Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sedona LX, 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took our '08 Sedona in for an oil change and safety inspection and was told that the "oil valves" were leaking. I looked around on KGIS and found the oil control valves as the closest thing. I searched the forum and didn't find any mention of them (maybe because every other post has the word "oil" in it) except one person had a faulty one replaced. I haven't noticed any problems with the engine, though it is going on 115k miles. We did the 100k maintenance right before the warranty expired, and have done frequent oil changes.

Anyway, the dealer quoted the replacement at around $450. A quick google gave me the parts prices at around $150 each. The KGIS seems to indicate that you need to remove the manifold and cylinder heads to replace them, which seems like a pretty good deal for only $150 of labor.

I guess my questions are:
1) How can they tell the oil control valves are leaking from just an oil change?
2) Are these parts that normally just start leaking?
3) Shouldn't we be able to just replace the o-ring instead of the whole part?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question:
4) What should we replace while we're at it since the heads are coming off anyway? (head gaskets?)

·
Registered
263 Posts
My wife took our '08 Sedona in for an oil change and safety inspection and was told that the "oil valves" were leaking. I looked around on KGIS and found the oil control valves as the closest thing. I searched the forum and didn't find any mention of them (maybe because every other post has the word "oil" in it) except one person had a faulty one replaced. I haven't noticed any problems with the engine, though it is going on 115k miles. We did the 100k maintenance right before the warranty expired, and have done frequent oil changes.

Anyway, the dealer quoted the replacement at around $450. A quick google gave me the parts prices at around $150 each. The KGIS seems to indicate that you need to remove the manifold and cylinder heads to replace them, which seems like a pretty good deal for only $150 of labor.

I guess my questions are:
1) How can they tell the oil control valves are leaking from just an oil change?
2) Are these parts that normally just start leaking?
3) Shouldn't we be able to just replace the o-ring instead of the whole part?

Thanks!
RE: Anyway, the dealer quoted the replacement at around $450. A quick google gave me the parts prices at around $150 each. The KGIS seems to indicate that you need to remove the manifold and cylinder heads to replace them, which seems like a pretty good deal for only $150 of labor.

$150 to remove the cylinder heads?, I doubt it.

Remove the intake manifold, and Valve covers.. that sounds on the cheap side as well.

Q: How much is the shops hourly rate? In my area it's right at $120 per hr.

PS: Call the dealer and get the parts numbers of the parts they intend to replace, and post the part numbers.

I would imagine a V.C. Gasket set (2) front and rear bank.
(2) oil control valves.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Another question:
4) What should we replace while we're at it since the heads are coming off anyway? (head gaskets?)

Head gaskets?
No way they are R &R' ing the head gaskets for $150.

RE: What should we replace while we're at it since the heads are coming off anyway? (head gaskets?)

Replacing the valve cover gaskets @115k miles.... and maybe doing a VALVE ADJUSTMENT....

* Oil leaking from V.C gasket near alternator is a problem area... oil goes into alternator..= not good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its probably the valve covers, not the oil control valves.
I suggested that it might be those and she said "That might be it. They said there were two of them."

I'm having trouble finding the procedure for replacing the gaskets in the KGIS, though. I did a blanket search for "valve cover" and it didn't find anything. Is it called something else?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
I suggested that it might be those and she said "That might be it. They said there were two of them."

I'm having trouble finding the procedure for replacing the gaskets in the KGIS, though. I did a blanket search for "valve cover" and it didn't find anything. Is it called something else?

Thanks again.
Rocker covers.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
I replaced my valve cover gaskets. It was one hell of a job. Unless you really know your way around an engine, I wouldn't attempt it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced my valve cover gaskets. It was one hell of a job. Unless you really know your way around an engine, I wouldn't attempt it.
I know my way around the engine bay, haven't had the opportunity to get familiar with internals much yet. I read a few other posts that said this was a 9+ hour job for the average DIY'er. I guess I'll be taking it back to the dealer. Though, I might provide my own parts depending on how much they are going to try and charge us.

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its probably the valve covers, not the oil control valves.
Just for clarification as I've seen posts regarding the oil control valves but no one has ever elaborated on them:

Q: What exactly do the CVVT Oil Control valves do?
Q: What is the projected lifespan.. another way to put it how long should they last.. I would assume 100k miles if it's part of the 10yr /100k Engine /trans internal parts warranty?... if they are internal....
Q: Anything that can be done to extend their life?
Q: What kills them?
Q: Can they be "cleaned"
Q: Can they be dissembled?
Q: Where are they located?
Q: Are the electronically, or likewise controlled?
Q: Are they part of the induction /EGR/ emission system?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know my way around the engine bay, haven't had the opportunity to get familiar with internals much yet. I read a few other posts that said this was a 9+ hour job for the average DIY'er. I guess I'll be taking it back to the dealer. Though, I might provide my own parts depending on how much they are going to try and charge us.

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

9hrs to replace the rocker/ valve cover gaskets? (Front and Rear Bank)
That sounds excessive, I'd call a couple of sources to verify.

EDIT: For DIY'er... 9hrs might not be far off.

Oh, On bringing your own parts to the party... a better idea would to check online/get best price on parts and then call the parts department of the service center that is going to do the work... Negotiate the best price you can, then arrange service.

Did that about a week or so ago on a TPS sensor which had just gone bad. Was quoted oen price via parts department... a "higher"price appearing on the ticket.
( If I had access to the software app that updates the ECU.. I would have replaced the TPS..)

TPS SENSOR, Symptoms of TPS failure CEL, ESC OFF LIGHT ON=TOTAL LOSS OF POWER

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carnival-sedona-2006/80251-tps-sensor-symptoms-tps-failure-cel.html

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
It took me two days to rip down the front of the van, replace the gaskets, clean up the oil that had seeped out, and put everything back together. I took the entire front end off though. Bumper, radiator, radiator support. It made the job take longer, but I was able to clean everything up better, and it was easier to get in closer. The set of gaskets only cost $30. Here was a summary of what I did:
*Four sets of new brake pads
*Replacement of right front caliper
*New tires
*New valve cover gaskets for both cylinder banks
*Thorough cleaning and de-greasing of the engine bay
*New brake fluid
*Coolant Flush
*Oil Change
*Injector Cleaning
*Wash and wax
*Wash, vacuum interior
*Condition leather
Start Date: 9-12-11
Completion Date: 9-16-11
Mileage as of 9-12-11: 158,124
Mileage as of 8-22-12: 192,413
No Recurring Problems
Estimated Cost: $710 ($570 for the tires!)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
It took me two days to rip down the front of the van, replace the gaskets, clean up the oil that had seeped out, and put everything back together. I took the entire front end off though. Bumper, radiator, radiator support. It made the job take longer, but I was able to clean everything up better, and it was easier to get in closer. The set of gaskets only cost $30. Here was a summary of what I did:
*Four sets of new brake pads
*Replacement of right front caliper
*New tires
*New valve cover gaskets for both cylinder banks
*Thorough cleaning and de-greasing of the engine bay
*New brake fluid
*Coolant Flush
*Oil Change
*Injector Cleaning
*Wash and wax
*Wash, vacuum interior
*Condition leather
Start Date: 9-12-11
Completion Date: 9-16-11
No Recurring Problems
Estimated Cost: $710 ($570 for the tires!)
Q: Did you adjust /check valve clearance? If so how many out of spec /how many on loose or tight side?
Q: How many valve adjustments has car had?
Q: 192,413 miles, or km's
Q: What kind of tires did you go with?
Q: How are they wearing? How would you rate ride, traction, road noise, etc?
Q: What kind of tires were on car previously? You happy with the $570 set?
Q: $570 mounted, balanced with some kind of road hazard / rebalanced every 6k miles included at $570 price?
Q: What size did you go with? I'm looking for 235/60R 17

Q: What did you clean /condition leather with?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Q: Did you adjust /check valve clearance? If so how many out of spec /how many on loose or tight side?
A: I didn't touch any of that.
Q: How many valve adjustments has car had?
A: I have never adjusted the valves, nor do I intend to.
Q: 192,413 miles, or km's
A: Miles. Equivalent to 309,659 kms
Q: What kind of tires did you go with?
A: Cooper CS4 Touring. I have those on both of my Sedonas and my Rondo.
Q: How are they wearing? How would you rate ride, traction, road noise, etc?
A: They are wearing pretty evenly. After I hit about 40,000 on them, they will likely need to be replaced. Ride is very quiet on them. Traction is excellent, didn't even get stuck last winter - and I lived in northern Michigan. Road noise is there, but not bothersome.
Q: What kind of tires were on car previously? You happy with the $570 set?
A: Michelin Energy tires were on it when I bought it. I have never been more disappointed with a tire in my life. They were completely garbage after 25,000 miles, and they had little to no traction. Even on wet roads. I am extremely happy with the $570 Coopers, and that is the route I will go next time, too. Just looking at Sedonas I see in parking lots, I see a lot that have the Cooper CS4 tires - so I'm not alone in my decision.
Q: $570 mounted, balanced with some kind of road hazard / rebalanced every 6k miles included at $570 price?
A: The price included mount and balance from a locally owned tire store. I never balance my tires except when replacing them. I have road hazard in my auto policy.
Q: What size did you go with? I'm looking for 235/60R 17
A: I went with the size recommended in my Owner's Manual - the size that had already been on the van.
Q: What did you clean /condition leather with?
A: I think it's Meguiar's, but I'm not 100% sure. I know it is a gel that I massage into the seats with my hands, then wipe away the excess. It makes the leather so soft and supple. Love it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts