Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was bound to happen. Driving 125 miles between 3-6am six days per week in northern Michigan, through the woods. I hit a deer this morning. Traveling along about 65 miles per hour, I saw movement in the corner of my eye, and all of a sudden, the sound of crunch, crumple and smash. Deer took out headlight, fender, hood, bumper, side mirror, driver's door, and dented the door skin of the rear sliding door. Waiting to hear back from insurance. I'm hoping they don't total it. It's only 370 miles short of 230,000. The damage looks like it's going to be close to the book value though. I managed to bend some of the damage out, and used my spare headlight assembly in order to get it to the body shop (60 miles away).

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
sorry to hear about that, that happened to me about 10 years ago and at the time I was driving this vehicle.

I caused $1800 damage. It was a small dear and caught it on the left side front corner, damaged all the grille, buckled the fender and hood. Due to the age of the vehicle they replaced some parts with used from a wreckers. I knocked the deer about a 100', but you could see no obvious damage on it but it was dead. The car spun right around and almost went into the ditch - it didn't have ABS or ESC on it like my current vehicle, so it was not easy to control.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
If they total it... Ask to buy it back from the insurance company.. The price should be cheap... You will have to put some parts on it and get it "inspected" by your state highway patrol. In OHIO they only want to make sure the replacement parts were not from a stolen car and it wasn't a "safety" inspection...
The inspection package cost $55 and the appointment for inspection was a month away.
I'm sure Mi has some different "rules" on salvage cars but puting it back on the road is not hard..You will only be able to get collision coverage but who cares!
SOS - Rebuilt Vehicles
You end up with a "pay-out" on the car, the car, and it's back on the road...
Dave

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Michigan we don't have vehicle inspections. At least, that I've ever heard of. So far I've been able to find (salvage) a hood, fender, bumper, and mirror - all for $610. I would have to have them painted to match, they are off of a gold Sedona. Still haven't been able to find a driver's door, the current door is completely shot. Headlight assemblies can usually be found for around $75 online. Significant bodywork is needed to the left sliding door, too. Still hoping they just cover it instead of totaling it - it would save me a lot of headache....especially for what I pay for insurance. (Michigan is a no-fault state)

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
If you check the link I posted there are "salvage inspections" in Michigan. The insurance company would pay out the claim and "total" the car...meaning that they would change your old title to a "salvage"`title..You then can buy back the car for pennies on the dollar as the original owner... You replace the parts, pay the inspection fees, change the salvage title to a "rebuilt salvage" title, put the plates back on the car and drive it.
Done this many times here in Ohio and am driving an 06 Spectra that is "branded" rebuilt salvage.. My thought is you don't drive the title you drive the car. I could care less if there is a "brand" on the title.
I'd bet they "total" the car because of the year and the high labor/paint costs..
Dave

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, they are trying to total it. Waiting to hear more about what they will pay out on it. In the mean time I'm searching for parts and getting an estimate on fixing the hood and rear door skin. Those body panels are actually salvageable.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
You may be able to get them re-skinned.. Ask (pm) Cobra259 He's a KIA parts manager at a Michigan Dealership.
Dave

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The driver's door frame is actually bent, so I do need a door. Just picked up a headlight for $46. I found a fender and a bumper for $285, but I have to have them painted. Body shop said the hood and rear door skin were an easy fix. Recycler is going to give me a price on just the door frame (I don't need the interior panel, glass, motor, speaker, or wiring) on Monday. I will install it all myself. Should be able to do it all for under $1,000.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
The important thing is that you are ok.

My Wife's uncle had a close encounter with a moose at around midnight, while driving on the Trans Canada Highway from Toronto to Sudbury a few weeks ago.

He was driving a Toyota Matrix and saw a flash out of the corner of his eye, and caught the moose in the leg. He was not hurt at all. The damage to his car was quoted at $4500 CDN, and the moose walked away like nothing happened.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, TC is within an hour of me.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see. Living in Manistee, Traverse City is the closest shopping center - and the closest Kia dealer. If you ever need service done, and you are in TC, see Ken at Williams Kia, he is great. We find ourselves in Muskegon quite often for shopping, and the closest mall with decent amount of outlets is Rivertown Crossings in Grandville. I have a friend who lives off of Burlingame. I have an aunt and uncle who live in Marne.

·
Registered
sedona ts previous st170 standard ford focus orion fiesta diesel best of all ford granada ghia
32 Posts
i hit a deer in Aberdeen scotland in the uk a few years ago. was not going fast about 40mph but it was a large one . smacked it full on as i was braking it just skidded along on its side in front of me got up and sprinted off. absolutely no damage to my car . just a missed chance for a years free dinner

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
We live 2 miles from Rivertown mall, my sister in-law leased her Sonata from Williams, its her second one.
The first one she went over on miles but she brought the car back in such good shape they did not charge her for the overage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts