Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has experienced what sounds like creaky ceiling/bulkhead (or maybe rear interior hatch) trim? It 2012 SX with sunroof/moonroof combo. I've pulled the strofoam tray under the rear cargo area to eliminate that, and removed all cargo. It's moslty going over bumpy roads/pulling into a driveway at any kind of angle (straight on seems to be okay), which makes me think its the body flex/torque causing it. Anyone else experience it? It's not a ticking noise and not constant. Sounds like a creaky old house any time the body flexes/twists.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I have the same noise, and it's the only one I haven't really figured out yet :S

It only happens on rare occasion on really rough roads, but mainly going up driveways or going over speedbumps at an angle, normally when one wheel's suspension compresses and the others do not.

I had originally thought it was the rubber (weatherstripping) on the rear hatch, but after lubricating it, the sound didn't go away, but the rubber is quiet now. I also lubricated the rear suspension control arms and sway bar bushings as well as the hatch striker, problem still remains.

·
Registered
2012 SX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My initial thought is the plastic bulkhead between the two sunroofs. If you reach your finger up in behind the front sunroof it feels like there is some kind of plastic bulkhead/piece that traverses from side to side. Either way, it sounds like it is coming form behind me and I think from inside. Hadn't even thought of the suspension- although they replaced parts of that on my old 2011 when it had a different rattle/interior trim issue. It's defintiely not the sunglasses container-I played with that when I first noticed it. The trim on the inside of the back hatch door is not held very well to the body itself- I'm wondering if it might be that. That's the piece that has the little access doors for the tail light bulbs and emergency hatch release. I even popped those little doors out to see if that made a differance. It drives me nuts-my parents 2005 Honda Pilot is quiet as a mouse- and I figure KIA should be able to at least match that! =)

·
Registered
2012 SX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well took it to the dealer and verdict is . . . it's normal operation. Chalk it up to one of those until I find the cause/issue it won't be solved. I'm not too worried as it isn't an all the time thing. Half to go for a ride while sitting in the back seat and try and track it down better.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I think I have confirmed the culprit for these noises. After prodding around in my car, I closed the sun visor (shade) of the sunroof and put my hand between the shade and the roof lining. There is a metal feeling cross member that runs from side to side between the front and back section of the panorama roof. I pushed that crossmember with my fingertips and on the driver's side, that metal come in contact with *something* and you get a loud "tick". After I found this, I sat up as tall as I could in my seat while going over a speed bump at an angle and indeed confirmed it sounds like the "creak" is coming right from that cross member that makes the tick sound. Because of the acoustic resonance in the cabin of a car, it is not surprising it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear of the car. I believe it would also be worth checking this same area at the rear sun shade.

A piece of sticky felt or insulating foam would need to go between the cross member and whatever it is contacting. Because the headliner must be removed, and clips up there are prone to breakage, I highly suggest every takes it to the dealer to fix this rather than take on the task themselves.

See the link below for the same problem in the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata, see post 61:

Creaky Sunroof? - Page 7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts