Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

im from malaysia and our sportage is running auto transmission with 6 speed with gasoline.
here what i've tried, on the speed 80-90 kmph i pressed on/off button (on the righthand side of steering), the indicator "CRUISE" is on on the instrument cluster. and then i pressed "SET -" down, which supposed to have "SET" indicator on in the instrument cluster, but mine didn't. when i let go the pedal, the speed went down like the cruise never been activated.
i've gone to the KIA service centre, the frustrating thing is they don't know anything and will contact me again once they found the answer. (somehow i feel hopeless)

is there anything that i missed? i think my brake lights works fine. the only thing that i mod-ed was the tail light modification. i did a DIY extra bulbs, coz my country's version is the same as UK's (trunk tail lights not available)

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Only thing i can think of is you must push your brake pedal at least once before activating cruise control. Brake control switch is related to cruise control,it also cancels cruise control when you step on your brakes. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
I had my cruise control switch replaced under warranty because it was doing similar. Set the cruise as normal and it took several activations of the "Set" position before it would kick in. Frustrating. Changed over with no questions asked and now it's working fine.

Don't know about Kia, but I previously had an Opel (Holden) Astra convertible that had a similar problem - cruise not working, lights not doing what the switch was telling them to do, etc. Turned out to be a blown rear brake light globe! Changed the globe and everything OK after that. Also worth looking at.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, slovakia! im gonna try that later. brake before activating the cruise.
as for the rear brake light globe, i might ask my dealer to look at that, but first this also worth looking at:
meanwhile, i was getting help from FB group, someone found a thread rgding the exactly same prob but occurs to 2011 sorento (should b the same system right)
2011 Sorento Cruise Control - Kia Owners Club Forums - Page 3
basically its about remove and refitting the cruise switch.

will keep this thread updated

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
26 Posts
I had this issue once and then it never occurred again. I think however, it was related to the brake light switch. During the one time it would not set, the traction control and hill decent lights lit up on the dash randomly over the course of a couple of months. Just an assumption, but I believe it was related to the brake light switch in my situation.

Hope you can find a solution soon...good luck!

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
I had this issue once and then it never occurred again. I think however, it was related to the brake light switch. During the one time it would not set, the traction control and hill decent lights lit up on the dash randomly over the course of a couple of months. Just an assumption, but I believe it was related to the brake light switch in my situation.

Hope you can find a solution soon...good luck!
Did you have that switch replaced? I don't think he mentioned other problems apart from his CC not being able to be set. Those damn brake light switches are causing all kinds of issues,they should replace them as people visit shops regardless they report a problem,or not. Replace them for revised versions i mean. Wishful thinking? Probably.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Also check the brake light bulbs/globes/lamps. A burned out one may/can also cause problems with the cruse control.
Dave

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
26 Posts
Did you have that switch replaced? I don't think he mentioned other problems apart from his CC not being able to be set. Those damn brake light switches are causing all kinds of issues,they should replace them as people visit shops regardless they report a problem,or not. Replace them for revised versions i mean. Wishful thinking? Probably.
Yea I had mine replaced. I agree with you about replacing all the brake light switches. I've heard of so many people having issues with it. Did you have yours replaced too? I'm not sure if it was related at all to the cruise control, but I thought I might mention it since I had issues using my cruise control during the time of the faulty brake light switch.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Yea I had mine replaced. I agree with you about replacing all the brake light switches. I've heard of so many people having issues with it. Did you have yours replaced too? I'm not sure if it was related at all to the cruise control, but I thought I might mention it since I had issues using my cruise control during the time of the faulty brake light switch.
I haven't had it replaced as i didn't have any problems with it so far. Nor can i recall anyone mentioning problem with it here in this region. But i could be wrong on this one. We had a different issue,a brake vacum pump on certain models could fail,it was recognized by KIA and replaced promptly as people visited shops. They even called people in to have them replaced. So it could be a problem with cars built in Korea? The brake light switch i mean. Who knows.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi, if i'm about to suggest to my dealer, to replace the brake light switch eventhough it's still working properly?
colepl, were your brake lights burned or not working? so that it affects the cruise ctrl?
or was it because the brake lights were having wiring attachment that it affects the cruise?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
26 Posts
hi, if i'm about to suggest to my dealer, to replace the brake light switch eventhough it's still working properly?
colepl, were your brake lights burned or not working? so that it affects the cruise ctrl?
or was it because the brake lights were having wiring attachment that it affects the cruise?
My brake lights were not burnt out...not that I know of anyway. I had mine replaced because I couldnt get the car out of park (wouldnt let me change gears) several times. It wouldnt hurt to ask your dealer if the brake light switch can have an effect on the cruise control. I only had one problem when I was driving 75 and trying to set the cruise control...it wouldn't come on and never would set. After I turned off the car and back on again, the cruise control returned to normal. This issue with the cruise control came up during the same time I couldn't get my car out of park. I hope I didn't confuse anyone into thinking this is the solution to fix the cruise control.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think that the brake switch can have definitely to do with the cruise control...isn't the cruise turns off when you press the brake ? So if it's always engaged (because it's broken) the cruise will not activate ever because it thinks the brake is pressed...

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX (Black Cherry), 2012 Piaggio Fly 50 4v (Midnight Blue)
52 Posts
I've noticed a problem exactly like what OP mentions. I'm in the US and own a 2012 EX.

Sometimes when I turn the cruise "ON" and then press "SET" it does not set. However, if I hit the "Cancel" button then proceed to hit "SET" it works fine. And it works fine the remainder of the time in the car.

This only happens occasionally and with no consistency. Sometimes I will get in the car, start it up, drive to the interstate and hit "ON", "SET", and presto!

Very odd. I hadn't given it any thought but maybe I should take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
computer mouse

i loose my cruise controll once in a while , i think it because i forget its not a computer mouse and i double click the set button. i get cruise back after i restart the car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with there Cruise Control not working when going uphill? Was going up to the top of a 3000 foot Mt. on a straight road with a slight incline and the cruise was set for 50 mph but it kept going down until it reached 30 mph and then the cruise shut off. I took it to the dealer today and he told me this is normal. He said it shuts down so that when you get to the top of the hill the car will not speed up going down the hill. I have not ever heard of this. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX AWD
123 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with there Cruise Control not working when going uphill? Was going up to the top of a 3000 foot Mt. on a straight road with a slight incline and the cruise was set for 50 mph but it kept going down until it reached 30 mph and then the cruise shut off. I took it to the dealer today and he told me this is normal. He said it shuts down so that when you get to the top of the hill the car will not speed up going down the hill. I have not ever heard of this. Please let me know what you think.
I have seen this on other vehicles where when the computer senses wide open throttle or close to it, the cruise will disengage. This is a safety precaution to prevent you from losing control if the hill were to level out before the computer reacts. This may occur on some hills but not others.
I have never really driven my Sportage on hills with cruise active, but I would think this is pretty standard on all modern vehicles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the cruise was set for 50 mph but it kept going down until it reached 30 mph and then the cruise shut off. I took it to the dealer today and he told me this is normal. [...] Please let me know what you think.
I haven't experienced it on Sportage but this is normal. When the car need to use too much throttle to obey the command it will disengage. If the hill is so steep that this happens, you should take back the control of the car before it happens. If you have a large load (people, stuff and/or trailer) you'll want to slow down and lower gear.

jf

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
Been getting intermittent cruise control engagement for over a year now. The dealer has already replaced the steering wheel switches and the brake switch, it helped for about a week then it was playing up again - annoying as it does not mess up all the time, a hard (permanent) fault is so much easier to repair.

Usually I can get the CRUISE light on but not the SET, however the other day I couldn't even get the CRUISE. Most times if I hit CANCEL before SET- it will work okay, however this does not work all the time. When it does not engage initially, about 10 -15km down the road if I try again it does work, this to me sounds like a loose connector scenario.

I've been running the OBD-2 on the car for the last couple of weeks to trace a throttle problem (another thread), and recently it has picked up a fault code: P0564 CRUISE CONTROL MULTI-FUNCTION INPUT SIGNAL, so hopefully this will help the dealer to solve the problem.

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
As my Sportage is about a week out from the end of it's 5 year warranty and there had been some intermittent faults that had not been rectified, I arranged to have it checked at our local dealer (at no cost to me) to see if any of the things I had reported could be fixed. My two main concerns were an EGR fault that puts the car into limp-home mode (usually rectified by switching the car off and restarting - fault code P0404) and the cruise control not engaging as reported above (fault code P0564). Unfortunately my TORQUE OBD-II Fault Log Manager Report can't be accepted by KIA as a true indication, they need to have their own scan code device hooked up to the OBD-II port - seems their machine uploads the code off to main office who then authorises repair/replacement as needed. And of course my faults are cleared by the vehicle itself which is very frustrating, hence I have the TORQUE app save the OBD-II log to the phone's memory.

Anyway, it went to the dealers today, the good news is they did manage to replicate the cruise control issue. They said the clock-spring assembly needs replacing, I'll be called back in when the part arrives. They will also try to get the EGR to play up when it goes back, but it's been pretty good lately so I'm not too certain I will have that fault diagnosed prior to warranty closing. The Warranty Manager did mention that if it does become a hard fault after the warranty is finished he will send a not to Head Office to see if they can have it repaired as a goodwill gesture, they have been extremely good so far e.g. I had the rear spoiler replaced by this dealer after the crack appeared.

Anyway, the clock-spring does seem to be something that could cause the problems I'm seeing, more than likely there is a cracked track on the flexible circuit board, it sometimes makes contact, sometimes a poor contact (hence not proving the correct voltages back to the ECUs, and sometimes no contact at all - like when cruise does not light up at all.

The service manager did mention they were having problems tracking down the right part number for mine. I wonder if this could be as my Sportage was in the very first batch sent to Australia, its actually a build date of Sep 2010, and it did not have the the bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel, about 2 or three months later they started getting the models with the extra buttons. I'm wondering if they only have the part for these latter models, it would be nice if they had to replace the complete steering wheel and give me the bluetooth version :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts