Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 sportage. everytime i hit a bump the dash lights and park lights go off. and the radio goes off at the sametime. and the temp gauge goes up. what is the problem. someone told me it might be dimmer switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a bad dimmer causes this problem because the variable resistor goes bad in them. i bypassed the dimmer on my dash lights and i haven't had the problem since. personally i think dimming the dash lights is pointless because they aren't very bright in the first place but i'm 100% sure that that's the problem. you'll either want bypass the dimmer or buy a new one and put it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
base on my i could find out it was the dimmer switch that causes this problem in kia's. alot of the resistances for the gauges and light run throught that switch

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Kevin...
The tail lights are not run through the dash light dimmer circuit so you either have two problems or the Headlight/parking light switch and/or the plug in connector that connects to that switch is probably bad. The headlight switch(and plug) controls both the tail lights and dash lights.
Dave

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If both the Tail and Dash lights are out, suggest checking the Flasher Relay, located in the relay block behind the driver's knee airbag, (it's the longer relay, grey in color)

- if the Flasher Relay is not secured in the relay block (or is defective) will also cause this to happen.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
haveing same problem but it's totally random. dashlights, and tail lights flicker on and off.

2002 kia spectra
Kevin,

For the Sportage, the relay flasher would be one area to check, however for the Spectra I dunno - never owned one.

And the wiring is setup different vs. the Sportage.

Don't want to send you in a wrong direction w/ your issue:

Recommend checking the areas suggested by Dave here & in the Spectra forum thread,

Hope your repair goes well.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Good link for what he needs.
You could use a jumper wire from
blue yellow to red green to test to see if the dimmer module is bad..
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts