Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+ Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering which is better for fuel economy.

Daily commute has slight uphills and downhills. When using cruise (auto trans in standard drive position) it downshifts quickly uphill to maintain speed, but if you slide over to the "manual" mode it keeps the rpm's low and the speed drops off a bit. Wondering which is better for fuel economy, let the cruise auto do its thing, or keep the car in 6th gear?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 LX+ Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought about checking the MPG in real time. I'll leave the car in drive during cruise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
People say when it is hilly the human intervention makes for better fuel economy than cruise, but I also love my cruise control...

I find on some hills I will just do a couple well timed pushes of the <-> button of the cruise as I get closer to the crest of the hill to keep the car from downshifting and then hit the <+> a couple times a few seconds apart on the downhill works well for me.

Other times I will just tap the shifter into sport mode to hold 6th. If you know the route well maybe even a manual tap and hold into 5th for the steeper part will be better than slowing down too much. For sure a more aggressive shift and then acceleration back up to speed on a hill will cost you more mpg than just holding your speed.
If you get a slight slow down in 6th this is ok as the computer will over ride you, even in manual mode, to keep the motor and trans in a safe zone if needed...
I love the ECO mode but when it's hilly I will occasionally switch it off and the shifts seem to be more smooth and hold cruise speeds steadier than eco mode...
At any rate this are just some general observations as everyone's condition will be different due to speed, car weight loaded, gradient, wind etc ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts