Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a Veloster before my Sorento, and the cruise control worked as expected on that car - you set the speed, let go of the accelerator, and it stayed at that speed. Accelerate beyond the speed, let go, and it comes back to set speed.

My Sorento is exceedingly annoying on this feature - say I drive 100kmh, steady speed, the set cruise, it shows set at 100, let go of the accelerator, it goes down to 93kmh, then slowly creeps back up to 100, taking sometimes up to a minute to reach 100. If I accelerate to 110 to pass a car, then let go, it does the same thing.... 93, then creeps up to 100.

Anybody know if there is anything to be done about this?

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2021 3.5L AWD EX (GCC Spec), 7 seater
44 Posts
Very strange. That has never happened to me. Whenever I set the cruise control, it continues at that speed. If I accelerate to overtake and then let go, it goes down to the set speed.

You must have something else going on.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
268 Posts
You sure it's not the adaptive cruise feature kicking in and detecting a car ahead of you? I think the default following distance is max, and it's pretty damn far.

On an open road without any other cars, my CC stays pegged exactly where I tell it to stay, regardless of hills.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife's 2020 Soul does this too, she says. It's really annoying. I have the LX Premium, so no adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
982 Posts
I just did a 600 mile trip in my Sorento, I didn't see anything like this. The only thing I see is when a car cuts in front of you, the adaptive cruise initially creates a larger space than programmed and then gradually closes the gap to the programmed spacing. You can hasten that closure by just stepping on the gas for a moment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might go to the dealer then to see if there is something they can reprogram... It's seriously annoying. Even when Itry and help the truck up to speed, then let go of the accelerator while cruise is active, it will drop down two or 3 kmh and take over 30 seconds to go back up to speed.

·
Registered
2021 SORENTO X-LINE
23 Posts
Might go to the dealer then to see if there is something they can reprogram... It's seriously annoying. Even when Itry and help the truck up to speed, then let go of the accelerator while cruise is active, it will drop down two or 3 kmh and take over 30 seconds to go back up to speed.
It's the adaptive cruise, I agree and hate it it's the first vehicle I've owned where you cany shut it off. My biggest complaint about the Sorento.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But ... I don't have adaptive cruise ... It's a base model .... There are no settings anywhere for it ...

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX
11 Posts
It's the adaptive cruise, I agree and hate it it's the first vehicle I've owned where you cany shut it off. My biggest complaint about the Sorento.
The adaptive cruise control does not behave like that. And it is possible to change to standard cruise control by pressing and holding the Cruise button.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
982 Posts
First off, you can shut it off, as indicated in the above post, just hold the cruise button.

Personally, I love the adaptive cruise! I was stuck in a crawling traffic jam on the PA-TP when a tractor trailer caught on fire, what mess! As we inched along, the cruise did all the work, I just steered the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went to the dealer today. The service tech says his Sportage does the same as well. He says no way to reprogram or to adjust the responsiveness. So I guess I'll have to get used to this, my only real annoyance so far with the vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I went to the dealer today. The service tech says his Sportage does the same as well. He says no way to reprogram or to adjust the responsiveness. So I guess I'll have to get used to this, my only real annoyance so far with the vehicle.
Don't accept that as an answer - it's BS. My dealer was also saying it's normal that the speed limit recognition system was not displaying the speed limit in the dashboard/HUD. I even dropped the car off and made them give me a report saying it's normal. Then I took the car home, updated the software and viola, it started displaying the speed limit in the dashboard/HUD.

Interestingly, at the same time as I was dropping my car off, another customer was steaming as he was trying to explain that a 3 psi offset in the tire pressure gauge system is a problem while the dealership was saying it was all normal, just make sure you pump the tires 3 psi more :ROFLMAO:

They just say that to get away with having to do any work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You updated the software yourself?
Yep, very straightforward. Just follow the instructions on Official Kia - Navigation Update Website

In fact I hinted at the dealership that they should try updating the software and when they called me back to say that it's all normal, I asked "did you update the software?" they said "No, but we can do it but it'll take 2-3 working days because we have to receive the update from the HQ." I told them it's BS and it's a quick download from the website and a 1-2 hr installation but they weren't convinced. So I just ordered a new USB drive (didn't have one), downloaded the software, plugged it in the USB that fits the CarPlay/Android Auto cable and just followed the on-screen instructions. About 1 hour later, it was all updated and it fixed:
  1. Speed limit display on dashboard/HUD
  2. Dynamic theme (previously was stuck in sunsetish time)
After all of the above, I have been nailing their customer service for weeks now. They keep apologizing but I will not quit until they gift me some Kia branded merch!!! Yes, I'm petty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But you have the EX model. I don't have integrated navigation, and there is no update available for my vehicle through that website... My model is not part of the list

·
Registered
44 Posts
But you have the EX model. I don't have integrated navigation, and there is no update available for my vehicle through that website... My model is not part of the list
Doesn't your model have the Standard Gen5 8-inch display? Is there a different kind of display besides the 8-inch (Standard Gen5) and the 10-inch (Standard Gen5W)?

Try downloading the Navigation Updater program and putting in the serial number. It's not just a navigation update, it's a software update too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll try it again, but the first time I tried it Couldn't seem to find my head unit model

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I just downloaded the software for 2021 Sorento, and it confirms what my first go around of the subject told me - the software update is strictly for NAVIGATION equipped units, not for base units. Therefore, no owner-installable updates are possible at the moment, if ever.

EDIT : Just so the skeptical are satisfied, I actually put the software on a USB key and went in the car and tried to update. It says no supported files found.

·
Registered
2021 SORENTO X-LINE
23 Posts
First off, you can shut it off, as indicated in the above post, just hold the cruise button.

Personally, I love the adaptive cruise! I was stuck in a crawling traffic jam on the PA-TP when a tractor trailer caught on fire, what mess! As we inched along, the cruise did all the work, I just steered the car.
First, this is a wrong answer, if you shut it off you no longer have cc at all you have a speed limiter that acts nothing like cruise control. Second I hate it because it just plain sucks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts