Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here made their own Ram Air or Cold Air Intake? I'm going to make one but I wanted some ideas and/or photos. I'll post what I have when I eventually do it. Just looking for some ideas. Or even if you purchased yours and want to show it off, I would still like to see it! Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Camaro Z28 (track car)... 65 Buick Skylark (Project LT1 Buick)... 01 Kia Rio (The Daily)
50 Posts
Was going to rout some new oversized pipe from the fog opening to my modded factory air box but don't want to waste the money. I would thing going from the fog light opening would be the easiest route.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did this yesterday,

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5878/coldairintake3.jpg

I'm going to cut a hole just behind the headlight and route my filter behind the fog light like you said. I did this just to see how it would come out. $25 for the filter at AutoZone but I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else. I was just in there and though I would give it a try. $5 for 10 feet of drain tubing from Home Depot. I only used about 2 or 3 feet worth.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio
3 Posts
im attempting to do a cold air intake on my 05 rio and i was wondering if you had a picture of what you did. the link provided is broken

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just removed everything before the MAF sensor and put a shorty filter directly on the MAF. Haven't noticed any difference in power but I think my timing belt is going bad and i'm not getting normal power from that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CBS619, it is plastic. Its only drain pipe from Home Depot and even still its held up. After I had done this we still had a few 100F+ here is Sacramento and still just fine.
Jdirks, That is what I did at first but the filter I have was hitting the hood and having the filter right on top of the TB sucks in all the hot air coming in from the radiator and the exhaust manifold. Where the filter is located in this picture, it gets colder air but if you look closely its right next to the radiators overflow canister. If you overhead its going right into your intake. If you were going to do something like this for a CIA, move the battery back a little, cut a hole in the body to route the tube just behind the bumper cover. Not too low or it can suck up water when it rains. :)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
10 Posts
This is what i got. Temporary/permanent. Temp as in my daughters diaper under neath filter to prevent rubbing on engine mount. Also the tubing is not perm it was a cheapo kit and i want to go legit/little longer. It sounds beefy especially at high rpms, slight hp/torque gain placebo effect. ;) next is headers and exhaust

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
10 Posts
Nah its not used. Slight splash of dirt, and i keep it clean. :) makes working on the car easier if you keep it clean. I enjoy the ride. I want to route it towards the front more directly behind my light so i dont gotta worry about the diaper thing. Im gonna get hose clamps and keep it in place it vibrates a bit but i love having a reusable filter that adds beef.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts