I average 9.5-10.5L/100km. Driving 95% suburban conditions.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
DAVE200,
My dealer fixed my dashboard rattle on the second try.Problem was @ the passengers side @ base of windshield .Quote from my work order" Removed Glove box assembly.Added foam shim to leading edge of passengers side crash pad near edge of A pillar assembly.Upon inspection found leading edge of crash pad was intermittently rattling on support frame". They charged Kia Canada 1 hour labour.Dealer had to repeat process a week later as the tape shifted.Hope this helps all with Dashboard rattle.Now if I could just get that passengers seat higher:mad:

·
Registered
14 Mazda 3 GX sport, 08 Nissn Quest SL, 10 Nissan Altima SL
28 Posts
Both issues are very common, however typically the fuel consumption reads lower than it actually is... yours seems to be reverse, although these things are never really very accurate to begin with.
the dash rattle is a nightmare, mine is making me crazy. there is a tsb for it, but since my vin is outside of the range they state, i can't get it fixed! how insane is that. i have the exact problem described, but they won't touch it since my vin says that i shouldn't have the problem, but i do....0
my gas mileage is not very good for a compact car, but i think this car has more power than your average compact.... that being said, my most recent mileage was 11.8 l/100km (gauge ready 11.2 l/100km), which is just bonkers. it was all short city driving (no traffic) trips, but still, my van does better than that for city mileage!
Mine was giving almost the same as yours and finally after multiple visits to three different dealers the fuel pump was found faulty. They replaced it under warranty and consumption dropped down to 8 plus. Last week I changed the spark plugs by myself which were totally black before replacing the fuel pump and the dealer was not willing to change them.... Now the meter reads 7.3 all city driving. Feel lucky so far with the dash rattle but it seems like that it is a manufacturing flaw and it will show up with the time..

·
Registered
17 Posts
The flaw with the Kia ventilation system certainly contributes to poorer mileage than advertised specs. Fresh air ventilation on the Rio heats air by 15 degrees even on coldest (non-AC) side of dial. If its above, say 70F outside, you'll probably end up having to use AC all the time. Instead of getting the 31mpg (combined) advertised, I'm getting 27-28mpg. However, the first month I had my car (March in CA), I always drove without AC and did get the combined 31mpg. Kia REALLY needs to fix the air system!

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
there is a tsb for it, but since my vin is outside of the range they state, i can't get it fixed!
I'm more familiar with US cars (and specifically Fords), but TSB's aren't supposed to work that way.

You are referring to TSB BOD 086 on KGIS, but if you have the problem, it should still be covered under warranty.

Similarly - there is a campaign for replacing the brake light switch, but if your brake lights don't work, they aren't supposed to say "Sorry, your car isn't on the campaign - can't fix your brake lights."

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
I'm more familiar with US cars (and specifically Fords), but TSB's aren't supposed to work that way.

You are referring to TSB BOD 086 on KGIS, but if you have the problem, it should still be covered under warranty.

Similarly - there is a campaign for replacing the brake light switch, but if your brake lights don't work, they aren't supposed to say "Sorry, your car isn't on the campaign - can't fix your brake lights."
I agree with you... dealer did not....

·
Registered
2012 RIO SLS Signal Red
43 Posts
Thanks Helmet for that info.

When it goes in for its first service, I will ask them to check for service advisories for the dash rattles. There is definitely something very wrong to have these kind of rattles in a car with 10,000km. Not good.
Dave I just had my dash rattle fixed at Gateway Kia in Wollongong. My rattle and creaks mainly happened when it was cold in the mornings. The dealer had the car 2 days as they took the whole dash out. They gave me a courtesy ar while the had it..

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I don't understand those dealers. If the dash rattles it rattles whether ther is a TSB or not. It is not right and should be fixed under warranty. I had a problem with the engine overheating and there was no TSB for that. Yet they fix it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit of a thread bump, bit of an update on our Rio.

The dash rattle is driving us insane. It is going in later this month to be looked at.

Also, the car has developed a serious problem with the suspension. 90% of the time, the car feels planted and really quite stable on the road. But hitting bumps and ruts especially when going round a bend, the car shimmys badly, to the point where I have to correct the car as the back end steps out. The car certainly wasn't doing this a year ago. It has gotten bad quite quickly so I am certain something is amiss, or has come undone such as a drop link or stabiliser bar. They are also going to look into this.

On the upside, the engine has freed up nicely. Now with 18,000km on the clock, fuel economy has drastically improved and is around 8.5l/100km around town and drops down to 5l/100km on a good run.

The engine and gearbox feels super strong also. I am actually pleasantly surprised by the performance of this little GDI motor. It really hauls now and pulls strongly in second and third. This car certainly isn't wanting for extra grunt, I would say this is only slightly slower than my RS Clio in a straight line.

Another quibble that is more apparent now the engine is run in, that damn traction control is a complete pain in the ass!!! It gets switched off as soon as I get in because anything requiring a hasty getaway from an intersection has the engine bogging down with the TC light flashing.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Update on our Rios...

I've had mine for 2 years now. Fortunately, I dont have the "big" rattles in the dash problem. I have the small one. If you can say that. Squeaks now and then but getting on your nerves all rignt. I've had a very very spongy brake pedal. You'd drive my Rio and you'd say no way it has 4 discs brakes. 2 disks at front and two drums at rear for the most. For 2 years, I was told it was OK. I've drove a friend's 2014 brand new Rio. Braking: thought I was finally driving a 4 discs car. Rattles, squeaks: none. As for the warm air coming from the vents. You're so right. I'm in Montréal with -25 C winter days. Even at -25, air coming from outside is kind of lukewarm. My conclusion: my Rio will get old fast and wont last more than 4-5 years without important repairs. Wonderful small car but fragile. If Sydney's roads are as crappy as Montréal's, then do like I do if you want some peace of mind: don't drive in the city. Always find a highway. Your Rio and your back will thank you...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no problem with the brakes, they are responsive and firm when needed. Quite resiliant to fade too

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
No Brake issue here either.I have 23000 Kilometers.
I think this car is well built & I am not concerned about longevity after 27 months.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car goes in tomorrow to have the dash rattle and suspension check.

Also raising two other issues:

Gearshift boot has a hole in it from wearing in a crease.
Fuel readout is drastically wrong. Low fuel light came on, could only put 28L of fuel in. For a 50L tank, that is wildly inaccurate and I am sure is the reason for the poor fuel economy readout.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
Car goes in tomorrow to have the dash rattle and suspension check.

Also raising two other issues:

Gearshift boot has a hole in it from wearing in a crease.
Fuel readout is drastically wrong. Low fuel light came on, could only put 28L of fuel in. For a 50L tank, that is wildly inaccurate and I am sure is the reason for the poor fuel economy readout.
wow, that's a big tank for Australia, its only 43L for North American Rio's in the 2012 model year.

(that's odd the Australian Rio for 2014 is only 43L according to their website)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I am muddled up and it is 43L. Even so, 28L and telling me its running low with 15L in the tank is excessive.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Yeh it's a 43 litre tank

I got mine back from a warranty replacement of the heater box yesterday. While it was apart I got them to add some tape/padding behind the dash and now it's whisper quiet finally. No more rattles that have plagued it since day 1! The top of the steering column was rattly and annoying since day 1 too but I had double sided tape added in there back in 2012 which solved that issue. So stupid to have such a nice little car soured by not adding $1 worth of double sided tape around the front end.

Regarding the car stepping out at the back I'd say yours has done it since day 1 as ours has and many others too. It's disconcerting and annoying but it's never been an issue as it catches itself quite quickly. Still shouldn't do it though. Your tyres getting older will make the issue worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts