Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2000 Sephia, 54,000 miles and #3 cylinder is not firing. Changed the spark plugs and it looks like the #3 plug was fouled, but that didn't help. Does anybody have a clue what it could be? Fuel injector stuck open? Does a poor battery have an effect on the fuel injection electronics?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
like 1fastkia said, change the wires (I think a good rule is swapping out the plugs and the wires at the same time, why not when your in that area anyway! Don't wait till you have a problem.) I would also cleant he battery terminals and sand them till you can see a goldish contact on the terminal clamps. Or invest in better wires like I did (it makes a difference, especially in your stereo system). I think it would be the wires since after a while, the wires slowly deteriorate due to resistance after years pass by. The reason the plug could be fouled is that its not getting enough spark thus making it run colder and getting all sooty, or could be misfiring and causing it to get all sooty. Also check your air filter and piping. If necessary, drop in a new air filter (since it sounds like your system might be running too rich). Did you check the other spark plugs?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dear Kia owner, did you get #3 cylinder to fire yet? If so what was the problem. It could be the plug wire or the distributor cap if you have one. If this doesn't fix it then a compression check would be in order. Three questions: Does it have fuel, does it have spark, does it have compression? This maxim will cover 90% of all problems engine related. Let me know how you made out. speedster1

·
Registered
3 Posts
If changing the wires didn't solve your problem, it's probably the ignition coil.

You can change that easily, since you've already taken it off once to replace the plug in cylinder 3.

I just fought with a check engine light and sputtering, and I did the plugs, 3 was fouled.then the wires, and finally the coil.

I'm hoping that also solves my check engine light problem...the codes say it was misfires on cylinders 2 and 3...and a fuel level circuit malfunction...I'm still tryingto figure that one out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts